LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
slantoflight

Distribution: Smoothwall

Rep: Reputation: 35
DHCP, Madwifi, Fedora Core 4 x86_64 destined to fail?

OK. I'm getting some really unusual behavior with my wifi. As far as I can tell, the driver works, but it seems no matter I do, dhcp will not work. I try running the network gui. Now when I set a static ip everything works fine. Atheros device activated and everythings jake. But when I try to connect to my router using dhcp, I get a box that says Determining ip information for ath0...
After I wait forever, it says failed. Also, if I activate and deactivate my wifi card too many times, it crashes my computer.

So I try setting it manually.

iwconfig ath0 channel 6
iwconfig ath0 rate auto
iwconfig ath0 essid linksys

ifconfig ath0 up

dhclient ath0

Still nothing

Old 09-02-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
axobeauvi

Rep: Reputation: 16
shouldn't it be eth0 ?
maybe it's just a fedora thing

Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
geeksunny
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu Dapper beta, Gentoo 2005.1, Slackware 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hmm. For mine I have always used dhcpcd for getting an address and it's always worked for me. I've also never used dhclient before.

can you manually set an address and then talk to the router? if it doesn't respond to you then there might be something wrong with the wireless hardware on one side or the other, and not the DHCP client.

Quote:
Originally posted by axobeauvi
shouldn't it be eth0 ?
maybe it's just a fedora thing
the madwifi driver is for Atheros based cards, which is why it makes an ath0

Last edited by geeksunny; 09-02-2005 at 09:19 PM.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
tachou
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi friend,
Ca you post part of the log message with the error on it? me be I can help you
Tachou

Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
big_mac126

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 15
from http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to..._card_manually

Quote:
NOTE!
At the moment there is a problem within the madwifi driver or wpa_supplicant passing dhcp. Thatīs why I use a fixed IP.

There are two patches one for wpa_supllicant (http://hostap.epitest.fi/bugz/show_bug.cgi?id=63) and one for madwifi
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux...fi.devel/1275). Each one is supposed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantoflight
OK. I'm getting some really unusual behavior with my wifi. As far as I can tell, the driver works, but it seems no matter I do, dhcp will not work. I try running the network gui. Now when I set a static ip everything works fine. Atheros device activated and everythings jake. But when I try to connect to my router using dhcp, I get a box that says Determining ip information for ath0...
After I wait forever, it says failed. Also, if I activate and deactivate my wifi card too many times, it crashes my computer.

So I try setting it manually.

iwconfig ath0 channel 6
iwconfig ath0 rate auto
iwconfig ath0 essid linksys

ifconfig ath0 up

dhclient ath0

Still nothing

Old 01-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
Mr_C

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
Actually I'm using the madwifi driver in Ad-Hoc mode whith dhcp right now, both of which according to madwifi has bugs. Maybe I'm just lucky but I too use 'dhcpcd ath0' and it works fine.