LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

View Poll Results: Site Requires Makeover
Yes 13 20.97%
No 49 79.03%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
abattoir

Distribution: Kubuntu 6.10

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question Does the site require a makeover?

Is the site old-fashioned and 90s-styled? Or do you think it is pleasant to the eye(or something like that).

Seems pretty archaic to me.

Ok, some of the mods may post back saying there is no time(or even ask me to post in the website suggestion/feedback section) or something like that, but i just wanted to gather user opinion .

Old 08-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #2
Matir
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Arch

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Well, my question is: could you point to some alternative design? I think key points including being easy to read, maintaining a sensible layout, and no huge CSS/javascript/images? is there a site you particularly like the layout of?

Old 08-15-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
abattoir

Original Poster
Yeah, there are lots, Neowin.net
for starters.

I think it depends on the Bulletin Board package though.

For vBulletin,used by LQ, i found this site
http://vbstyles.com/forum/index.php?styleid=105

Edit:
http://vbstyles.com/
see the skins section below.

Last edited by abattoir; 08-15-2005 at 12:58 AM.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
kencaz

Distribution: Mandriva Slackware FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 48
No I don't think it's old fashion... It's a Forum... You ask a question and it get's answered... what more do you want... If I could give cake and balloons with my replies I would...

I really like the alternate reply color's... It really helps separate the thread...

KC

Old 08-15-2005, 01:05 AM   #5
Matir
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Arch

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
mmm, cake would be nice.

oh, yeah, forum. Well, all those nice rounded buttons and so forth translate into more bandwidth and more server load, which means less responsive LQ

Old 08-15-2005, 01:28 AM   #6
alred

Distribution: puppy and Ubuntu and ... erh ... redhat(sort of) :( ... + the venerable bsd and solaris ^_^

Rep: Reputation: 31
either i would like to see the usage of avater or a fully text based pages , bandwidth and server load , i donno , 5 mm or 5 grams ?? i think i'm irresponsible or what ...

Old 08-15-2005, 01:37 AM   #7
kencaz

Distribution: Mandriva Slackware FreeBSD

Avatar's may be pretty but I would not see the practical use for them... Would people give you a more quality answer depending on the cool picture next to your name...? I realize that humans are visual creatures and thats why the CLI has gone downhill but, I don't think it's neede here...

KC

Old 08-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
vharishankar

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
While one could argue that it looks old/dated and so on, it is functional and that's what matters in the end. In fact, Jeremy has mentioned that the forum underlying vBulletin code will be upgraded sometime in the near future, so yes, as far as functionality is concerned the board will be updated.

As for the colour scheme, the current blue/grey colour scheme is very cool to the eyes, unlike some of the monstrosities in orange and yellow that I get a headache seeing for more than a few moments. It's a nice colour and doesn't hurt us to read the text, is fairly well structured, so that's what matters in the end. I'm sure a lot of long-time LQers will agree with me that the current colour scheme just works well and there's no need to change it at all.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:43 AM   #9
alred

Distribution: puppy and Ubuntu and ... erh ... redhat(sort of) :( ... + the venerable bsd and solaris ^_^

Rep: Reputation: 31
bah ... not that deep , avater are just avater , just for fun and something related personally , i think its fun to see the avaters of others members who are unrelated to you , sometimes we can even poke some funs out of it ...

not really want to "vote" for it , i never even go into that polling , what for , not my type , feels like a busybody ...

Last edited by alred; 08-15-2005 at 02:21 AM.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:02 AM   #10
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 77
Jeremy is already working on major upgrades to the site. Take a look at the website suggestions and feedback forum to find out some of the new features he will be including in the site and also reasons for not including features like avtars.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 AM   #11
floppywhopper

Distribution: Mageia , Centos

Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
I voted no ( as far as looks are concerned )
when you talk about a 90's look being out of date I laugh
because I remember the 60's and 70's when miniskirts and bellbottoms were fashionable, then they went out of fashion, now strangely enough they're back in fashion
so fashions come and go
I think Avatars are a waste of space, I think the same of post counts too - theyr'e irrelevant

What I think the site needs, I've already said in the feedback section of LQ and that I think Ads and control panels need to be repositioned with a 800x600 screen in mind. Many times a Q will come up about logout buttons or some other feature at the side, and I wonder if the person is looking at 800x600 where you have to scroll across to find it. If all the google ads were put at the side and the MyLQ & Main Menu currently down the side went to the space where the google ads sit at the top of the page, enhance the menu already there at the top, then I reckon a lot of those Qs would be solved.

But apart from that, the site looks great

floppy

Old 08-15-2005, 03:09 AM   #12
abattoir

Original Poster
What do you guys think of 'Importance' of a post. For example, a post which needs attention(like when somebody needs urgent help) should be higher up in the list on new posts(or threadlist), than a post where somebody thanks somebody else for the help he/she has received.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:09 AM   #13
scuzzman

Distribution: Slackware, Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally posted by abattoir
What do you guys think of 'Importance' of a post. For example, a post which needs attention(like when somebody needs urgent help) should be higher up in the list on new posts(or threadlist), than a post where somebody thanks somebody else for the help he/she has received.
And just what designates an "Urgent" post?

Old 08-15-2005, 04:20 AM   #14
oneandoneis2

Distribution: Ubuntu

Easy: It's a post that has a subject like "Please help: URGENT!!!"

Old 08-15-2005, 05:36 AM   #15
vharishankar

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Bah.. there should be no such thing. All questions are equally important or unimportant whichever way you look at it. It doesn't make sense that just because somebody tags their post as "urgent" that makes it urgent for all of us who spend our time in helping others without expecting any returns.

Quite frankly, if anybody genuinely needs "urgent help" with any problem they should pay for somebody to come and deal with the problem on location. They have no business on a free online help forum.