LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
luminousnerd

Distribution: Slackware 10.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Kubuntu PS/2 Mouse problems...

Hello, I have a PS/2 mouse that will not work. I have 20 systems I need to get Kubuntu on ASAP...all are the same system, an emachine T3395 and mouse is a PS/2 ballmouse.

X will start, but the mouse does nothing.

I have tried cat, less, and od on the mouse. Nothing happens.
I have directly edited my xorg.conf file, many different ways. I spend about 3 straight hours doing so. The default Ubuntu configuration seems to be the only thing that will allow X to start, otherwise it gripes about the mouse.
I have checked that the modules are loaded - mousedev and psmouse are both loaded.
I used one of my own PS/2 mice and it also wouldn't work. I tried the original mouse on my own system, and it worked fine. I thought it might be the port itself, so I swapped machines and put Kubuntu on the same way. The same thing happened. It can't be a hardware issue.
I checked the BIOS settings, nothing seemed wrong, but I did a "reset to optimized defaults" anyway. It did not help anything.

It seems I've blasted every possibility, I could really use some advice! Thanks!

Old 08-05-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
runlevel0

Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (“Lenny”)

Rep: Reputation: 31
Re: Kubuntu PS/2 Mouse problems...

Quote:
Originally posted by luminousnerd
Hello, I have a PS/2 mouse that will not work. I have 20 systems I need to get Kubuntu on ASAP...all are the same system, an emachine T3395 and mouse is a PS/2 ballmouse.

X will start, but the mouse does nothing.
First of all:

Code:
lsmod | grep evdev
lsmod | grep psmouse
If not

Code:
modprobe evdev
modprobe psmouse
Second check /etc/xorg.conf for the PS mouse being used as corepointer. Normally this should be the case, but check anyway:
Quote:
Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxis Mapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection
Ensure that the Mouse1 section points where it needs to point to, and also that it's finally reffered as corepointer.

If you alter module settings don't forget to run modules-update.

Last edited by runlevel0; 08-05-2005 at 05:24 AM.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
luminousnerd

Original Poster
Re: Re: Kubuntu PS/2 Mouse problems...

Quote:
Originally posted by runlevel0
First of all:

Code:
lsmod | grep evdev
lsmod | grep psmouse
If not

Code:
modprobe evdev
modprobe psmouse
Second check /etc/xorg.conf for the PS mouse being used as corepointer. Normally this should be the case, but check anyway:

Ensure that the Mouse1 section points where it needs to point to, and also that it's finally reffered as corepointer.

If you alter module settings don't forget to run modules-update.
Hello, I had already checked all of that. But thanks anyway! I managed to get it fixed by setting the xorg.conf device to /dev/psaux instead of /dev/input/mice...and then I had to unplug mouse, turn off, unplug pc, plug mouse, plug pc, and turn on....strange but it worked alright

Old 08-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
runlevel0

Re: Re: Re: Kubuntu PS/2 Mouse problems...

Quote:
Originally posted by luminousnerd
Hello, I had already checked all of that. But thanks anyway! I managed to get it fixed by setting the xorg.conf device to /dev/psaux instead of /dev/input/mice...and then I had to unplug mouse, turn off, unplug pc, plug mouse, plug pc, and turn on....strange but it worked alright
Not so strange, as /dev/psaux is an *emulated* por now which is only there for backwards compatibility.
The problem occur when you use USB as the kernel doesn't know if it's USB who has to emulate /dev/psaux or evdev...
Another way to correct it is unlaoding the USB drivers, loading the evedev and psmouse and then reloading the USB drivers.

I don't know how you can alter the module loading sequence in Debian/Ubuntu, in Gentoo we use a simple list /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6 and simply putting psmouse and evdev the first makes everything run fine.

Regards

Last edited by runlevel0; 08-05-2005 at 06:48 AM.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
luminousnerd

Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Re: Kubuntu PS/2 Mouse problems...

Quote:
Not so strange, as /dev/psaux is an *emulated* por now which is only there for backwards compatibility.
The problem occur when you use USB as the kernel doesn't know if it's USB who has to emulate /dev/psaux or evdev...
Another way to correct it is unlaoding the USB drivers, loading the evedev and psmouse and then reloading the USB drivers.

I don't know how you can alter the module loading sequence in Debian/Ubuntu, in Gentoo we use a simple list /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6 and simply putting psmouse and evdev the first makes everything run fine.

Regards
Thanks and yes, Gentoo is superior, but I was looking for fast setup and everything I didn't get it anyway, heh

Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
runlevel0

I doesn't mind which is superior, only that I can't remember where Debian stores the list with the modules to load, I know there is one (not /etc/modules.conf) so that the OS knows what modules to load first and which load after the others.

I like every distro and I'm a defender of binary distros, just take mine as an example when I can't stat where a file is. I have been Debian user for almost 10 years and promote the use of Ubuntu every time I can.

Fast setup is also an advantage and a factor to take into account. I just use Gentoo because it fits my needs better for my particular purpose and setup.

Superior is the distro which better works for you, and the beauty of Linux and FOSS is that we can choose.

BTW: Ubuntu also has one thing which makes it way superior: Instead of a cow or a penguin it has this wonderful cute black girl with these precious big eyes...

Old 08-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
luminousnerd

Original Poster
Quote:
I doesn't mind which is superior, only that I can't remember where Debian stores the list with the modules to load, I know there is one (not /etc/modules.conf) so that the OS knows what modules to load first and which load after the others.

I like every distro and I'm a defender of binary distros, just take mine as an example when I can't stat where a file is. I have been Debian user for almost 10 years and promote the use of Ubuntu every time I can.

Fast setup is also an advantage and a factor to take into account. I just use Gentoo because it fits my needs better for my particular purpose and setup.

Superior is the distro which better works for you, and the beauty of Linux and FOSS is that we can choose.

BTW: Ubuntu also has one thing which makes it way superior: Instead of a cow or a penguin it has this wonderful cute black girl with these precious big eyes...
I'm not sure what girl you refer to, but ok :P