LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
thomasfingram

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 15
Unhappy Can't get online

I am very new to Linux. I set up Slackware 10.1 and by default (I installed everything) it doesn't get online. I have it connected to a router (Linksys RT31P2) and was only able to get online after opening a console, logging in as root and typing 'dhcpcd'. When I rebooted, it didn't get a new IP address. I can't have to renew the IP address manually everytime the machine boots up! (This computer is for my sister.) How do I get around this?

Btw I have a Windows machine also attached to this router, and it can get online just fine. Also I'd like to be able access a Linux share (/shared) from both machines.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
zhangmaike

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 31
dhcpcd will have to be run somehow, every time the computer reboots. If you don't want to do this manually (that'd get old quickly) you can try to use the Slackware network configuration tool. (As root, run netconfig)

If that doesn't work for any reason, you can make dhcpcd run automatically by adding the line "dhcpcd" to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local. You can do that, as root, with:
Code:
echo "dhcpcd" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
The prefered way would be to use netconfig, though.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #3
lasindi

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
zhangmaike addressed your first issue (DHCP), but you'll need to use Samba to do file sharing between Windows and Linux. An excellent tutorial I came across is at http://www.samba.netfirms.com/. The tutorial explains how to write your own /etc/samba/smb.conf, but there is also an example smb.conf included with Slackware with lots of comments to help guide you as you customize it.

lasindi

Old 07-05-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
pvs

Distribution: Something self-made

Rep: Reputation: 16
dhcpcd usually starts when in network configuration is setting to get ip addres automatically