LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
sausagejohnson

Distribution: Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Fedora Core 4 bad gcc?

Has anyone else had problems compiling a kernel with Fedora Core 4? I had the 2.6.11.8 compiled nicely with Fedora Core 3 and I kept my config file safe in the /boot directory. Since upgrading to FC4 (and killing alsa - but that's another story), compiling my 2.6.11.8 again using my good config file results in kernel errors.

I have heard that the gcc 4.0 is bad in this release. I have since rolled back to the gcc from FC3 which had to be forced and broke a lot of tools. Yes as I type, the compile is getting further in and seems to verify the rumour.

I'll have to upgrade gcc back to FC4's gcc to fix my broken nmap amongst other tools once the compile goes through. Anyone else have issues compiling a kernel?

Old 07-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
sausagejohnson

Original Poster
I feel so dirty...

Everything compiled ok. I sure broke things forcing a downgrade. Once I rebooted into my perfect 2.6.11.8 kernel, KDE wouldn't boot and has a popup saying kdeinit cannot start which dropped me back to the graphical login. So I used gnome instead. Then I tried to rpm back to the FC4 packages and rpm complained of a missing library.

Turns out a simple ldconfig was needed and the all the gcc packages came back. Logged out and back into KDE.

What an ordeal. I guess the question should be: has ANYONE here compiled a kernel using FC4?

Old 07-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
v00d00101

Distribution: Devuan Beowulf

Rep: Reputation: 37
Why not grab a compat lib to allow gcc 3.2 again.

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...&system=&arch=

Much easier than messing with downgrades.

As for the kernel yes, i have compiled a custom one with success.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
sausagejohnson

Original Poster
Thanks for that. I'll give it a shot. Although you said you have done it, have you done it without this compatible library or with?

Old 07-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
kagesenshi
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
ive compiled a 2.6.12 kernel using FC4 .... my kernel compiled completely .... and it run without any problem .....

fyi. during the compiling... im using the default FC4 installation.... no patch ... no additional softwares beside the cores ..... only the ones from the CDs

Old 07-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #6
sausagejohnson

Original Poster
As it turns out, I already have compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.fc4.i386.rpm installed. Do I have to change a setting to make GCC take notice of it? Some sort of default somewhere?

Last edited by sausagejohnson; 07-05-2005 at 08:43 AM.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
v00d00101

Distribution: Devuan Beowulf

Rep: Reputation: 37
There is a new 2.6.12 kernel available for download via whatever you use (yum, up2date, apt, etc).

Try installing that, then rebuilding it to your spec.

As for my custom kernel, yeh i built it long before i installed compat libs. I dont know what advice to offer on it except maybe consider creating a new config file. So many things have probably changed between fc3 and fc4, things beyond the gcc version. Without trawling thru the mailing lists its probably going to be a pain to work out what broke.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
sausagejohnson

Original Poster
Yeah I might just compile the 2.6.12 and be done with it. I was just concerned that my ATi card would need patching but it didn't need it this time around. Thanks.