LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
titanium_geek

Distribution: elementary os 5.1

Rep: Reputation: 50
Debian config help

Hi. I hate this type of thread- but hey, I'm desperate! I have come along on my way to a multiple distro box- slackware has been installed, and now, I have debian. I have to admit that slackware seems to be more "me" but hey, I'm in this to LEARN so I will LEARN, I will beat this...

1) Monitor. have run the dpkg-reconfigure and AHHH... I can't get my resolution to be anything bigger than 800x640 (eh, whatever it is) I know my monitor can cope with a bigger (smaller?) resolution... 1040Xwhatever it is

2)partitioning. I have shared /home /usr /tmp partitions, the problem is during the install (net install btw) it looked like it would have re formated and written over these- no way did I want to do that, so I just formated the partition- So, how can I get debian to recognise and use these shared partitions

I am happy to do a reinstall if that's what it's going to take- someone help me please. I want a lean mean machine.... help?

Debian newbie...

titanium_geek

Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Xian

Distribution: SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by titanium_geek
1) Monitor. have run the dpkg-reconfigure and AHHH... I can't get my resolution to be anything bigger than 800x640 (eh, whatever it is) I know my monitor can cope with a bigger (smaller?) resolution... 1040Xwhatever it is
First thing I'd check is that in your x-config, under the 'Section "Monitor"', that you have the correct (as provided by your manufacturer) HorizSync & VertRefresh rates. If those are not on spec it will definitely not allow you to set a higher resolution.

Quote:
Originally posted by titanium_geek
2)partitioning. I have shared /home /usr /tmp partitions, the problem is during the install (net install btw) it looked like it would have re formated and written over these- no way did I want to do that, so I just formated the partition- So, how can I get debian to recognise and use these shared partitions
When I did the net install and chose the Manual Partition module, it enabled me to (1) select the filesystem, (2) choose the mountpoint name, and (3) select whether or not to format the partition. If this is not sufficient then you could always use those shared partitions after the install by just mounting them under the proper names in you fstab file. I do this all the time when my root partition gets a little swelled and I want to split off some paths. That way I don't have to resize anything to get some more space.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
titanium_geek

Original Poster
thanks for the response.

1) Monitor: ok, I will check that - thanks for the heads up.

2) fstab- where is this located ;0) I'll look for it..

thanks...

titanium_geek

Old 06-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
johnMG

Distribution: Debian Sarge (server), Etch (work/home)

Rep: Reputation: 32
Regarding the monitor problem, which package did you dpkg-reconfigure? Also, there's nothing wrong with manually editing your XF86Config file (a la Slackware) if the dpkg-reconfigure doesn't do what you want. You could also use the xf86config program.

Regarding the partitions, fstab is in /etc. See "man fstab" for more info.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
titanium_geek

Original Poster
here's what fixed it:

1)ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and found my monitor specs on google... using the "medium" option, chose the highest possible for my limitation of 65Hz

2)cfdisk /dev/hdb to see what partitions I had
jed.. no jed??? ARGH!! pico? yep, we have pico, so:
pico /etc/fstab
added the partitions and mount point, is defaults ok under options?

thanks!! - btw what the heck is MTA and why does it take so long starting up on boot up?

EDIT= mail transfer agent.

titanium_geek

Last edited by titanium_geek; 09-13-2005 at 04:28 PM.