LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
t3gah

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 30
this just in......

some cracker got ahold of my gmail account and changed all of the information so that I can't even authenticate with the security question! LOL.

gmail... just don't use it.

gmail sent me some note to use their online support thing which can't be used if someone changes the info.

this person did the same thing for yahoo account. rofl

---------
Web based e-Mail, just don't use it

Old 06-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
t3gah

Original Poster
this same cracker signed my phone line up to AOL (America Online) via the web AOL thingy. Too funny!

I got billed for it though, which wasn't funny at all.

With the web browsers that aren;t secure, Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox and Internet Explorer and the lack of security ever so often from OpenSSL and SSH, the INternet is doing just fine..... same ole, same ole.

Mom's always warning their children about how unsafe being on the INternet is, etc. ROFL

Old 06-12-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
t3gah

Original Poster

Quote:
Subject: [#27953513] Google Password Recovery Support
10:36 AM 6/12/05 +0000
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. You are receiving this message because you indicated that you are having trouble logging in to your Gmail account.

There are a few common reasons why Gmail users sometimes have trouble logging in to their accounts. If you cannot log in, please follow this troubleshooting checklist:

ARE YOU USING THE CORRECT USERNAME?
Make sure that you are entering the same username you provided during the Gmail account set-up process.

If you cannot remember your exact username, you may be able to retrieve it by clicking on the link in your Gmail invitation. If you received an email from the Gmail Team at your secondary address after creating your account,
you can also retrieve your username from this message.

Please note that you must enter any dots (.) that were originally defined as part of your username to log in to Gmail. Also, hyphens (-) and underscores (_) cannot be used in Gmail usernames.

ARE YOU ENTERING EXTRA SPACES WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO LOGIN?
Our login system is space sensitive, so please do not enter any extra spaces before or after your login information.

ARE YOU USING THE CORRECT PASSWORD?
If you are unsure of or have forgotten your password, you can retrieve it by clicking 'Forgot your password?' on the login page. Under no circumstances can the Gmail Team retrieve your password. Please note that the password field is case sensitive, so make sure you are using the correct capitalization.

To reset your password, please follow these steps:

1. Go to https://gmail.google.com.
2. Click 'Forgot your password?.'
3. Enter your Gmail email address, and click 'Submit.'

* Please note that you must enter your Gmail email address in the 'Email:' field to proceed with resetting your password.

HAVE YOU CLEARED YOUR BROWSER'S CACHE?
It may be necessary to clear your browser's cache when using some versions of Internet Explorer.

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer:

1. Click the 'Tools' menu at the top of your browser, and select 'Internet Options.'
2. Click the 'General' tab at the top of the dialogue box.
3. Click 'Delete Files' under 'Temporary Internet files.'
4. Select 'Delete all offline content' by checking the box.
5. Click 'OK.'

DELETED GMAIL ACCOUNTS
If you have deleted your Gmail account, there is currently no way to re-enable it. Each invite link provides a user with the ability to create one account. As Gmail is in a limited test period, and we only occasionally issue a small number of new user invitations, we are unable to provide you with a second invitation at this time.

PLEASE NOTE:
Google Accounts users are not provided with access to Gmail. Google is offering a preview release of Gmail, so this service is only available to a small group of test users.

STILL HAVING LOGIN PROBLEMS?
If you continue to have trouble logging in to your account, please reply to this message and provide us with as much detail as possible, including any error messages that you receive, and the full link from your invitation message. This information will help us assist you in accessing your Gmail account.

Sincerely,

The Gmail Team

Last edited by t3gah; 06-12-2005 at 09:07 AM.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
t3gah

Original Poster
I keep emailing them to delete my account from my local *now.com acct, but they keep referring me to the web tool.

lame.

if they won't respond from the alternate account on record, how can someone resolve a situation like this is what I'm wondering.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
LQ.org is not a place to discuss issues you may have with third party providers, please keep such topics out of these forums.

This thread has been reported to be closed at this time.

Regards.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
t3gah

Original Poster
I guess the description of the General forum needs to be clarified then because I'm not at fault even if you say so and close this thread.

Talk to the admin of LQ.org

Old 06-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
t3gah

Original Poster
General [View new posts]
This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php

Note how the quote from the link above says "non-Linux topics". That means ANYTHING.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
trickykid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by t3gah
General [View new posts]
This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/index.php?s=

Note how the quote from the link above says "non-Linux topics". That means ANYTHING.
I understand this topic would go in this forum but under your circumstances and you dealing with Google on your Gmail account is a personal matter LQ.org would rather not be involved with, for many reasons.

We are not a forum or site to place your disputes with other third parties on. If you don't like this unwritten rule, talk to the admin who has closed many of these types of threads in the past and we'll continue to do so in the future.

This is the rule we have that this would fall under:

"The owners of LinuxQuestions.org have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

So we don't have a novel written just for every single rule or policies we have in place for an online site like this. So just because its not written in our rules, it always will usually fall under the rule I just mentioned.

Last edited by trickykid; 06-12-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
Mega Man X
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL

Rep: Reputation: 65
Actually, there's a line at www.linuxquestions.org/rules.php which stands:

Quote:
Posts containing information about cracking, piracy, warez, fraud or any topic that could be damaging to either LinuxQuestions.org or any third party will be immediately removed.
You are talking about other companies (third party) policies in here, which is not allowed. Yet, not everything has to be described on the rules (which are subject to change at any time) it's more a common sense. Will you talk about drugs, sex, whatever in here just because it's general?. Not "EVERYTHING" goes. And how is it going with your blog? Done yet? You surely need one

Old 06-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
trickykid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Megaman X
Actually, there's a line at www.linuxquestions.org/rules.php which stands:

You are talking about other companies (third party) policies in here, which is not allowed. Yet, not everything has to be described on the rules (which are subject to change at any time) it's more a common sense. Will you talk about drugs, sex, whatever in here just because it's general?. Not "EVERYTHING" goes. And how is it going with your blog? Done yet? You surely need one
That one as well.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
Mega Man X
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL

Rep: Reputation: 65

Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #12
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
if you want to write about this sort of thing, i STRONGLY suggest you go get yourself a blog somewhere...

Old 06-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
Mara

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 232Reputation: 232Reputation: 232
Posting such threads doesn't help you with the problem. It's between you and Gmail. The thread is closed.

Closed Thread