LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
verbose

Distribution: deb lenny 2.6.21-amd64

Rep: Reputation: 31
Deb3R5: Boot process fails

The boot process fails at "frame=cc00 ... " It attempts to load Caldera Linux DR-DOS but is unable to even make it past the initial "diagnostic."

This is simply a bootable cd with Debian 3.0R5 ISO on it.
I've waited a couple of minutes to see if it eventually continues the process but it doesn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Old 04-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
verbose

Original Poster
Sorry, but is anyone going to help me out?

I tried the bootdisc on an older Compaq Presario with Win98 installed and it works fine, but on my ~6-year old HP Pavilion with Windows XP it just stalls. The only reason I can find for this would obviously be my cd-writer is cobbled up, but I don't know why this would be the case and plus, it is able to read the media... it just halts prematurely.

On the Compaq I get to a point where Debian appears to cache the files to a logical a: drive and I am presented with some options (eg: /mlk). Is it possible that Debian is unable to cache the files to memory..? I can't see why this would be the case, either, and plus, supposedly it doesn't cache them until the user types dpms /***.

I don't know what is going on... Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited by verbose; 04-28-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
verbose

Original Poster
I'm near certain I have now resolved this by using the Debian raw 'vanilla' bootdisks.

For others experiencing this same problem... you can find the appropriate bootdisk files here (chapter: 4.2.3)

Last edited by verbose; 04-29-2005 at 09:29 AM.