LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
abattoir

Distribution: Kubuntu 6.10

Rep: Reputation: 30
KDE 3.4 konstruct problem

I am downloading kde 3.4 using konstruct, during ''Running make in work/kdelibs-3.4.0'', while compiling kextsock.cpp, I get the following messages:
Code:
In file included from libkdecore_la.all_cpp.cpp:64:
kextsock.cpp: In member function `bool KExtendedSocket::setAddressReusable(bool)':
kextsock.cpp:504: warning: `setAddressReusable' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.h:1005)
kextsock.cpp: In member function `const KSocketAddress* KExtendedSocket::localAddress()':
kextsock.cpp:719: warning: `localAddress' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.h:977)
kextsock.cpp: In member function `const KSocketAddress* KExtendedSocket::peerAddress()':
kextsock.cpp:734: warning: `peerAddress' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.h:986)
kextsock.cpp: In member function `virtual int KExtendedSocket::listen(int)':
kextsock.cpp:860: warning: `setAddressReusable' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.cpp:513)
kextsock.cpp: In member function `virtual int KExtendedSocket::connect()':
kextsock.cpp:1039: warning: `setAddressReusable' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.cpp:513)
kextsock.cpp:1061: warning: `setAddressReusable' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.cpp:513)
kextsock.cpp: In member function `void KExtendedSocket::connectionEvent()':
kextsock.cpp:1850: warning: `setAddressReusable' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.cpp:513)
kextsock.cpp:1874: warning: `setAddressReusable' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.cpp:513)
kextsock.cpp: In static member function `static int KExtendedSocket::resolve(KSocketAddress*, QString&, QString&, int)':
kextsock.cpp:1982: warning: `resolve' is deprecated (declared at kextsock.cpp:1964)
After this nothing happens for a very very long time. I know konstruct takes a long time, but everything before this went smoothly. I have tried restarting make and have even deleted and restarted the entire process but it hangs at this point. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
P.s.:Sorry for the long post; I use mandrake 10.1

Last edited by abattoir; 04-06-2005 at 12:06 PM.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
abattoir

Original Poster
Sorry, forgot to mention, during one of the many times I ran make, after the above mentioned messages(and a really long time!) i got this
Code:
kconfigbackend.cpp: In member function `void            KConfigINIBackEnd:: parseSingleConfigFile(QFile&, KEntryMap*, bool, bool)':
kconfigbackend.cpp:430: warning: variable 's' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or                                            `vfork'
kconfigbackend.cpp:431: warning: variable 'eof' might be clobbered by `longjmp'                                            or `vfork'
I dont know if the problem is in kextsock.cpp or kconfigbackend.cpp. Is the eof not being detected and hence is the program running over some file over and over again??

Thanks

Last edited by abattoir; 04-06-2005 at 12:02 PM.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Do you know which version of gcc you are using to compile this with? Also, is there no way you can download the rpm's from Thac's site for KDE3.4? I'm not trying to put you off compiling the applicaition, but unless you *have* to compile from scratch I'd use the rpm's for compatability reasons.

But anyway, if you want to compile from scratch then try using a different version of gcc and take off any compiler optimisations that you may have set. Also, the output you have provided are just warnings, so unless you've set the compiler to not ignore warnings the application should continue compiling until it reaches an 'error' and not a 'warning'.

HTH

Old 04-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #4
abattoir

Original Poster
I have gcc 3.4.1. I have no problems downloading from thac's site, but almost everybody says the rpms have some kind of issue or the other with them. I almost always have problems while compiling, so always prefer rpms, but nobody except thac have the rpms. Even kde site has rpms for SuSe, Red Hat, but not for mandrake.

No, i dont have any compiler optimizations, the reason i posted this is not because compilation stops, but it does not stop!!! I think it is caught in an endless loop, a recursive function or an eof of a file is not being detected.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #5
CragStar

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
When you first posted that you said nothing happened for a very long time, how long did you wait and did you check the CPU usage to see if anything was running? I'm just wondering if there was something going on but that it needed to take a long time to compile. I'm guessing you don't receive any output though which leads you to think that nothing happening?

I'd try it again and run 'top' from a command line to see what processes are running. If gcc is running then I'd imagine that the compilation is still happening, it's just taking a long time.

I know it's basic stuff, but I thought I'd check it anyway.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 AM   #6
abattoir

Original Poster
I have waited at that point for upto 14hrs. The processes before this take about 2hrs 30mins. totally. CPU usage was 100% continuously(during the above mentioned point). I know gcc is running, as i have said before it could be some error where gcc is in an endless loop or something.

I'm going to download from thac's but his site is so slow!!

Thanks. if you have any ideas as to why i face this problem, please post it here. I'd prefer to compile than download rpms from thac's going by what other users have got to say..

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:56 AM   #7
mkoljack

Distribution: Fedora Core 4, Suse 9.3

KDE 3.4

I use Fedora Core 3. Before kde 3.4 stable release came out, I compiled it from source, and it took hours even though it went well. After 3.4 was released, I followed these instructions from the SourceForge site:

http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

I used the YUM tool and I had kde 3.4 installed in maybe 10 minutes and it is working great. A huge advantage to using the tools available. So, I recommend using yum, apt, or whatever packaging tool comes with your distro, install the 3.4 rpms, and have fun faster. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 AM   #8
abattoir

Original Poster
As far as i know my urpmi source does not have kde 3.4. And isnt the link you posted hosting kde compiled for red hat. Fedora is almost red hat so i dont think you might have a problem, but i am sure i will.
Thanks for your reply though.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
mkoljack

Mandrake KDE 3.4 RPM's

My understanding is the Thac's Mandrake RPM's are rock solid. I did a bit of homework for you and if you follow link #1, you will be able to add this repo to URPMI. Thac's list of Mandrake KDE 3.4 packages is listed in link #2. Good luck!

Lind #1 - http://learn.clemsonlinux.org/wiki/M...#Thac.27s_RPMs

Link #2 - http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.2/RPMS/ ###

###Be sure to look down the list to a folder named "kde-3.4.0/"

Old 04-07-2005, 03:08 AM   #10
mkoljack

By the way

You may want to edit your profile in this site to add your distribution "Mandrake 10.x". People will be able to help you better and faster because your distro will post with your name. Right now yours is blank. Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:11 AM   #11
abattoir

Original Poster
Yup will update profile, i am taking your word and am doing exactly as you say. I will post a follow up after trying thac.
Thanks.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:18 AM   #12
mkoljack

kde 3.4

I also found this one. Careful though--this is not endorsed by Mandrake.

http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/...onMandrakeRpms

Old 04-07-2005, 03:35 AM   #13
mkoljack

Dude I'm up way too Late!

I am so sorry. Hey here is the same info for Mandrake 10.1. Igmore my prior post about your distro.

Link #1 Same as prior post

Link #2 for Mandrake 10.1 -- http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.1/RPMS/

Old 04-07-2005, 04:02 AM   #14
abattoir

Original Poster
Hey thanks, i'm working on it. sorry for depriving you of your sleep!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 05:30 AM   #15
abattoir

Original Poster
mkoljack, thanks a lot for your help, i upgraded but now i'm unable to login, after logging in, it comes back to login screen(irritating). I'm reinstalling 10.1 or might go for 10.2 rc1.

I knew thac had some problems, i forgot reading about it in this thread
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...5&pagenumber=5

thanks anyway.