LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
lwiq
LQ Newbie

Distribution: nothing yet

Rep: Reputation: 0
new in linux, try to find the distribution that suit to me

i think that you heard that all the time (but you`l hear it again). i am new in linux, and i want to find the best distribution that must not be to hard to learn.
also i want to make programming with, to use blender, and must be easy to use multimedia.
if sameone can help me!!
i also want some tutorial and if it is posibil some free cd with - maybe you know a site that can offer me that

Old 03-31-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
alienDog

Distribution: Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 48
Just about any modern distribution will fullfill your requirements. Do some research and the decide what you really want from your system. Linux people have a tendency of favoring their own distro choices, but they might not be the right choices for you, so I won't go into recommending anything specific. However I do recommend that you choose one of the "major" distributions to ensure that you get help if you need it.

Just remember that Linux is not Windows, don't expect it to behave alike. It'll be different, but nothing that you can't handle. Once you have it up and running, it'll work practically forever, so investing some time in studying and doing a careful installation is well worth while. A good place to start is: http://distrowatch.com/ (see especially major distributions on the top menu).

Welcome to the club and good luck

Last edited by alienDog; 03-31-2005 at 02:20 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:03 AM   #3
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Not just Distrowatch, but also our own Distro Review section.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
halo14

Distribution: Debian | CentOS | Arch

Rep: Reputation: 45
Not pushing it or anything... but Ubuntu will ship you free CDs. The default order will ship 10 installation CDs for x86 PCs, of course you have menu with which to change it, if needed. I did it because I set them out on the magazine table at my office for people to take. (Nicely printed CD's look better than a stack of home-burned discs)

Also, the x86 installation media they ship includes BOTH the LiveCD *and* the Installation CD. Therefor you can try the basic Ubuntu desktop without installing it first. Also, the LiveCD includes Windows versions of popular open-source programs (OpenOffice, Abiword, Audacity, etc..) It's worth checking out... they even ship it for free...

I've had quite a few clients tell me that thay really liked it.. Personally it's not my favorite.. but that's because it's too user-friendly for me... (if that makes sense?) Once you really learn linux, you have a tendancy to lean toward the distro's which allow you full control... I think you would be happy with Ubuntu though.. and they have good support...

But as XavierP and alienDog said... check out reviews of distros.. also, if one sounds interesting.. google for screenshots of the default desktop to see if you like it.. (Linux desktops are VERY configurable, but obviously, you have to know HOW to configure it first, therefore... you want something easily usable off the bat)

good Luck!

Last edited by halo14; 03-31-2005 at 08:31 AM.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
DAChristen29

Distribution: Mint (debian edition)

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by XavierP
Not just Distrowatch, but also our own Distro Review section.
seriously, if i see another "what distro thread?" im gonna puke.

[oh wait, here's another one now in my firefox tab...*BLEHHHHHHHHHHHH*]

Old 04-02-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
BluT
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian "Sarge"

Rep: Reputation: 0
I have been a Linux user for around 4 years now and have tried nearly all distros to date. I have to say that I like Xandros the best so far. Only Distro I have installed that has setup everything in my system. That means alot !! Great interface and with crossover runs nearly all I have to throw at it. My personal choice of course. You really need to try everything out there to find the one you like the best , and that works best on your system. Some work great....some do not. Trial and error..

Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
mrcheeks

Distribution: OS X 10.6.7

Rep: Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally posted by DAChristen29
seriously, if i see another "what distro thread?" im gonna puke.

[oh wait, here's another one now in my firefox tab...*BLEHHHHHHHHHHHH*]
i guess some things are never gonna change.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #8
halo14

really guys.. relax.. I understand that there is a sticky that tells you all about 'choosing a distro' for yourself... but honestly... we are *THE* newbie Linux forum.. If you don't want to help with any suggestions.. don't make them...

Old 04-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
t3gah

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, ubuntu, Debian

I like Helix 1.5 because it's a Live CD that doesn't touch your system hardware and will run in a boot way or from Microsoft Windows and then later when you decide you want to install Linux you can do so from the same Live CD. Sweet.

Homepage link is in my signature. It also has many tools like rkhunter and chkrootkit.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
DAChristen29

Distribution: Mint (debian edition)

Quote:
Originally posted by halo14
really guys.. relax.. I understand that there is a sticky that tells you all about 'choosing a distro' for yourself... but honestly... we are *THE* newbie Linux forum.. If you don't want to help with any suggestions.. don't make them...
i find (along with EVERYONE else i talk to in linux IRC rooms) that when you do research, and read about linux and the different distros, and test them all out on your own, you learn a lot more, and oyu have fun with it better. much better than "i ask you, you tell me: we're done" i use linux forums and chat rooms as a last resort. i never post here unless ive done research because it makes my life easier, and usually gets the problem solved faster.

for example, this post. by the time someone gets their first reply to their "what distro" thread, they couldve probably already tried 3 different popular distros.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
masonm

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 90
I'd suggest you just start picking distros, download, burn and try them out. Sooner or later you'll find one you really like. I've probably tried just about every distro out there including some that no longer exist as maintained distros.

I'm sold on Slack but not without having personally tried many many distros for myself. That's what you should do. Try as many as you can.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #12
halo14

I love absolutely everything about slackware except for it's updating methods.. or lack-there-of.. 3rd party updaters are a joke, and frequently break the system.. If slack has a nice updating tool similar to freebsd or 'pacman' on arch..it would also be my favorite. I just don't have the time to manually do all of my updates..

Old 04-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #13
RonRussell

Distribution: SimplyMepis2004

Rep: Reputation: 15
I've not tried Ubuntu yet, although I hope to soon (just out of curiosity). I am currently using SimplyMepis 2004, and am very, very satisfied. It comes on a live CD, so you can try it out without actually installing it. If you like it, just click "Install" and it will proceed, asking you a few simple questions. Total install time was about 20 minutes, and it runs very well. Cost of the CD is only $10, mailed to you from Mepis headquarters.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
masonm

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
I love absolutely everything about slackware except for it's updating methods.. or lack-there-of..
Slackpkg is now included in extras. It really makes the upgrade process easier (and faster) in Slack.

Personally, IMHO, the lack of a lot of automated tools is the biggest advantage of Slack when it comes to stability. I'd rather spend a little time manually checking new config files than spend hours trying to figure out what some "tool" broke for me.

I spend very little time working on updates. I check the changelog once a week, if I see something there that needs to be updated on my system I fire up slackpkg and it's done. I can also just run "slackpkg upgrade patches/*" and it lists any new patches for me and asks if I want to install them. Piece of cake. If any new config files are offered, I look to see what (if anything) needs changed and decide what to do with them. Easy.