LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
w3dwebhost
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 0
eAthena ragnarok emulator

i installed eAthena on my fedora core 2 server. when i try to play on the server it connects to the login server which is on port 8080. but when i get to the character server which is on port 6121 it wont connect. my server has 5 live ips and is not behind a router so it is not a port forwarding on router thing, is there a solution to this? i flushed iptables and whatnot but it still did nothing

Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Nakarti
LQ Newbie

Well, why is the login server on port 8080?
If you're looking for security through obscurity, 8080, and eAthena itself, aren't obscure.
If 6900(the default) is blocked, then it is likely 6121 and 5121(map) are blocked as well.

Multiple IPs doesn't mean no firewall(shouldn't, anyway) so it may still be a port forwarding(or more likely, port opening) issue, unless the proposed eAthena server is DMZed.

Finally, the char_athena.conf file has to be set to make the char server aware of the login server. By default it's told to look for port 6900.
Same goes for the map server.

Don't be an eAthena , if you can figure out Linux(not saying its necessarily hard) you can figure out the conversion from the Windows install directions to the Linux install directions except for this: Being a direct-web server, set it up with the proper IPs according to the LAN versions(swap out the external IP for the internal) of the guides, unless you want to connect from the LAN as well(eAthena is kinda picky about that kinda thing....)

Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
w3dwebhost
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora

Original Poster
i emailed the data center and there is no ports blocked and i ran iptables -F, so dont call me a newbie considering i got it to work on ports that i need to use other programs for.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Nakarti
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakarti
Well, why is the login server on port 8080?
If you're looking for security through obscurity, 8080, and eAthena itself, aren't obscure.
If 6900(the default) is blocked, then it is likely 6121 and 5121(map) are blocked as well.

Multiple IPs doesn't mean no firewall(shouldn't, anyway) so it may still be a port forwarding(or more likely, port opening) issue, unless the proposed eAthena server is DMZed.
Wow, was I really such a jack.. back then?
I still fail to follow why port 8080, usually an alt. http port. If you say you're using 8080 for another service... two applications can't share the same port on the same interface, so is it maybe listening to loopback?

Ironically I had a similar problem with my home server running on Debian with a different ISP than last time I posted here. I think it was either the router firmware or something with the ISP, but the requests(by login server) were apparently getting mistranslated on the way back. Never did figure it out, but hopefully now(old ISP, newer firmware, Ubuntu.)

Last edited by Nakarti; 05-11-2007 at 11:47 PM.