LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2005, 02:52 AM   #1
beaucoup

Distribution: Gentoo i386

Rep: Reputation: 30
Prune Portage tree

In the months I've been using Gentoo, I've had very little trouble with package management via the Portage system. My portage tree is starting to consume a large portion of disk space, though; I've even had to give /usr/portage its own filesystem, which is now nearly full. Can I safely empty the /usr/portage directory without affecting the functionality of my installed software or the integrity of the portage system?

Old 02-05-2005, 03:47 AM   #2
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124Reputation: 4124
I would suggest you spend some time on the gentoo forums
You may not be surprised to learn you are not the first to ask this question.
It is an *extremely* good community.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Adony

Distribution: Gentoo 2004.2 - working on LFS 6

Rep: Reputation: 15
You can safely remove the packages in the /usr/portage/distfiles/ directory.
That directorty holds all the sources you donwload and so if you delete any of them you have to download it again if you want reinstall/modify the package ...

To a better way to this check
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...er=asc&start=0

Its also safe to remove the files in /var/tmp/portage/ and in /var/tmp/portage-pkg/ as these dirs only holds temp archives of the compillation process ..

Note that all this info was learned from the gentoo forum and take a look at it as syg00 said is always helpfull ...

Old 02-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
beaucoup

Distribution: Gentoo i386

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it that the distfile directory is what's really taking up all the space anyway. /var/tmp/portage is also rather large, though I find it rather curious it seemingly hasn't flushed itself EVER, if it really is a "temp" directory.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll be sure to explore the Gentoo forums for more information.