LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
dominionlife

Rep: Reputation: 15
Can we trade CDs here?

Just wandering. I have a couple of cds im willing to trade. As I am on dialup.

I live in the United States of America.
Louisiana

Last edited by dominionlife; 01-06-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
masand
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu, Solaris,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 69
u want to buy/sell out some CDs???

as far as i know no commercial activity is allowed here at LQ!!!

regards

Old 01-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
0pal_t0ad

Distribution: Laptop:Gentoo-i686-2.6.9-r9 Desktop:Slackware10 2.4.26

Rep: Reputation: 30
what do u want?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
egag

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 53
this is a linux forum .
be gone.....

egag

Old 01-06-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
dominionlife

Original Poster
"be gone...."

I was just asking a question.

And no not buy or sell. That would be ridicoulous.
I mean a fair trade. But now that I think about it. It's not to good of idea.
I was going to trade like Slax Ubuntu Live and install and DSL for like Mandrake or Fedora COre
As I have no other way of getting them.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
egag

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 53
that's another thing. ( your first post suggests trading .... )\
i think in that case put your location ( country or regio here )

maybe someone in the regio can exchange them for blank cd-r disks by mail ?

egag

Old 01-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
james.farrow

Distribution: Fedora Freebsd Centos

Rep: Reputation: 31
You could give http://www.uselinux.co.uk/ a try?

Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 87
Per the LQ Rules, " Posts containing information about cracking, piracy, warez, fraud or any topic that could be damaging to either LinuxQuestions.org or any third party will be immediately removed."

Unfortunately, the term "trading CD's" is very, very broad and can have many definitions, but regardless, because it potentially could involve copyrighted material it therefore immediately sets off the "Warning - Piracy Alert!" alarm bells.

As a result, my response to the question "Can we trade CD's here?" would be a definite No, because there are just far too many gray areas, and LQ does not have the resources to be a "referee" about what kinds of CD's would be OK, what wouldn't, and so forth. I'll agree that at least in concept, a "distro exchange" program might have value, especially for LQ'ers on low speed connections, but unfortunately the practical considerations and costs of trying to set someething like that up would be overwhelming. -- J.W.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
dominionlife

Original Poster
I understand completely.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
I think, and this is entirely my opinion, that passing on distro cds is ok as long as neither of you minds bearing the post and packing issue and that it's accepted that this is done as a favour from one member to another and is entirely outside of LQ's control. In fact, the first distro I installed was because a member who lives nearby posted the discs to me.

As long as it's a private thing, no money is exchanging hands - we don't do that - and no one blames this site or posts about problems here, it should be ok.

Just my 2p.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
Mara

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 232Reputation: 232Reputation: 232
It's not a technical Linux question, rather question about LQ in general, so moved to WS&F.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 AM   #12
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
You have to also see it as being a classified, LQ is not the classified's, you should do your trading and or selling elsewhere.

Like JW said, this is very broad in terms but you have to also consider, Advertising comes in many factors.

If members see that we allow people to trade stuff between one another, its going to open up the doors for others to think its ok to advertise and sell anything.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #13
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
My example was along these lines:
member a wants to try Fedora, but is on 56k dial up and has no credit card or means of purchasing through Paypal/Amazon/reutable site or store
member b lives nearby, or doesn't mind sending internationally
member b agrees to send member a the disks as long as they pick up the costs at their end (for international post) or the cost is minimal for local post

As to direct trading - we aren't the classifieds (as Trickykid so rightly says), but if it's a swap "you get me fedora and I'll get you Mandrake" I can't see a huge problem. Just note: this would be an agreement between 2 members outside of the forums and would not be known as the LQ Disk Trade Agreement.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
vharishankar

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally posted by XavierP
My example was along these lines:
member a wants to try Fedora, but is on 56k dial up and has no credit card or means of purchasing through Paypal/Amazon/reutable site or store
member b lives nearby, or doesn't mind sending internationally
member b agrees to send member a the disks as long as they pick up the costs at their end (for international post) or the cost is minimal for local post

As to direct trading - we aren't the classifieds (as Trickykid so rightly says), but if it's a swap "you get me fedora and I'll get you Mandrake" I can't see a huge problem. Just note: this would be an agreement between 2 members outside of the forums and would not be known as the LQ Disk Trade Agreement.
As long as members do their communication through e-mail or PM I really don't see any issues. Only when such a thing comes into the open forums, I think we'll run into problems.

Theoritically, it's not a bad idea at all. Just I think must be kept private between the members involved.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #15
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
I think both XavierP and Harishankar have points. I don't see a problem with members getting disks to other members or trading disks, but I don't think it's something that should clog up the forums. Is this something people are interested in enough for us to look into adding some kind of classified as a future feature?

--jeremy