LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
john39
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Uninstall Linux Mandrake 10

I run both Windows Xp and Linux Mandrake 10 on one hard drive.
My Linux Os have become corrupted and wont load.I have installed a second hard drive. What I want to do is uninstall Linux on the first hard drive and realocate the partitian used back to Windows without disturbing any of my existing windows and files. Then I can reinstall Linux on my second hard drive. How do I do this?

Old 12-09-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
RockmanExe

Distribution: Mandriva, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
boot into Win XP, right click 'My computer' and click on 'Manage'
now, go to 'Disk Management' and you'll see all your linux partitions labeled as unallocated or unknown, right click on them to delete and format.
Even though you've formated the linux partitions, LILO will still be there; to get rid of it, you could:

a) boot from your mandrake installation cd 1. When prompted for a boot option type 'rescue' and there, search for an option called 'restore windows bootloader'

b) boot from you win xp installation cd, press 'R' when prompted for an installation option to be able to enter to the recovery console. Once you get to the DOS prompt (C:\) type 'FIXMBR'

Regards

Last edited by RockmanExe; 12-09-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
RayQ

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 15
I don't have the windows XP installation CDs, the system came with the machine when bought, anything I cn do?

Old 07-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Bluenoser

Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Just leave the boot loader in place for now since you're going to reinstall linux and thus a bootloader again anyway. Use XP's disk management to get rid of the linux partitions and reformat them to ntfs or fat32, then reinstall your linux onto the other drive and you're all set.

*EDIT* I didn't realize the original post was so old. My post was directed at the original poster. As for RayQ, are you trying to do the same? Reinstalling linux? Or do you want to get rid of it and the bootloader completely?

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-13-2005 at 11:22 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
xxvm1

Distribution: WinXP Pro, Mandrake 10

I'm having this problem as well. I have a Windows XP Pro & Mandrake 10 dual boot system and i now find myself using Windows more and more to the point where Linux can go. I'm dual booting on a single 160Gb (154ish actual) hard drive, which is set up as follow:

C: Windows 20Gb
D: Programs 40Gb
*: Linux ext3 5.8Gb
*: Linux Swap 0.5Gb
*: Linux ext3 3.6Gb
E: Storage 80Gb

I've tried booting from the Windows XP CD and using the FIXMBR but then nothing boots. The computer fails to be able to find the Windows C partition to boot into apparently. So i reinstalled Mandrake 10 and it all went back to normal with the bootloader in place. I'm going to try the recommended information below:

a) boot from your mandrake installation cd 1. When prompted for a boot option type 'rescue' and there, search for an option called 'restore windows bootloader'

But from experience i wouldn't recommend anyone use the FIXMBR option. Although i have heard from many sources that this works, maybe i have a strange set-up, but i doubt it.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally posted by RayQ
I don't have the windows XP installation CDs, the system came with the machine when bought, anything I cn do? :(
Ray, I can't delete the post - I can split it out of this thread,
though. What would you like it to be called?

Cheers,
Tink

Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
xxvm1

This is really starting to annoy me now. Mandrake 10 is harder to get rid of than the most stubborn virus. To add to my post above, I gave the following advice a go:
Quote:
I still got the same unbootable computer. After POST presumably no bootloader or bootable partition could be found, but upon restoring the linux bootloader hey presto we're back to where we started from again. After removing the linux bootloader and restoring the windows one i got the following after POST.

Verifying DMI Pool Data
No Active
Any key to reboot

I really can't see any way to solve this other than a fresh install of Windows on C

Old 07-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
tkedwards

Distribution: Opensuse 11.2

Rep: Reputation: 52
Assuming you've already re-formatted the drives you've already got rid of Mandrakelinux. What you're having problems with is that Windows can't even restore its own boot loader. I've never, ever been able to get Windows to properly fix its boot loader in any kind of situation, but this is a Windows problem, not a Mandrake or Linux problem.

You can just boot the mandrake install CD in rescue mode (type 'linux rescue' at the boot splash screen I believe) and restore the linux boot loader without having to install Mandrake. Assuming it lets you boot Windows then you're right to go, so I wouldn't waste anymore time on this.

BTW if you want help configuring the Linux boot loader so it just boots Windows straight away or something like that then post back here.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
xxvm1

I haven't actually re-formatted the partitions yet. I assume removing the boot loader first will cause the computer to simply "lose" where linux is on the hard drive. Then i'd boot into Windows and use the manage hard drive function, or Partition Magic to play with the partitions. I gathered it would be a Windows problem, useless, inefficient but popular and easier to use. I already utilized the restore linux boot loader option to be able to post my reply earlier, so i'm back to sqaure one for now. Dual Boot Mandrake and XP Pro on one hard drive. I mean come on, surely i can restore the hard drive to it's original Windows only state somehow.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
tkedwards

Quote:
I assume removing the boot loader first will cause the computer to simply "lose" where linux is on the hard drive
Yes exactly.

Quote:
Then i'd boot into Windows and use the manage hard drive function, or Partition Magic to play with the partitions
Yes or you could even boot off the Mandrake install CD, go up to the repartitioning step and use Mandrake's nice GUI repartitioner to delete the Linux partitions and/or reformat them as Fat32 or NTFS for Windows. Then just reboot the machine without going any further with the install.

Quote:
I mean come on, surely i can restore the hard drive to it's original Windows only state somehow
Reinstall Windows?

Seriously though this is the point where it becomes a Windows problem - you might need to post to some Windows forums about 'restoring Windows bootloader to MBR'. Your computer should work fine though with using the Linux bootloader to boot Windows, even if you've already removed Linux.

BTW If you do find a working way to restore the Windows bootloader post back here, its something I've always wondered how to do

Old 07-13-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally posted by xxvm1
I mean come on, surely i can restore the hard drive to it's original Windows only state somehow.
Yes, you simply have to delete the linux partitions and reformat them to ntfs/fat32 using fdisk/cfdisk in linux, or use XP's disk management. If you really hate having the extra partitions, buy partition magic and you can merge them with your existing ntfs partition. Even if you can't get rid of lilo, reconfigure it so that it boots XP as default, and set the delay to 0, then you won't even notice it's there.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
tkedwards

Quote:
using fdisk/cfdisk in linux
There are easier (ie. GUI ways) on Linux such as the Mandrake partitioning thing or Qtparted. fdisk isn't a very user friendly program, nor does it provide safe resizing or merging of partitions AFAIK.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #13
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally posted by tkedwards
nor does it provide safe resizing or merging of partitions AFAIK.
Yep that's why I mentioned Partition Magic for merging. I'm not aware of any other method for doing that, although there probably is a way to do it.