LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories Just spent four hours configuring your favorite program? Just figured out a Linux problem that has been stumping you for months?
Post your Linux Success Stories here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
scuzzman

Distribution: Slackware, Kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Newfound slacker - never to turn back now

It all started - I was fed up with Mandrake, SuSE, Fedora, and all of the other RPM-based distros - I knew Linux could perform better. But, I was never prepared for what I'd see from Slackware - WOW! What a difference! Very impressed, and very much a learning experience. I was running kernel 2.4.26 - which was fine about a week ago, and with xfce. I longed for my long lost love, E. So, I downloaded and compiled it! My first *major* compilation. I was elated, and with very little configuration (a ~/.xinitrc), had it working. Then curiousity got better of me, so i downloaded the 2.6.9 source from kernel.org, and went to compile my first kernel. AGGGHHH - no disply @ CLI. OK, LQ helped me with that one, but no sound? OK, tried several more recompiles ( I say more because I had to recompile to fix the display thing ) and still no alsa. So - I downloaded the ALSA source and, after much reading, found out I needed 3 files (alsa-lib, alsa-driver, and alsa-utils), so i downloaded and compiled! Sound problem cured!
All in all, I love slackware. It is more of a learning curve, but I now see it easier than Mandrake. Why? Everything installs so easily. There are no deps with compiled programs etc.
There are just 2 more problems I'm having:
1) I can't display man pages, I get this:
Code:
scuzzy@slackdell:~$ man bash
Error executing formatting or display command.
System command (cd /usr/man && (echo ".pl 1100i"; /bin/gunzip -c '/usr/man/man1/bash.1.gz'; echo ".\\\""; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") | /usr/bin/gtbl 
| /usr/bin/nroff -S -mandoc | /usr/bin/less -is) exited with status 256.
No manual entry for bash
scuzzy@slackdell:~$
After it starts to display it (?). But - thats OK: xman works fine, and info works fine.

2) Who is the guy with the pipe and what importance does he hold with Slack?

One more thing, I'd like to thank LQ and ALL its members. I couldn't have done this without you all, and will never turn back. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
cxobert
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 0
the guy with the pipe

The guy with the pipe is J.R. 'Bob' Dobbs, Church of the Subgenius.

http://www.subgenius.com/

That is where the concept of Slack came from.

Welcome to Slackware - I'm another ex-Mandrake convert.

cheers,

Charlie Obert

Old 11-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
cxobert
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
re the man issue

A couple of things to look at re man not finding files.

Make sure the $MANPATH variable is set.

Check 'man man' for info on where it goes looking.

Cheers,

co2

Old 11-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #4
tangle

Rep: Reputation: 78
I think that is the exact error message I had. If I remeber right, I forgot to install groff. After I installed groff the man pages came up just fine.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
gavinbeatty

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I know it's a bit odd but i's kernel 2.6.9 that breaking man.

You have to "chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.udev" to regain use of man and less.

I know there isn't even a file called rc.udev but trust me on the results for me at least.