LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
mkaman

Distribution: fc2, fc3

Rep: Reputation: 16
Customizing fc2 system performance for doom3

I have installed doom3 in my fedora core 2 and i have seen that the performance is horrible with all the graphic options at minimun.

Maybe it's my graphic's card fault. Its a gforce 2 mx with 64 MB of video ram. But i checked it under win xp and it runs better, with some slowdowns, but you can play it and you can have some effects turned on.

Under fc2 i also get a loud and continuous hard drive noise. After closing the game it still keeps for almost 10 minutes and it starts again when i launch some command. This keeps my system near freezing until it stops.

I installed doom3 for linux into a ext3 filesystem but i took all the necesary files from the cd's into one fat32 partition. Have this something to do with the problem?

So, that's why i want to optimize my system, i think there is something that slows down it.

Every feedback will be greatly apreciated.

My system:
ASUS a7n8x-x
512MB SDRAM 400
athlon-xp 2600+
gforce 2 mx 400
FC2 2.6.5-1.358
400 MB swap
HD samsung 20 GB

Old 10-13-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
mkaman

Distribution: fc2, fc3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
I have taken a first step, i heard about some patches that will increase performance in a desktop linux, so i searched for them and i found the con kolivas patchset for the 2.6 kernel.
These are a set of interactivity patches that improve system reaction time.

I also found something called cko (con kolivas overloaded) that also included some extra patches that looked insteresting.
Finally i have tested it over vanilla 2.6.8.1 (waiting for 2.6.9 to be finally released) and the results are impresive.
Idon't tested it over my current kernel because that patches are made over vanilla series (note: fc2 default kernel is optimized for pentium2, i got an athlonxp, this may be changed in the kernel configuration before recompiling).

Before this i couldn't play at all (very very slow) and after this I CAN PLAY with some slowdown (increasing with more that one or two demons trying to eat you) but i can say that I CAN PLAY

You can check the ck patchset here.
And you cand check the cko patchset here

There is a page that provides a lot useful linux gaming information here including a little howto about optimizing fedora kernel for gaming

Anyone's feedback and gaming experience still very apreciated!!

Last edited by mkaman; 10-17-2004 at 06:52 PM.