LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
AGilley007

Distribution: Various

Rep: Reputation: 30
Gnome Menu

Is their a command that will update all the applications or if not how do I add a progam to the Gnome menu?

Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Bluenoser

Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 15
If you have a "Start Here" icon on your desktop, click it and then click on Applications, select any menu you want, right click and add launcher. I'm not sure if there is an automated method that searches out all programs. I doubt there is

Old 09-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
AGilley007

Original Poster
What is I don't have a start here on desktop?

Old 09-27-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
sh1ft

Distribution: Slackware, ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 32
I think this is a real problem in Gnome, and to a lesser extent KDE. How hard can it really be to provide the same functionality as found in Windows? You should be able to drag and drop items to and from the start menu, and rearrange them as you wish. I don't think this could really be that hard from a technical perspective...?

Old 09-27-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
shilo

Distribution: Slackware 11 - kernel 2.6.19.1 - Dropline Gnome 2.16.2

Rep: Reputation: 50
Here's what I do. Open up the menu. Keep going until you get to the section of menu that you'd like to add a new item to. Right click on that section of menu. You should see an option that says, "Entire menu". It's a drop-down list. One of the choices is "Add new item to this menu". Click on that.

So something should have popped up. You should be under the "Basic" tab. Under "Name:" type a good name for you to remember the item by (this is what you'll see in the menu). Under "Comment:" add something to give you a little more detail about waht you are adding ( this is the pop-up that you will see if you hover over the item). Under "Command:" add the command that starts the program. Click on the words "No Icon" and you will be able to browse to the icon that you would like to have appear in the menu (I usually figure out what the correct icon is ahead of time). Click "OK" and you are all done. It should be in your menu. Try it out. If you have problems, just right-click on it in the menu and you should be able to edit it. Most of the time, the problem is a bad command. Try using full pathnames if you need to.

I like Gnome's system of doing things. KDE automatically shows me all of the KDE programs, along with the Gnome programs. Makes for a mighty big menu. Besides that, most of the programs listed are duplicitous. For most of the Gnome programs listed under the KDE menu, there is a corresponding KDE program. If I am using KDE, I really don't care to see all of the Gnome programs that do exactly the same thing as their KDE counterparts.

Total side note, Gnome 2.8 rocks. I believe that Gnome 3.0 is supposed to be out around Mar. 2005. Couple that with a new 2.6 kernel that does CD burning without SCSI emulation, it's gonna be one kick-@$$ system. The only thing I am really wondering about is the whole browser issue. I don't think Gnome is switching to the Firefox/Thunderbird combo. With Pat V. dropping Epiphany and Galeon, will any Slack users that want to have a complete Gnome system be able to have a really complete Gnome desktop without third-party apps?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:43 AM   #6
AGilley007

Original Poster
Thanks so much that worked. How hard is it to install GNOME 2.8?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:56 AM   #7
AGilley007

Original Poster
Also how hard is it to install the 2.6 kernel?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #8
shilo

Distribution: Slackware 11 - kernel 2.6.19.1 - Dropline Gnome 2.16.2

Rep: Reputation: 50
Quote:
How hard is it to install GNOME 2.8?
I used the latest RC of Dropline, so it was very easy. It will probably be easier next week, when I'm guessing they will release Dropline 2.8. It also upgrades to the newest xorg. If you want another method, it can be fairly difficult. Unless you are really fond of compiling from source.

Quote:
Also how hard is it to install the 2.6 kernel?
I don't think it is very hard at all. There are a couple of ways of going about it. I prefer to compile my own from source. It's pretty easy, once you get used to it. It's usually the getting used to it that takes awhile, though. I learned to compile a kernel for the first time by just recompiling the stock kernel that came on my first Slackware setup (8.1, I think). It's way easier to learn when you are jumping up to a new kernel version, I think. Less chances to mess up your working kernel. There are lot's of good posts here on how to compile a kernel.

Good luck,

Old 09-28-2004, 07:05 PM   #9
AGilley007

Original Poster
Thanks