LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
omair_ca
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
tv wonder pro drivers

hi,
i am somewhat new to linux. I was having problems with sound on redhat 9 and fc1 and fc2 so i installed mandrake 10.0. I am not sure if i have tv wonder pro drivers installed or not. During installation it did seem to have found a tuner card but showed has happuage|win tv, which I assumed is ok as they may use the same driver. Now I am not sure if the driver is already installed or not and what I should do next. I have been trying to read forums about this but since I am new to linux so many times cannot make much with the information.

For now I can give you the following information that may help.

in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88 I have the following files

cx8800.ko.gz and cx88xx.ko.gz.

In /etc/modprobe.conf I found the following line after installation of mandrake,

options cx8800 radio=0 card= gbuffers=4

I am not sure if the driver is already installed or I need to install it still. Also card= does not have any value. Is it missing? If you know what could be wrong, can you please help? I have an ATI tv wonder pro card.

I am not on the mailing list yet so can you please reply to my email address.
regards,

~Omair

Old 08-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
Novacat
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 2

I'd suggest getting the latest version of the CX8800 driver, not sure if that specific card is supported yet. Look for a patch that gives GPIO values.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 244Reputation: 244Reputation: 244
It is consider rude and against forums rules to post the same topic more than once you should pick the forum that best suits your problem and post there ONCE.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
omair_ca
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
sorry didn't know the rules and could not decide which forum was best for the thread.

Anyways, I will try to post here for the thread from now on.

I would repost my original post with some updates since I tried a few more things.

I saw the following how-to for wintv page and that helped quite a bit since I am trying to install ATI tv wonder pro.

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~jcs116/wintv_cx88.html

I am somewhat new to linux. I was having problems with sound on redhat 9 and fc1 and fc2 so i installed mandrake 10.0.

Now, I am not sure if i have tv wonder pro drivers installed or not. During installation it did seem to have found a tuner card but showed as happuage|win tv instead of ATI tv wonder pro, which I assumed is ok as they may use the same driver/chipset. Now I am not sure if the driver is already installed or not and what I should do next. I have been trying to read forums about this but since I am new to linux so many times cannot make much with the information.

For now I can give you the following information that may help.

in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88 I have the following files

cx8800.ko.gz and cx88xx.ko.gz.

In /etc/modprobe.conf I found the following line after installation of mandrake,

options cx8800 radio=0 card= gbuffers=4

I am not sure if the driver is already installed or I need to install it still. Also card= does not have any value. Is it missing? If you know what could be wrong, can you please help? I have an ATI tv wonder pro card.

I assumed that the driver is not yet installed since in the how-to, kernel used is 2.6.5 and i only have 2.6.3-7. So I download the cx-0.0.4.tar.gz, untarred it and followed instructions from the how-to, modprobe seemed to work fine on i2c_algo_bit, v4l2_common, v4l1_compat, tuner, video_buf, btcx_risc. Then I tried to do insmod ./cx88xx.ko ; insmod ./cx8800.ko. Now the first insmod instruction does not say anything but when I try cx8800.ko, it says

insmod: error inserting './cx8800.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

so I tried to see the dmesg, and here is what I got at the end
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
cx88xx: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
cx8800: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
cx8800: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc
cx8800: Unknown symbol video_register_device
cx8800: Unknown symbol video_usercopy
cx8800: Unknown symbol video_device_release

So now I am not sure if insmod worked fine on cx88xx.ko either? If you have any suggestions, can you please email me. I have been trying to get help elsewhere but not many people seem to respond.

Many thanks.
~Omair