LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
da_tibmeister

Distribution: SLES 9.3

Rep: Reputation: 15
Apache and ADSL

My server is Slackware 10, sitting on a Verizon DSL. Got the adsl-start stuff working, but Apache doesn't want to listen to the ppp interface for incoming requests. Everything works fine from the local term, but nothing else, and Webmin, SSH, FTP, Sendmail all work fine, just not apache. It's version 2 of Apache.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
da_tibmeister

Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 AM   #2
london_geezer

Distribution: Debian Sarge & Mac OS X 10.3.8

Apache not listening.

Sorry to sound dumb, but have you opened ports 80 & 443 for standard and secure http connections on your firewall?

Also verify that the httpd service is up and running.

I assumed Apache would listen to whatever your default net connection was.

LG

Old 07-15-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
da_tibmeister

Original Poster
Doesn't sound stupid at all, it was the first thing I looked for, but then I realized I don't have ipchains compiled in my kernel, so no firewall. And httpd is up and running, I can use lynx and pull up the page locally, but not remotly. I remember a problem with Apache 1.3 and dynamic connections, but that was fixed. I'm wondering, since the ppp connection is virtual (pppoe) if Apache can even detect it.....

Thanks,
da_tibmeister

Old 07-15-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
TheIrish

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora

I guess we're actually missing the problem.
I have the same setup and works great. Apache doesn't LISTEN to an interface, all interfaces are good for receiving and transmitting data and a virtual interface is just the same as a real interface to the application layer that doesn't even know about interfaces existence.
Mmm... still I can't realize where the problem could be... assuming you can access the internet with no problem and you don't have a firewall, the problem could be apache configuration itself...

Old 07-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #5
mooman_fl
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
You might want to check with Verizon. Some ISPs block incoming request to port 80 and 443 because they do not want their customers running servers. This might be your case and would fit the symptoms.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
da_tibmeister

Original Poster
That just boggles me cause I can pull it up via lynx on the localhost, but no resolution externally. Hmmmmmmmm, It could be the config, but It's fairley straight forward....... Hmmmmmm

Old 07-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
da_tibmeister

Original Poster
Well darn, found the proble, Verizon DSL blocks port 80 incoming, so I'm screwed on that
Thanks for the help

Old 07-15-2004, 04:06 PM   #8
linuxmankev
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian,Red Hat,Fedora

If your ISP blocks port 80 open it up on port 81 or something like that... yes, http defaults to port 80, but just make your site:

http://your.ip.address:81/

Use the Listen directive:

Listen 80

And slight correction to a post above... Apache /does/ listen to interfaces... it just so happens to bind to all interfaces by default.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Galik

Distribution: gentoo

Well you may be able to work round that. If your ISP provides you with some webspace as part of your account then you can point your domain name at your webspace at your ISP and insert a 'pass through' page using frames. Something like:

Code:
<html>
  <head>
    <title>My Homepage</title>
  </head>
  <frameset rows="100%,*" border="0" frameborder="0" framespacing="0" framecolor="#000000">
    <frame src="http://my-local-machines-external-ip-address:8000/" name="local-appache-server">
  </frameset>
  <noframes>
    Your browser doesn't appear to support frames - please click
    <a href="my-local-machines-external-ip-address:8000/">here</A> to view the site.
  <CENTER></CENTER><EM><EM></EM></EM><B></B></noframes>

</html>
Basically you run apache so that it listens on port 8000 rather than the default port 80. You create one webpage at your ISP webspace that loads your local webpage into a single frame.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:52 PM   #10
da_tibmeister

Original Poster
This is for a b iz website, so I don't feel comfy with any of the workarounds, so I'm just going to lease a co-located server, which is better in the longrun anyway, and not all that more expensive then a biz class DSL ($149.00/month)

Thanks again,
da_tibmeister

Old 07-16-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
falcon79
LQ Newbie

Maybe it is the virtual host configuration
Try with a default virtual host