LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
The_Nerd

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 32
I Am So Ticked!!!

I am so ticked!!!

The company I worked for took my name out of the program I wrote for them!

Last edited by The_Nerd; 06-18-2004 at 12:48 PM.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
witeshark

Distribution: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 30
I can understand how you feel, but please consider that reading your post here doesn't establish evidence or proof that forum members should e-mail anyone on your behalf

Old 06-18-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Donboy

Distribution: RH, Fedora, Suse, AIX

Rep: Reputation: 31
I think in most cases when you join a company (well, it's true for me, anyway) the company will make you sign an agreement saying that anything you design or create while on the job immediately becomes their property. You got paid for doing the work while you were there, so you got your compensation for doing the work. It's like being a construction worker and building something... just because you worked on it doesn't mean it belongs to you or that you should have your name on it. The final product belongs to somebody else.... usualy the people who paid for it.

But at the same time, I realize you're pissed, and rightfully so... the courteous thing for them to do is leave your name on it... it's kind of like putting your name at the end of a movie in the credits... it is proof that you participated in something and it will help you get a good job later on because you can show that your name is actually on the software and you're not just blowing smoke and taking credit for other people's work.

I think your best course is to throw eggs at their house... it'll certainly make you feel better!

Old 06-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
The_Nerd

Distribution: Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 32
I relise I don't own the code or the software, I am just ticked because they took my name off. Anyhow, I am having second thoughts about this post, maybe it wasn't such a good thing for me todo.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
JonChristmas

Distribution: REDHAT 9.0 FREEBSD 4.10, WinBlowsXP for its prettyness ;)

Rep: Reputation: 15
Well for some of this crowd it is a bad idea. Instead or ignoring the posts that they dont care to read or have good feelings about they well show hatred and try to make you feel stupid for posting. So maybe your post has nothing to do with well anything or importance maybe typing out and posting for the world to see is your rebellion against the company.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Best thing to do is to report it and ask for it to be closed.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
keefaz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
People is too selfish, this sort of experience may be an interest for other and help to be carefull when work in a compagny.

And a bad thing happen to someone, the bad thing can happen to all of us.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
XavierP

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Normally, these things are in your terms and conditions or employment contract or your boss should explain it to you. It's that way in the company I work for - I believe it's standard practice. Whatever you write for the company (and this goes for patents also) belong to the company.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
keefaz
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
Well you run a sort of dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide for your part
On the Day you works with Big Boss laws (and you defended them in some sort) and the Night you here, at Linux Questions, open source community, GPLed philosophy trade work with other but respect author by putting name in source code.

It is not for you personnally but GNU was founded because of these practices.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:38 PM   #10
XavierP

I agree - it is a little schizoid. However, those terms were in the paperwork I signed up to, I went in with my eyes open. I do my bit by promoting FOSS at my place of work - even something as low level as pointing people at Mozilla when they look at webpages on my pc.

If you sign something and it is then enforced, why complain?

Old 06-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #11
keefaz
LQ Guru

Yes I know, but young people who reads threads need experience to figure out of how things work.

If you are enough experienced it is a good thing but ever in situation in which we can do nothing, our mind have to keep clean and we must pay attention to syntax. Like don't say "I believe it's standard practice", say "It is standart practice with these companies, you have to be carefull"

Old 06-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #12
XavierP

But as with anything in life - signing the form without reading it is bad. Also, you cannot go back and say "oh, I didn't read it, please don't do what I have signed up to say you can do". If you sign up to it, you've agreed to it and so you are stuffed.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:26 AM   #13
crazyeddie740

Distribution: Debian, Mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 15
(Psst, witeshark, i think the man is looking for a little sympathy here, not a friggin mail-in campaign. Or a slap in the face with a friggin fish for that matter.)

Geez, that sucks. Even if it was in the contract, it's still a dirty thing for them to do. Bad for morale, hence bad for the bottom line, if nothing else. Why don't you take it up with the boss? Did they give any reason for taking it off? What, the extra 16 bytes or whatever took up too much disk space? Posting here is a good way to get it off your chest, but won't get you much but sympathy (and apparently, sometimes less than that). If it's important to you, why not fight for it?

The worst they can do is fire you. But they sound like a shitty place to work for anyway. (Of course, it won't be *me* that's the one standing in the bread-line.)

Old 06-19-2004, 04:59 AM   #14
lone_nut

Distribution: Mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 30
Heck all the stuff devolped by FSF says copyrighted 2004 Free software foundation, so if you want you name on it, you seem to have to go solo.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:25 PM   #15
BajaNick

Distribution: Slack 11

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by keefaz
People is too selfish, this sort of experience may be an interest for other and help to be carefull when work in a compagny.

And a bad thing happen to someone, the bad thing can happen to all of us.
Thats a mouthful, LOL