LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2002, 08:49 AM   #1
gui10

Distribution: enigma, slack8

Rep: Reputation: 30
astounding

this forum has now more than 11,000 members...

this must be the largest 'LUG' in the world... (of course, using the acronym 'LUG' very loosely here)

Old 04-17-2002, 09:27 AM   #2
fatgod

Distribution: Suse 7.2, Gentoo 1.4, Solaris 9

Anyone know how many active members there are? say, exclude people who havent posted in 3 months?

Old 04-17-2002, 11:40 AM   #3
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
Dunno, but there's gotta be close to 4000 definitely non-active users - those that have never posted.

Just outta curiosity, how much space does the information about 1 non-active user take up? Is it possible (for you, Jeremy) to tell if a user has ever logged in? Would it be worth 'recycling' any space that these non-posting, non-logging-in users are taking up?

Old 04-17-2002, 12:18 PM   #4
Stephanie
LQ Addict

Distribution: 9.2 Mandy 1.4 Gentoo 5.1 FreeBSD WinXP

Rep: Reputation: 45
Well, if we were going to go by regular posters, then I would say there are about 20, including myself.

Most people probably only come here to post one or two questions, and once they fix their problem they disappear.

Kinda sad though... we are all such lovable, cuddly creatures here at the Caves of Questions

Old 04-17-2002, 12:54 PM   #5
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
An inactive user takes almost no space at all. Just a little db entry. I considered pruning inactive users, but I decided against it. A surprising number of members visit quite often but never post. I also like the fact that if you signed up 6 months ago and got tied up doing other non-linux things, you can come back to the site and your account is ready and waiting for you.

--jeremy

Old 04-17-2002, 12:57 PM   #6
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
I also added a "last online" field to the user profile page if anyone is interested.

--jeremy

Old 04-17-2002, 01:31 PM   #7
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
An inactive user takes almost no space at all. Just a little db entry. I considered pruning inactive users, but I decided against it. A surprising number of members visit quite often but never post. I also like the fact that if you signed up 6 months ago and got tied up doing other non-linux things, you can come back to the site and your account is ready and waiting for you.

--jeremy
Suprisingly to add, I believe some sign up to browse the forums and recieve the news letter jeremy sends out on occasion. If you look at the contributing members thread here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=16991 you'll see a few spoke up about the issue and what they thought, being their first post on the forums but yet signing up 4 and 6 months ago....

Old 04-17-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhacker
Well, if we were going to go by regular posters, then I would say there are about 20, including myself.
Yeah, but you're confusing regular poster with complete and total crack monkey. We're the crack monkeys. There's this hot and cold sub-culture of posters in the 1+200's that are around too, they probably just have jobs/majors that keep them from having the reliability of say... Tricky.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 04-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #9
gui10

Distribution: enigma, slack8

Original Poster
ah... that'd be me
thanks finegan...
though i wouldn't mind being a total crack monkey... wouldn't mind at all

Old 04-18-2002, 07:02 AM   #10
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhacker

Most people probably only come here to post one or two questions, and once they fix their problem they disappear.

Kinda sad though... we are all such lovable, cuddly creatures here at the Caves of Questions

Originally posted by Jeremy

I also added a "last online" field to the user profile page if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by finegan
Yeah, but you're confusing regular poster with complete and total crack monkey.
I didn't mean to suggest that a hardcore pruning was a good idea, perhaps just those that haven't posted and haven't visited ever (except to become a member). But since it only takes up a eency-weency little space on the db, then let's keep up - it makes up the numbers (currently around 11,150ish, give or take )

Crack Monkey, eh? I think you could be onto a new moniker idea there, eh fin?

1-29 = Newb
30-999 = Member
1000-1999 = Guru/Addict
2000+ = Crack Monkey.

Let's see, the majority of the Top 10 are Moderators, so I believe that we three (your good self, fin, my good self and taz) are currently the only ones in line for Crack Monkeyness.

PS, sorry for the inane ramblings. Had 0 sleep again last night. Bloody courseworks...

Old 04-20-2002, 06:56 PM   #11
cli_man

Distribution: Redhat 7.2, 9.0 Slackware 9.1

I think I would be one of the ones that just mostly browses the forums, I was not into the linux thing much until I came across this place, I like to stop by a average of 5 to 10 times a day just to read the posts, there are some pretty great people here, I just wish that it would show how many posts you have read along with how many you have actually posted I think you might be surprised just how many people are like me and are here quite a bit just don't post that much.