LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
Infinite_Pizza

Rep: Reputation: 15
linux*.src.rpm

Hi everybody

lately I had download a kernel 2.6 .mdk.src.rpm from mandrake ... I am currently using 2.4 kernel and planning to upgrad my kernel.....

So far I had done
rpm --rebuild kernel2.6*mdk.src.rpm

it too 2 days to finish the compile process .... at the i686 folder I have soem compiled rpms in there ... (I am compiling inside my home directory -- /home/user/...)

I am just wondering what happen after this ?? Do I need rpm -ivh all the result compiled rpms then run linuxconf to make the image ??

kenny

Old 05-17-2004, 05:02 AM   #2
maqish
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

kernel rebuild

I'm not sure, but doesn't mandrake provide u with a prebuild kernel just like redhat used to do, or do they want you to compile a new kernel.

since you downloaded the src package i presume that you would like the build a kernel for yourself.

if you were to build a normal kernel i could help you, in this case i would advice you to seek help from the linux mandrake community.

greetings Marc

Old 05-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #3
larsr
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Re: linux*.src.rpm

Yes,

rpmbuild only builds rpm files for your architecture.
It does not install the software.

You have to install the rpms if you want
the packages.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 AM   #4
Infinite_Pizza

Original Poster
YEs , maqish . I am trying to build a new kernel for myself ,

When I upgrade from mandrake 9.1 to 10 The sound card stop to work ... I had try various way, eg. change the sound level to 77 in aux something and alsaconf or some thing like that, but it all hit me when I boot off my linux from my old kernel , that;s when I know that the new kernel module is not working , so now I am trying to compile the rpm so that I can try it out again

I know that software install can just use rpm -ivh *.rpm , but I am not sure that this is how kernel is installed , or is it ?? <--- i have no idea since when I try to look for all the softwares that I had installed into my computer I did not came across a file start with "kernel"

Has anyone try to install a kernel using a "RPM" ?? if so after I do rpm -ivh kernel-*.rpm , what cames next ?? an't I suppose to do make dep ; make menuconfig ; to create a image file so that I can boot off from that new kernel image ?

Old 05-18-2004, 02:35 AM   #5
maqish
LQ Newbie

Well, i think installing the .src.rpm files will only install the sources of the kernel.

after this it is quite simple. Specially since the 2.6 kernel because that one does a lot more for you than the old one. there is no need to do a make dep i've been told and it will automatically do a make bzImage.. so where does this leave you..

you should find your information here

http://networking.earthweb.com/netos...0951_3330681_1

Have fun building your kernel..

Maqish

Old 05-19-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
Infinite_Pizza

Original Poster
Kernel

I had found a site for mandrake ... it said that when I had done rpm -ivh then the kernel is install complete with the "image" !!?? whould you believe that =)

but now is to figure out when one is which and what do they do ... any idea ?

Below is what rpm --rebuild kernel2.6*src.rpm

kernel-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-BOOT-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-doc-2.6.3-8mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-enterprise-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-p3-smp-64GB-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-secure-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-smp-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-source-2.6.3-8mdk.i686.rpm
kernel-source-stripped-2.6.3-8mdk.i686.rpm

Old 05-19-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
The .src.rpm is a source file for the actual rpm. Basically, by using that file, you have created installable rpm files for your particular box. You now need to install the rpm file for your architecture - p3, secure, i686 or whatever. Never having done it this way, I can't tell you which one(s) you need to install (although I'd definitely recommend installing the kernel-source-2.6.3-8mdk.i686.rpm file - kernel sources save a lot of grief at a later stage).

Check the docs on the Mandrake website to find out what you need to install.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #8
Infinite_Pizza

Original Poster
had tried so far

Here is what I had found out...

Mandrake develop some arch specific kernel for their specific use

smp <--- dual or multi processor
up-4GB <--- is for ram up to 4 GB
So far I had try install this rpm and boot up from its image

kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm

but no luck the sound wan't even there ..... (ps. At least ,the newest kernel came with Mandrake 10 had sound in "mono" <--- like telephone quality the best kernel that I have for my sound card can produce a stero sound quality is 2.4.6.19 I think .. have to go back home and check)

I wiull be testing
kernel-secure-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm

then
kernel-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i686.rpm

then finally

kernel-source-2.6.3-8mdk.i686.rpm

whish me luck =) <--- I will report back later for the benefit of people who have C-media 8738 sound cards out there

Old 05-20-2004, 04:58 AM   #9
maqish
LQ Newbie

when using kernel-source* then you will be installing the kernel source, that will not be a directly runnable kernel like the secure and or smp one.

then you need to compile the kernel yourself, wich IMHO is always great because you can decide what's in it and what's not also you than can optimize it for your pc.

greetings Maqish

Old 05-20-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
FLOODS

Distribution: Fedora Core 4 Desktop/Server.

Rep: Reputation: 30
hm, I think you have to update alsa to be able to use sound in the 2.6 kernels.

have you? if not, get alsa from the mandrake update thing and have a go.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:55 AM   #11
Infinite_Pizza

Original Poster
Partial Sucess

I am back =)
Finally finish the compile kernel stuff ,.... I had finish testing the new kernel .....

After make bzImage , modules,modules_install ......... and lilo ....

I get to the point that I can hear the sound in good stero quality, "AFTER" I start mplayer ,play something first thwen close mplayer !!!!!!!!

What I mean is Before I can listen to mp3 from xmms I have to fire up mplayer and play something , and close mplayer. ??? any suggestions ? .......

I had notice there are some errors during the kernel boot up to gnome , has anyone remember the command for getting the boot up message ?? ... I don't think it's

"dmesg" <-- it's the other one ... can't remember the name

I got 3 fail messages

1. can't umount /intrid
2. can't find usb_ubi <--- or something similay to that
3. ALSA is alreadying starting , can' start mixer ??? or something like that <--- the sound problem , after start and close mplayer , I am convince that some program is using the sound card +*( <--- does anyone know how to fix this ?

Old 07-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #12
Infinite_Pizza

Original Poster
A solution ?

I finally give up and reinstall mandrake 10 , and the thing still persist,

After numerious rebooting and playing around with snd (alsa), and non snd(no alsa) driver , I donno how but it works .... I just have to save the modprobe file and other relavent so next time when I face the same thing I can call upon the file to do wonders =)

Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 PM   #13
FLOODS

Distribution: Fedora Core 4 Desktop/Server.

Rep: Reputation: 30
maybe mplayer was unmuting alsa. you could have tried alsamixer and found what volumes you were at.