LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2002, 02:59 AM   #1
saravan29
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Mounting NTFS partion in Linux

Hi,

I'm using Redhat 7.2 and am unable to acess my NTFS partion. How can I re-compile kernel to add NTFS support???

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2002, 08:36 AM   #2
digital bots

Distribution: Slack 10.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Mounting NTFS partion in Linux

Quote:
Originally posted by saravan29
Hi,

I'm using Redhat 7.2 and am unable to acess my NTFS partion. How can I re-compile kernel to add NTFS support???

Thanks.
i wish i knew man i have been trying for 3 weeks now.
but there here. samba.org
***EDIT***
o i just did this was load a ftp client on my Win2k box and ftped into it. That works to.

Last edited by digital bots; 03-15-2002 at 11:38 AM.

Old 03-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #3
stoni111
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RedHat 7.1

Hi,

I am a complete rookie and I have not much experience, but I have a dualboot system and I mount my Windows XP drive (FAT32) and can access it. I read the documentation and it says, that mounting NTFS drives is also possible (but only read access or so)

Does this help you?

Regards,
Martin.

Old 03-16-2002, 03:37 AM   #4
chrislip
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat

I have got my RH7.2 talking to my NTFS partitions no problem. First off you will need an up to date copy of the kernel source (I am using 2.4.17). I imagine you know how to compile it, but just in case I'll detail it below (This is a Newbie forum after all ).
copy the source file to your /usr/src folder (cp linux-2.4.17.tar.gz /usr/src)
Unpack the file (cd /usr/src;tar -zxf linux-2.4.17.tar.gz) - This will need about 100M free space so make sure you have got that on the drive.
Change to the linux folder (cd linux)
Start the configuration program (If you are in XWindows you can use 'make xconfig', otherwise use the standard 'make config')
The setting you need to have enabled is in filesystem suport, it is a NTFS File system support (Read only). Just answer yes to this, then when you are back at the command prompt rebuild the kernel with 'make dep;make clean;make install;make modules;make modules_install;make bzImage'

Once this has run (It will take a while), change to the arch/i386/boot directory (cd arch/i386/boot). Copy the bzImage file to the root boot folder, I rename the file to new kernel at this point (cp bzImage /boot/newkernel)

You will know need to configure your boot loader to use this new kernel file. I use GRUB and need to edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf (My modifications a re shown in italics below)

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/sdc1
initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

title Linux (New Kernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /newkernel ro root=/dev/sdc1

The configuration for Lilo is different, but I 'm not sure on how to do that so you'll have to read the documentation.

Reboot, select your new kernel and if all goes well when you log in you should be able to mount your NTFS partitions as easily as mounting any other device.

Hope this helps

Old 07-28-2002, 04:26 AM   #5
BlackDogg

Distribution: RedHat 7.3, SuSe 8.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hello, all I'm using RH7.3, and I was able to mount my drive by recompiling. I took a snipit from here:

http://www.getlinuxonline.com//omp/d.../ompntfs2.html

Well, now I have a problem, I just reformated my drive and reinstalled RH7.3, did an update on RH's site for linux-2.4.18-5 kernel, I compiled an ntfs module with that kernel, and now I'm not able to mount. @ console I now get this error when I type this in console:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda5 /mnt

Error Output:
mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel.

Anyone know what could be wrong? I did everything exactly as from what that snipit mentioned. I"m not sure if I did anything more or extra the first time.

Old 07-28-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
MasterC
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu ; CentOS ; Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 69
Don't quote me on this one, but if you compiled it as module, you will need to either 1)'modprobe ntfs' in a terminal OR 2)add an entry in modules.conf to have it autoprobed at boot time. Another option would be to compile it directly into the kernel, rather than as module. Really, kinda like the "email" from the linux+ntfs maintainer said, on newer kernels it doesn't eat data. At least I haven't read anything about that.

Old 07-28-2002, 01:29 PM   #7
BlackDogg

Distribution: RedHat 7.3, SuSe 8.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Which is better? Module or kernel compiling for NTFS?

I'm think compiling the kernel is better, I'm not sure though since it's direct. I've done a search on compiling via kernel on this board, but found someone who explained the steps but that person was using grub. I'm on RH73 and using lilo, can someone show me how to compile the kernel to enable NTFS? I'm a newb but I believe I'm comforable with recompiling.