LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2002, 11:38 PM   #1
tarak4u

Distribution: can't get in

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry unistall How to uninstall linux

Hi,
Dear friend i don't know how to uninstall the linux from my system I have win98 and linux on a computer and have two partation now i want to unistall linux and want the space in 98 so please desribe me how can i do that

Thank you

Old 03-11-2002, 12:08 AM   #2
bbenz3

Distribution: Whatever I feel like at the time I install.

Rep: Reputation: 30
run fdisk under a command line from win98 and remove the partitons made by linux. Then recreate the partitions and format them.
if you have loaded a boot manager to the hdd, then type:
fdisk /mbr
that will get rid of Lilo or any other boot loader that would be there.

Old 03-11-2002, 04:20 AM   #3
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
One potential problem may arise from this.

Microsoft ship their own 'version' of FDISK, and this version only copies the last MBR. So, if this is the situation:

Installed Windows - MBR=Windows - Backup MBR=None
Installed Linux - MBR=Lilo - Backup MBR=Windows
Installed Linux again - MBR=Lilo - Backup MBR=Lilo

Then doing an fdisk /mbr will copy the last backup MBR onto the current MBR, so you will still be stuck with Lilo. I would advise that in situations as these, you get a copy of something like XOSL and install it.

Last edited by Thymox; 03-11-2002 at 07:48 AM.

Old 03-11-2002, 06:29 AM   #4
amp2000

Distribution: Mandrake 9.0 mostly!

Ive had problems in the past getting rid of Linux using fdisk.
If fdisk wont do it for you I'd suggest booting off your Linux Cd & delete your Linux partitions & set up the fat32 partition, format it & exit the install without doing anything else, now fdisk will see the partitions

Old 03-11-2002, 07:46 AM   #5
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
Yeah, but the problem with ms-fdisk is not the fact that it can't see the Linux partitions, but it only copies the previous mbr back onto the mbr. Even if you re-type and re-format your Linux partitions as fat32, you'll still be presented with the LI prompt (or whatever the Grub one is).

[begin rambling] A while ago (about 18months) I tried installing QNX. It didn't work, so I tried to install it again. It still didn't work. Then I found that the current MBR was that of the QNX boot-loader, and so was the previous MBR, so doing an fdisk /mbr would not help me at all. At the time I hadn't heard of XOSL, so the only way I could revert back to a clean Windows only MBR (this is just before I gave Linux a try, mind) was to format the harddisk and re-install Windows. Now, since I intend to keep at least Mandy on my current system, I'm quite happy having LiLo as the boot loader, but I keep XOSL on my Windows partition so that should Lilo go cockeyed (through my own fiddling) I still have a decent boot loader that I can install from a dos-boot-disk, and boot to Windows with. [/end rambling]

Tarak, this may sound long-winded, but give this a go:

Boot to Windows. Make a boot floppy. (If you already have one, you can skip it).
Boot to Linux. Go to the command prompt (the thing that looks like DOS) and run cfdisk /dev/hda. Select the Linux partitions and make them fat32. Now, Linux is likely to go tits up now, so boot from the Windows boot disk you just made. Type fdisk /mbr. Reboot the machine. If all has gone well, you will be able to boot straight into Windows, upon which you will be presented with another drive under My Computer. Format it. Hopefully this will have everything sorted, but it might be more difficult than this.

I would strongly advise that you download XOSL now, and have it ready on your C drive. Should everything go horribly wrong, you can do the following:

Boot from the Windows boot disk. Go to the directory into which you installed XOSL (I have mine in C:\XOSL for ease) and run it. You will be presented with a set of options, I would advise that you install XOSL into the MBR rather than giving it its own partition (that would just complicate matters even further). Reboot. You will probably then be able to set up which OSes are on your harddisk - since you will only have Windows, it shouldn't be too bad. Once you've set it up, reboot and cross your fingers!

Old 03-11-2002, 10:47 AM   #6
neo77777
LQ Addict

Distribution: *NIX

Rep: Reputation: 56
I found the easiest solution is to get hands on W2K boot floppies, pop the firrst one in boot from it, then go through W2K pre-install process, at the end it will ask you where you want your W2K to be and it'll show you all your partitions including linux's ones, delete them format them into FAT32 and quit installation process. That's all, all you need is a kind friend who can make for you these floppies.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
amp2000

Distribution: Mandrake 9.0 mostly!

Ye the windows2000 CD does the trick all right, definitely the simplest way to do it