LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
upchucky

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 16
Mount NTFS on RH9

Hello all,

thanks to those whom offered advice, I finally got my blank Toshiba screen working, nice challenge, had fun.

I am now trying to mount the windows ntfs file system, according to the man pages it is supported as read only.

I can not find the proper syntax to tell it to mount,

does this look right?
#mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

this is the command that my rh book shows, but when I type it, it comes back as ntfs not supported. even when my man pages says that it is supported.

there is something in the man pages that I do not understand, and it could be the clue I am missing

something about octal 8.3 files and assignments\conversions?

if anyone has the actual syntax for mounting the ntfs filesystem I would be very happy, being able to mount would help in transfering all my files to linux.

thanks again

upchucky

Old 02-10-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
megaspaz

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 46
read only for ntfs is supported, but not natively in red hat. you need to install the ntfs modules.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/redhat9.html

get the rpm based on your kernel version and arch type. 386 is safe, but you should be able to use 586 or 686. after installing then run your mount command.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:26 AM   #3
upchucky

Original Poster
Thanks spaz,

I got the kernel update, and all is well.
now on to my next task, setting file permissions on 13,990 files,
There must be an easy way!
who said Linux is not fun?

Old 02-10-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
There is, please explain in detail.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:09 AM   #5
upchucky

Original Poster
File Permissions

Once I got my ntfs to mount, I copied all my files from ntfs to ext3, after that I found that I have to set various permissions for each user to access their various files.

my intent is to completely switch all users to linux, and remove xp and all microsoft apps.

I have downloaded and started to set up my winmodem, and somewhere I have made an error.

I made changes in the "make" file, but it still fails with missing directory errors, (error 1) I have edited all entries that I can see where it needs to put files.

I can not find where it is getting the instructions from, that it is using to copy to my "usr/include/linux" file. I made changes using "vi", but it still wants to put the files in the wrong place.

It is just a matter of time.