LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
barryjones
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
packages not found when installing programs from add/remove applications

Then trying to install development tools from add/remove applications in redhat 9 I get the error:

packages not found
openssl 0.9.7a-2
krb5-libs 1.2.7-10

when I do a rpm -q I find that newer versions are installed
openssl-0.9.7a-20
krb5-libs-1.2.7-14

how to I get package management to recognise these newer versions and install the development tools?

Old 01-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
jailbait
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian 12

Rep: Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548
"how to I get package management to recognise these newer versions and install the development tools?"

use:
rpm --nodeps -i /pathname/packagename.rpm

However you may run into problems when the development tools version and the main package version do not match. The example versions that you gave are close enough that there is a decent chance that they might work OK, but it is not a certainty.

Steve Stites

Old 01-10-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
paul.nel

Distribution: Gentoo, Redhat 9, SuSE 9.0, 9.2, Win XP

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have a similar problem. The solution presented by jailbait is fine, but how do I convince rh9's Intstaller to ignore dependancies? Or am I now doomed to a life of manual installations ?

p.n

Old 01-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
jailbait
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian 12

Rep: Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548
"I have a similar problem. The solution presented by jailbait is fine, but how do I convince rh9's Intstaller to ignore dependancies? Or am I now doomed to a life of manual installations ?"

The highly automated installers are a mixed blessing. They work with little effort but they lack flexibility. Also when they screw up you often have no idea what they were doing when the problem occured, so diagnosing problems is hard with the automated installers.

So, in spite of all the hype for apt-get, up2date, etc., in practice you will have to maintain your packages with a combination of rh9's installer, command line rpm, and kpackage.

A good command to get to know is:
rpm -qa | sort > /root/all.rpms.txt
This creates a list of all of your installed rpms which is useful when you are trying to figure out what the automated installer really did.

Steve Stites

Last edited by jailbait; 01-10-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
paul.nel

Distribution: Gentoo, Redhat 9, SuSE 9.0, 9.2, Win XP

Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks. Will keep in mind.

Regards
Paul

Old 01-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
aqoliveira

Distribution: /Red Hat/Fedora/Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 30
Howzit

YIP u guessed it I´m from S.A too now living in Portugal and yes miss S.A a whole lot. Well have a suggestion about resolving your depenancies prob.

U can auto install dependent packages by doing the following:

1. Install rpmdb-redhat packages so that file dependencies can be determined. (rpm-redhat-version.rpm). This rpm file will be found on the distro CD.
2.Make the RPMs from RH Linux release available. This should be in a single dir on your system. Copy files the following way cp -av
3.Creat rpm macro creat a file /root/.rpmmacros which contains the following line %_solve_pkgsdir /path/to/my/packages
4. when installing the rpm now use the cmd following way rpm -ivh --aid newpackage-version.i386.rpm

hope this will work for & VIVA the BOKKE

chow