LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2004, 07:55 AM   #16
klaperle
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0

Sounds like you're on the right track. I had a lot of trouble trying to get Alien installed and operating properly though - I know I had to have dpkg and dpkg-dev installed as well as dependencies for Alien, yet still could not get Alien installed. I must be missing something.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:02 PM   #17
jmirles

Distribution: Mepis, Libranet, Vector, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
Netzero

OK, I got Netzero installed on Mepis. It dials, connects and even tells me I am logged on, but then nothing happens. It disconnects me with a message saying that it could not find the server. I moved the modem over to my windows pc and got right in using the same number.

Also, when configuring, it hung up after I selected the phone numbers. I hit enter a couple of time and it got back to the sign on box. The numbers are all there.

Any ideas?

Old 01-22-2004, 06:59 PM   #18
klaperle
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Miss Behaviour

Hmmm...

I have had more or less the same behaviour even under windows on rare occasion. Sometimes a particular server is not responding properly - maybe overloaded or something. Sometimes changing to another dialup solves it, but occasionally I have had to wait til the next morning and magically all is well.

I have also had this occur under windows when my firewall doesnt let the connection through.

So, assuming you have tried the other numbers, and I dont even know if there is a software firewall avail for Linux, I am a at a loss.

You havent mentioned wether you are a paid Netzero or are trying it out "on the cheap". I hevent tried to log in as a free user, just under my paid for account. Maybe I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. Not tonite though - got a lot on the plate.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #19
dadmarshall
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Suse 9.0 / Knoppix 3.3

Hello,
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here and explain how I got Netzero running on Suse 9.0.
First install the deb packages with Yast, alien is not needed. Download the netzero.deb and as root in terminal use dpkg -extract netzero.deb /(the place you want to extract the deb to).
You can extract to /opt because that is where the .deb would normally install it, making a directory /opt/nzclient. If you end up after the extract with /opt/opt/nzclient move to /opt/nzclient, you will also have to move the shortcut to start netzero to your desktop directory and icons to /usr/share/icons/hicolor, also the doc's should go in /usr/share/doc/.
The most unforunate thing I found is that nzclient.sh wants to run as root and even if you change chmod/chown it doesn't seem to run correctly, won't dial the modem or if it dials won't route ppp properly? So run as root or create a shortcut to an application that runs as root and asks for the root password. Instead of installing mozilla, which it also wants, you can open the /opt/nzclient/nzclient.sh file and change the mozilla to konqueror and it will open konq after it connects, give it some time my AMD 450 k6-2 took about 60 seconds. Hope thats helps.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #20
zw69
LQ Newbie

Hi, anybody tried to dial netzero under redhat? I got the netzero.deb two weeks ago, and tried under redhat9 and 7.1, seems the .deb file doesn't support the redhat, I covert it to .rpm and .tgz by alien, but I can't install the unpacked files.
I saw the suggestion of Mandrake and Memphis, but to tell the truth, I am tired of the system installation, time cost for setup the hardware and software.
If somebody are using netzero under redhat, please give me any clue to figure it out.
Anyway, if someone could help me figure out what netzero dialup do to my account and passwd, normally they send to the ISP for conformation ID via some changes in the account and passwd, so that why I can't dial it even through the windows dialup software, a error passwd information always pop out. If anybody have a way to sort out what changes netzero made via their dialup software?
I use netzero platinums account.
Thanks!

Old 05-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #21
cncook001
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Whitebox 3.0

I can also confirm netzero.deb works on Redhat / Whitebox linux.

Here is what you need:

Download netzero.deb from the netzero web site.
Copy it to /
eg.
cp netzero.deb /
cd /
ar -xv netzero.deb
gunzip data.tar.gz
tar xvf data.tar
rm data.tar control.tar.gz debian-binary
Install Java VM from here as brassfish advised:
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
cd /opt/nzclient
./runclient.sh

Netzero will launch mozilla and prompt you to login. Make sure you have your modem already working.

If you want to add it to your gnome desktop you will need something like this:

cd ~/.gnome-desktop

Create a file with these contents

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=/opt/nzclient/runclient.sh
Icon=/opt/nzclient/images/nz410.jpg
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=NetZero Internet
Path=
ServiceTypes=
SwallowExec=
SwallowTitle=
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

------
Note: Netzero does not support linux, only lindows

Old 06-02-2004, 09:56 AM   #22
zw69
LQ Newbie

I tried in redhat 9, installed the java plugin... the netzero dialup windows appear after I run ./runclient.sh, it connect the isp but failed in lanching the mozilla, I could see the "logging into network", waiting for the netzero task bar prompt, the shit task bar! My problem is it can't autolanch mozilla and active that dammed taskbar!!!
Finally it shows the sign, "network busy, dial again..."

Old 06-19-2004, 03:06 PM   #23
pimpz0r2000
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 5

Hello, i was browsing through google looking for a solution to this problem and i found this forum. I understand this topic is probably VERY outdated but i need help.

I recently installed "fedora core 1" linux and i am a "netzero" user (sadly). I followed the instructions exactly but when i do "./runclient.sh" it tells me there is an error... java command not found line 6 (or some worthless bullcrap like that)..

The netzero icon is on the GUI desktop though.

when i go to the directory of runclient.sh i double click on it and it tells me the program can't be found... and if i double click on the desktop icon it stalls and lags with the turning hourglass and just stops.

I NEED to setup Netzero on Linux.

If anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it.. PLEASE post or pm me or whatever you cats do.

(yes i installed the java thing.. and yes i got the winmodem update)

thanks and im putting a penguin smiley for good measure because penguins rule.

please help

-the J man

Old 08-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #24
mickeyboa

Distribution: FC-KDE, 32 and 64 bit

Rep: Reputation: 68
Did you ever get NetZero connected using Fedora and the netzero.deb file.
If so how did you do it? It would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Tate

Old 08-26-2004, 06:27 PM   #25
pimpz0r2000
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 5

Nope, never did.

I made several posts about it later.. and i got closer in getting fedora to recognize my modem, but netzero never worked.

What i recommend to you is to use KPPP... its like a dialer, but not from netzero.. just put in the netzero number you dial up to.. and it should work,

IF and only IF you got the winmodem RPM for your modem and kernel version.

i am sure you have... but if you haven't, www.linmodems.org (i believe is the link)

-the J man

Old 07-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #26
CoolAJ86

Distribution: Gentoo, Ubuntu - t3h 1337 & the easy, respectively

Rep: Reputation: 15
Simple Netzero HowTo

Code:
sudo su -
wget http://dl.netzero.net/pub/netzero/li...ws/netzero.deb
dpkg -i netzero.deb

Last edited by CoolAJ86; 07-08-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #27
udz2002
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04

Quote:
Originally posted by cncook001
I can also confirm netzero.deb works on Redhat / Whitebox linux.

Here is what you need:

Download netzero.deb from the netzero web site.
Copy it to /
eg.
cp netzero.deb /
cd /
ar -xv netzero.deb
gunzip data.tar.gz
tar xvf data.tar
rm data.tar control.tar.gz debian-binary
Install Java VM from here as brassfish advised:
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
cd /opt/nzclient
./runclient.sh

Netzero will launch mozilla and prompt you to login. Make sure you have your modem already working.

If you want to add it to your gnome desktop you will need something like this:

cd ~/.gnome-desktop

Create a file with these contents

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=/opt/nzclient/runclient.sh
Icon=/opt/nzclient/images/nz410.jpg
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=NetZero Internet
Path=
ServiceTypes=
SwallowExec=
SwallowTitle=
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

------
Note: Netzero does not support linux, only lindows
This also works for PCLinuxOS which is based on Mandrake 10.1

Old 08-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #28
sshoemaker
LQ Newbie

Distribution: FC4

Fedora Core 4 install

I got it working in Fedora Core 4 on my laptop (IBM A31) with an AC '97 modem.

First I got the modem drivers from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pack...m-2.9.9.tar.gz and installed them following the README in the package. This step is only neccessary for that type of modem. If you have a Conexant modem you can get the driver from http://www.linuxant.com (you will have to pay for a full speed modem license, but it's only like $15 so it's not gonna break the bank)

Then I downloaded Alien from http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/alien_8.56.tar.gz

I then ran

# alien -r netzero.deb

this created an rpm which installed.

To make this run I did the following:

# modprobe slamr
# slmodemd --country=USA
# cd /dev
# ln -s ttySL0 modem

then I just clicked on the desktop icon that netzero sets up (or you can run /opt/nzclient/runclient.sh)

It will work from there. You just have to make sure that you are running that slmodemd --country=USA first before starting NetZero. It looks for /dev/modem and since that program has to be running to create the ttySL0 it must be running first.

Hope this helps someone out there.

P.S. -- this software supposedly only works with the Platinum membership... so people using the free stuff can't login on Linux. -- I haven't tried the free login, but then again, they said it only works with Lindows....