LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

View Poll Results: How happy are you with Linux?
Extremely happy. 37 50.00%
Very happy. 26 35.14%
Neutral. 9 12.16%
Very un-happy. 1 1.35%
Extremely un-happy. 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
digiplaya

Distribution: Sabayon 3.3 & Sidux 2007

Rep: Reputation: 15
100% Happy with Linux. Are you?

I'm very happy with Redhat Linux. Are you happy with your version of Linux? Please reply or vote on my poll.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
randomblast

Distribution: Gentoo/SuSE 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 30
of course i'm happy, i wouldn't use it if i wasn't.
well, that's not really true, i'm using winXP on my dads box atm, and i really hate it, but i'm still using it.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:58 PM   #3
natalinasmpf

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

I love Linux due to its stability and user power, yet hate it at the same time. Mostly its because maintence and installing new stuff is soo hard. I liked the Windows registry system where you could install the files anywhere you want and it would be recorded where you stored them, so any dependencies could refer to the registry from there...

It also makes it easier when finding dependencies, because many times, the predecessor's files are not where the next installer looks.

Either that, or I just have really bad luck. Especially when using makefiles for huge installations.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
Scruff

Distribution: Gentoo x86_64 & PPC

I am beyond happy with it. Slackware in my case. I am totally free from all the bother I used to have to deal with when using windows: 98, ME, 2000 & XP having to constantly search out ways to circumvent all of M$'s B.S. so I could feel safe and at least slightly in control.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
ilikejam

Distribution: Fedora / Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 97
I'm 100% happy with Linux.

I'm happy because I don't have to wait for the next financially convenient opportunity for software companies to issue upgrades, all of the software I need is available to download, I don't have to upgrade to the bleeding edge version if I don't want to and if a feature I need isn't available, I can dive into the source and do it myself (with varying degrees of success, but the opportunity is still there).

I'm happy because I can configure every part of my computing experience, from my icon set, to my choice of shell, to the components compiled into my kernel.

I'm happy because I have given away my copies of windows, don't have to pay the MS tax, and don't have to use pirate software when I can't afford to pay the extortionate prices for the software I need.

I'm happy because I can pass on the (admittedly small amount of) knowledge I have gained in installing, using and maintaining Linux to the good people on forums like this.

I'm happy because I can use Linux (and X Windows etc) on hardware that I can't even install Win2k/XP on.

I'm happy because I haven't had to reboot my machine at a time which didn't suit me and haven't lost a single byte of data in two years.

In short, I'm 100% happy with Linux because it has freed my PC, my Internet and (in a lot of ways) my mind.

</RANT>

Dave

/me takes a valium and goes to bed

Last edited by ilikejam; 12-07-2003 at 08:04 PM.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
natalinasmpf

Quote:
and at least slightly in control.
Thats a huge understatement. You are a LOT in control.

I love Linux for all the above reasons, but mantaining it is tedious. At least I should be thankful it isn't tedious to mantain security.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #7
Scruff

Distribution: Gentoo x86_64 & PPC

Quote:
Originally posted by natalinasmpf
Thats a huge understatement. You are a LOT in control.
With Linux I am in control.

"...having to constantly search out ways to circumvent all of M$'s B.S. so I could feel safe and at least slightly in control."

was referring to my situation while still using windows

Old 12-07-2003, 10:20 PM   #8
natalinasmpf

Aha. Although I think the "Trusted Computing" scheme will wipe out all control, even for Linux for x86's at least.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
frieza

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
my cup runeth over with joy

Quote:
Originally posted by natalinasmpf
II liked the Windows registry system where you could install the files anywhere you want and it would be recorded where you stored them, so any dependencies could refer to the registry from there...

It also makes it easier when finding dependencies, because many times, the predecessor's files are not where the next installer looks.

Either that, or I just have really bad luck. Especially when using makefiles for huge installations.
the registry ??? yeah sure it's covienient, but it also creates a single point of failure, being one of windows' strengths and weakness at the same time.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
natalinasmpf

Well, you could also just wipe out the entire /usr/lib and whatnot folder since its all static, also a weakness.

What they need, is for critical registry entries to be protected, which is normal in Linux.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:57 AM   #11
fuelinjection

Distribution: Fedora

As a server, I am 110% happy with it, but I'm not yet comfortable enough with it to allow it to replace MS XP on my other machine.

As a server, I find it much quicker that the server I have installed on windows XP.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:57 AM   #12
OrphanedLand
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
I'm happy

Hello everyone,

I'm using Red Hat Linux 9 and I'm extremely happy. I can everything with my linux box and it's so fast with my PIII 667, 128 MB RAM machine. I'm using my linux box since May 2003 and it's still fast and stable... But I'm not using RPM. I like tarballs much more.

I have OpenOffice 1.1 as office suite, httpd 2.0.48 as webserver, MySQL as SQL server and client, PHP 3.4.3 as scripting language, Bluefish as HTML and PHP editor, Glade 2 as GUI designer, Anjuta 1.1.97 as IDE, Gimp 1.3.20 as image manuplating program, Mozilla Firebird 0.7 as web browser, Gaim 0.74 as instant messenger

All of them are works fine and fast. No freeze, no crashes, no troubles...

Note: I'm not using Windows. I have only Linux in my computer...

Last edited by OrphanedLand; 12-08-2003 at 03:00 AM.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:37 AM   #13
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 87
Yes, for obvious reasons -- J.W.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:16 AM   #14
8nasmith

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

I do also like Linux its very stable and very eye catching depending on how you configure it obviously! any way after using Win for years and switching to Linux only at the beginning of the year I found it brilliant to use.

Old 12-08-2003, 06:48 AM   #15
randomblast

Distribution: Gentoo/SuSE 9.0

natalinasmpf: the registry is a tool of Satan
it is not good thinking to store all system settings in a global file to which anybody has write permissions.
compiling from source is not actually that hard, if you don't like doing it yourself you should try gentoo, it's emerge system will odwnload/compile/install everything for you, all you have to do is type "emerge <appname>"
kinda like slackwares apt-get except it compiles from source instead of using pre-compiled binaries