LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

View Poll Results: What to do with LFS Forum??
Keep the existing forum, as a small LFS discussion forum. 3 16.67%
Scrap it and start a new one, with a new topic in mind. 10 55.56%
Scrap it all, your crazy to think you can start and maintain a forum of your own. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
My LFS Forum now pointless.

Okay, at about the same time Jeremy was setting this up and all, I started a LFS forum at one of my extra domains I use to use for my band at http://www.butterchump.com cause the LFS'ers were demanding it. So working with Jeremy and our new LFS maintainer, I would rather see more LFS's posting here and getting help at www.linuxfromscratch.com than my site, which is all buggy right now anyways... I feel for you Jeremy, lots of hard work getting things working right. Thanks for creating this site and doing all the hard work to keep it maintained for us.

So the Question is, should I keep the existing forum, to experiment with and keep it as a small LFS Discussion board, or should I turn it into another forum for another topic, cause with as many members already here at LQ, I would rather have the forum here for LFS, as we have a LFS Maintainer as well helping out here.

I was thinking now maybe a small forum for Slackware specific issues, problems for us Slackies??

You tell me what I should turn the butterchump.com LFS forum into ??

Open for Suggestions.......

your new LFS Moderator along with jharris....

-trickykid

Old 01-18-2002, 03:29 PM   #2
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
Thanks trickykid. Your site looks great. Wish I would have known about it while I was setting this up. Looks like I lot of hard work went into setting your site up.

Just a heads up. The LFS forum is most likely the first of what will hopefully be a new trend - Distro specific forums that have someone from the distro monitoring it. As always stay tuned!

--jeremy

Old 01-18-2002, 04:49 PM   #3
lfslinux
LFS Maintainer

Distribution: Linux From Scratch

Rep: Reputation: 30
change it

My recommendation is to not spread ourselves too thin here. Having 3 different places to discuss LFS is just going to confuse people.

If you really want to discuss the LFS project (not LFS systems perse) I'd say subscribe to the lfs-dev mailinglist (see http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/mailinglists/info.shtml for mail.list info's) since if you want to discuss LFS you probably want to discuss it with all the LFS developers and long-time users who are all on that list. You'd also be aware of what is going on 'in the trenches' and what bleeding-edge development is looking like, what is available, which bugs are fixed, etc.

Now, a forum that discusses LFS systems themselves, who's using it, with what results, etc, compare with other distro's, your experiences, etc. would be perfectly suitable here. We do have a list called blfs-support (blfs=beyond lfs = http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org) where we discuss everything and anything to do with LFS, except for support questions and development issues relating to the lfs-book (so pretty much the LFS book and the LFS server features). We also discuss the price of beer when people find a need for it. We even get the occasional non-lfs distribution support question (not sure how they end up there, but it happens).

But, casual discussions don't take place too often. blfs-support's main volume is mainly support questions how to install certain things not covered by the lfs book, but that are covered in the blfs book, or in neither.

We used to have a site called community.linuxfromscratch.org but it went off-line after that server went offline (ISP problems - it wasn't hosted on the main LFS server at that time. Now that we have a better server and a lot more bandwidth we wanted to re-instate that forum (slashcode based, so it looked just like http://www.slashdot.org) but we just never got around it.

So, that's the brief history and mailing lists. To recap: we used to have a forum much like linuxquestions but specifically geared towards LFS. The forum isn't available anymore, but if this forum gets used frequently and mostly for non-support questions then I'd say it could become the new community.linuxfromscratch.org area.

Old 01-18-2002, 05:14 PM   #4
bluecadet

Distribution: MD81 RH71

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
Thanks trickykid. Your site looks great. Wish I would have known about it while I was setting this up. Looks like I lot of hard work went into setting your site up.

Just a heads up. The LFS forum is most likely the first of what will hopefully be a new trend - Distro specific forums that have someone from the distro monitoring it. As always stay tuned!

--jeremy
sorry but that sounds like a mum who just got given her daily birthday card from their 5 year old kid.. "oh, that's lovely!.. is that the dog? Oh, it's me is it? no.. their their.. don't cry, it's very good..."

and is it rude to ask who this lfs chap is, and why he get's his own status?

Old 01-18-2002, 05:23 PM   #5
isajera

Rep: Reputation: 45
lfslinux is the guy who started the www.linuxfromscratch.org website... (yes blue, you may kneel before him )

also... hate to say it tricky... but it's a strong possibility that your lfs forum is redundant now. you'd probably be best off just mod-ing this lfs forum and getting a different project for butterchump...

ah... i hate to see good work go to waste

Old 01-18-2002, 05:42 PM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by isajera
lfslinux is the guy who started the www.linuxfromscratch.org website... (yes blue, you may kneel before him )

also... hate to say it tricky... but it's a strong possibility that your lfs forum is redundant now. you'd probably be best off just mod-ing this lfs forum and getting a different project for butterchump...

ah... i hate to see good work go to waste
this is where you say.. hey, we need this type of forum..

yeah, i am going to stay with a forum but not sure.. i might scrap it and reinstall it since it came with a bogus, buggy, will not open in any editor buddy.php file for the buddy list to function properly.

and yes cadet, it would be rude.. but if you see that jeremy is trying to get a representative from any specific distro to help and kind of monitor the distro he represents in this forum, that is why he gets his own title. this can help others out on this site as they can feed us news, updates and other related things pertaining to the distro they are representing, most likely working for the distro.
Quote:
By jeremy:
Thanks for the input lfslinux, that is what i thought after jeremy decided to put a LFS forum here, as mine would be pointless and a waste, with www.linuxfromscratch.com mailing lists and a forum here, no need for a third one somewhere else in cyberspace.

I would much rather see this forum here if having one.

-trickykid

Last edited by trickykid; 01-18-2002 at 05:45 PM.

Old 01-19-2002, 02:46 AM   #7
Aussie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 58
Go for another forum subject tricky, I agree with three seperate forums being a bit much for a niche subject as LFS. I've got a complete forum with all of five members at p-two.net and the only post this year is from myself.......ah well, I only set it up to teach myself how to do it so it's not a complete waste

Old 01-19-2002, 11:39 AM   #8
trickykid
LQ Guru

Original Poster
alright.. who is the one vote so far in the Scrap it all, your crazy to think you can start and maintain a forum of your own.
come on.. speak up..

my feelings are hurt now, knowing someone out there doesn't think I could handle my own forum.

thanks aussie.. yeah, i am going to make some sort of forum.. just don't know yet what about.. any ideas ?

Old 01-19-2002, 04:04 PM   #9
Aussie

Rep: Reputation: 58
......web site construction.....

Old 01-20-2002, 02:52 AM   #10
finegan
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid

alright.. who is the one vote so far in the Scrap it all, your crazy to think you can start and maintain a forum of your own.

come on.. speak up..

I have no idea what you're talking about Bob, none... no idea... Taz's finger slipped when clicking... whoops... er, yeah

Quote:

my feelings are hurt now, knowing someone out there doesn't think I could handle my own forum.

Nah... never... I for one think you would have more than enough skills to deal with the endless tedium of searching for trolls, responding to complaints... hosing down the colo with an ABC fire extinguisher when the grilled sandwich you left sitting too close to the alpha catches fire, and then having to rebuild everything from a spare P1 and a lot of duct tape and love.

Quote:

thanks aussie.. yeah, i am going to make some sort of forum.. just don't know yet what about.. any ideas ?
How about a forum for masochists? people that only want to compile their own stuff from source on Compaqs running Mandrake 8.1?

-Cheers,

Finegan

Old 01-20-2002, 03:42 AM   #11
isajera

Rep: Reputation: 45
[QUOTE]Originally posted by finegan

Nah... never... I for one think you would have more than enough skills to deal with the endless tedium of searching for trolls, responding to complaints... hosing down the colo with an ABC fire extinguisher when the grilled sandwich you left sitting too close to the alpha catches fire, and then having to rebuild everything from a spare P1 and a lot of duct tape and love.

god i love this forum
finegan *kiss*

Old 01-20-2002, 06:51 AM   #12
trickykid
LQ Guru

Original Poster
dang.. 4 votes now saying i can't handle my own forum.. now i am really hurt..

hmmm.. maybe i should close this thread before i jump off a cliff and kill myself.

i hope no one is taking my last remark seriously.

hmm.. website construction.. or masochists.. both good ideas.. i'll think of something.. and let you guys know once i am done.. hey maybe one covering certs.. like linux, solaris.. and a special one to make fun of that mcse one..

Old 01-20-2002, 08:23 PM   #13
finegan
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally posted by isajera
god i love this forum

[/B]
Yeah, me too. I think I had something else written, but a large grey and black cat by the name of Churchill unplugged the ethernet cable in my neighbor's apartment that was hooked up to the most deranged wireless LAN in Georgia, and by the time that was fixed, I had lost inspiration having chased him around my neighbor's apartment with a pen laser and a squirt gun.

No, seriously Tricky, you may want to think about getting in touch with Volkerding about putting up a Slackware forum. The last I checked their forum was still flushed and there was all of this hubabaloo around /. and other forums claiming something is in the works, but at 3 months, I'm calling it and signing the death certificate.

Actually, the real torture of the cats occured later when I dumped half a bag of catnip all over Chruchill and let Disraeli chase him around the apartment for two hours.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 01-20-2002, 08:25 PM   #14
trickykid
LQ Guru

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by finegan
No, seriously Tricky, you may want to think about getting in touch with Volkerding about putting up a Slackware forum. The last I checked their forum was still flushed and there was all of this hubabaloo around /. and other forums claiming something is in the works, but at 3 months, I'm calling it and signing the death certificate.
yeah, that had crossed my mind... i might do this, as dedicated slackies only around the world might like having a forum again.. we'll see.