LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #1
duerra

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 30
Choosing a Linux Distro

I'm new to Linux, and it seems that I'm constantly conflicted with which Linux Distro to go with. I don't know how quickly I'd fit into something like slackware (though it's definitely the coolest looking, and I love their site to death). I've heard that slackware doesn't do as much auto-detecting and things like that, and I'd hate to get stuck in a bind.

So I thought about Red Hat for a while (and even bought "Red Hat Linux 9 for Dummies"), then I read that Red Hat is the least standard of the top Linux Distro's. I don't know if this is acceptable or not. I wouldn't want to get caught in a bind with a company that's heading in the M$ direction, though.

Then I wantered over to SuSE. and was immediately intimidated, not to mention I can't find their documentation *anywhere*. Plus, I don't know much about SuSE other than that it's very commercial, and doesn't really seem to focus on Linux so much as it does selling you its software. They don't even make it possible to make an installation CD - you have to do ftp installation, which I don't feel is acceptable as far as reliability goes.

*sigh* So now I'm back to Mandrake. I don't want to seem like a "wuss" by going with inferior (in terms of performance), newbie software - because I want to learn Linux. But I'm lost as to what I'm able to handle starting out, while still being able to host my ever-growing site that's rapidly outliving my M$ box, and I want to do it securely at that.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 11-08-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
frydsqurl
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo, Win2K

Rep: Reputation: 0
I started using Linux around 3 years ago and I started with Mandrake. I would recomend starting with one of the easier distros, Mandrake or Redhat. Or if you have a high bandwith connection you could use Gentoo or Sorcer. All of these will do much of the system set up for you and make it easy to intall more programs. You can still do all of the low level stuff you want as you learn how, but I found it was easiest to learn one I got somthing installed and could play with it.

Old 11-08-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
fancypiper
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Rep: Reputation: 60
Mandrake is good and pretty peppy as well. I think they try to emulate Microsoft too much, however.

If you want more "bleedin' edge" stuff, check out Knoppix, which will run from the CD, so you can see what the Debian based is like.

# Cheap CDs
AlmostFreeLinux
Discount Linux CDs
Linux Central
Cheapbytes
TuxCDs
ComputerHelperGuy
CheapISO
Os Heaven
# Linux Distribution links:
A Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Linux Distribution
Reasons to Choose or Not Choose Linux

Old 11-08-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
fideli

Distribution: arch linux

Rep: Reputation: 15
i just installed linux for the first time recently and i use slackware. it's been a great learning experience for me and i must admit that it although there was (and still is) some post-install work for me to do, i wouldn't have had it any other way. for example, the first thing i did was create new partitions for my /home and /usr/local. that helped me understand about mounting partitions and the /etc/fstab file. i also had to bugger around with my sound chip and alsa for a while. 5 minutes ago i go my wheelmouse working. it'll be an ongoing process for a while but i know that the only way i'm going to learn about something is if it is necessary for me to do so, ie: to get it working. i wouldn't be intimidated because the people here at linuxquestions.org are really helpful and you're never the only one with whatever problem you come across. keep that in mind. good luck choosing a distro.

Old 11-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
duerra

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

I especially found the "A Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Linux Distribution" link informative and helpful - a link I've been looking for, for some time now. It seems that Knoppix may be a good Linux distro to go with.

fideli, thanks for the reassurance. I *do* want to learn Linux thoroughly, but I also want to move my site to a Linux Installation ASAP.

Do the people here feel that I could install slackware, get it configured securely, and deploy my site on slackware in a short amount of time?

Old 11-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
thewizard20

Distribution: slackware 9.1

if you do choose slackware im sure you wont have any poblems getting it set up and if you do run into a problem this is a good place for help. just try a search of linuxquestions most likely ull find what u need. as far as setting up ur website im not sure about that have not tryed that yet. mandrake is very nice for someone new i used that before i switched to slackware this is my second day in slackware it is nice. good luck in your choice of distros

Old 11-08-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
mysterio

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2,Knoppix 3.7,Slackware 10.0, FreeBSD. 5.3, OpenBSD 3.6, NetBSD 2.0, Debian

checkout distrowatch.com should give you some good ideas. enjoy.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:27 PM   #8
fancypiper
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally posted by mysterio
checkout distrowatch.com should give you some good ideas. enjoy.
He already did!

Old 11-09-2003, 01:54 AM   #9
Cimmerian

Distribution: Slackware10 + Dropline Gnome

I think you'll be fine with slackware. You will end up in control. It will be right.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:50 AM   #10
mysterio

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2,Knoppix 3.7,Slackware 10.0, FreeBSD. 5.3, OpenBSD 3.6, NetBSD 2.0, Debian

Quote:
He already did!

OOPS, My bad, sorry about that.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:43 AM   #11
duerra

Original Poster
Yeah, DistroWatch is great.

I just read up on slackware a bit. There's a project out there called "slapt-get", which is supposed to be similar to Debian's apt-get, I guess. Does anybody here use it, and know how well it works?

You guys have been a lot of help. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #12
chutsu

Distribution: Debian Lenny

Rep: Reputation: 31
Hey Anyone heard of a Distro called CORE??
Apparently the installation of the distro, you have to compile it and then do all kinds of stuff with it, which is quite complecated, but from what i have heard the people who have successfully installed and using Core are saying that the distro is great its stable and fast, Watchdistro.com doesn't have any information on it so, If anyone knows about this Distro give me a shout.

Oh and also if you could, it would be nice to have a screenshot of Core if anyone finds it??

Old 11-10-2003, 07:41 AM   #13
Demonbane
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 47
here's the info
http://coredistro.sourceforge.net/
but if you want to play with compiling I highly recommend Gentoo

Old 11-10-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
WindowsBurner

Distribution: OpenSuse

I think you should use slackware.
I've tried mandrake and RedHat but they don't give you the control that slackware does.
Especially RedHat the're just trying to be another Windows.

In the end it's up to you as to which one you will use but I strongly suggest slackware.