LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2003, 09:06 AM   #1
Lakota

Distribution: Mandriva 2007 Free

Rep: Reputation: 30
core.2200 888.0 memory dump - file just appeared in my home directory

Hopefully this is nothing to worry about, but past experience with Windoze has me paranoid about files appearing out of no where.

I am running Mandrake 9.1, Gnome2.2. Noticed file named core.2200, it is 888k in size, and has an icon of a bomb with a lit fuse. It was created last nite, but I only noticed it this morning. It is sitting in my home directory and I can't figure out how to view it's contents. Can't find any reference to file name using Google search on web or groups. At time of creation I believe I was either trying to add acrobat and flash pluggins to Mozilla or just managed to get my Kodak DX4330 camera set up and working. Hopefully someone knows what this is. I do run Shorewall on my box if that is of any relevance.

TIA

Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
motub

Distribution: Gentoo (main); SuSE 9.3 (fallback)

Rep: Reputation: 46
Afaik, this is some sort of debug output. Either one of your compiles had failed at some point, or when you rebooted something didn't close properly (can happen), or something similar occurred with some open file(s) at some point (like closing a terminal during a compile, etc).

The core files are similar to FILECHK.00x files in Windows. Unless you're a programmer, I don't think this file is of any use to you. When I get them, I just delete them (the same way I do with FILECHK files). Most likely nothing is broken, but if it is, you'll find out soon enough anyway, and can then take appropriate steps. Even if something was broken, it would most likely be an individual program, rather than the OS as a whole.

I wouldn't worry, if I was you, but anyone who knows better can certainly correct me .

Old 10-06-2003, 09:25 AM   #3
Lakota

Distribution: Mandriva 2007 Free

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Thanks Motub, I am familiar with FILECHK.00x, so I feel relaxed now.