LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxAnswers Discussion
User Name
Password
LinuxAnswers Discussion This forum is to discuss articles posted to LinuxAnswers.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Web31337

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 65
PHP - basics of writing secure code

A new la entry has been added:

PHP - basics of writing secure code

Quote:
PHP is a poweful language for developing web-sites. Many sites on the net using it as a core.

And, of course, any power can be used in both ways. When most beginner(and even not beginner already) programmers create websites with some input forms, they usually never think about security here.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
rweaver

Distribution: Debian, CentOS, Slackware, RHEL, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 167Reputation: 167
Really good article, I hope a lot of people read and follow it. The number one problem I see with php apps that get exploited is lack of sanitized inputs for databases (injection). The only thing that scares me more than unsanitized database inputs are unsanitized inputs used in system calls... someone killing the database or injecting things you don't want is bad news, someone wiping out or root kiting your server out is worse news.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Web31337

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 65
Oh yes, shell commands injection is the worst. I forgot to add it.
I've seen much of those vulnerabilities, but it actually points more to PHP security itself(configuring PHP), rather than coding. Of course, it's the same rule again: don't trust user inputs. But here you gotta be more restrictive, in case you allow shell_exec(), etc, you shall not pass anything taken from user input to shell at all, until you know what are you doing.
I have it disabled everywhere and I suggest everyone do the same, disable all dangerous functions of PHP. If you need shell to act in your applications, use either standalone daemon or cron, that will verify and execute pending tasks from a shared file. Be sure to apply this rule "don't trust user inputs" everywhere.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
jcelle
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2
Really good article indeed.
For those that want to go even deeper into this subject, I suggest you get a look at OWASP (http://www.owasp.org/). Even though it is not specially for PHP, it gives good examples of what to do and what to avoid and an excellent framework for developing secure applications.
And again, DON'T TRUST USER INPUT !