LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Alexvader

Distribution: Arch, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 94
Should Linux users use Wine...?

Hi forum

The question ( should I better call it "issue" ?! ) I am bringing up here is controversy, to say the very least... It is not my intention to start a flame war... just to grasp what is the feeling in the community of Linux users... :-)

I advocate that no Linux user should EVER use wine ( or any kind of emulation whatsoever ) to run any commercial application in Linux.

My point is that, Given that a software company did not care for the Linux users, one should NOT pay for a lincence ( and use its application ) to run a windows binary under emulation. NOT EVER... it is a matter of, call it, "Intellectual Honesty" from our side as consumers of software products...

The "funny" couter effect, is that, more Linux users do that, more the software companies feel encouraged to discontinue the support for Linux Distributions... Just because some "wine geek" found a way to run <whatsoever TM> under wine in <Whatever Distro>....and posted it in WineHQ user forums...

FYI : In the seventies/Eighties, most CAD/FEA/CFD packages ( highly specialized engineering applications ) were run in Unix, in fact, the very first release of AutoCAD was for UNIX...

...Wild Evil Billy Boy appeared, and with him M$#S/!, and bought everything, bribed everybody, used highly questionable anti-market policies, dumped other ppls corporations and in the end,... what happened to Lotus, and Borland... ?

As of Today, ther is NO COMMERCIAL CAD SUPPORTED ON LINUX ARCHITECTURE... none.... no Dassault/Catia, no ProEngineer, no Bentley Microstation.... zilch...

As for FEA applications, ANSYS Inc is planning to stop supporting Linux...

What's next...? Fluent Inc. , Adina Co. , .... ? all because ppl keep paying those bastards the license fees, after running them under Wine, despite the fact that they NEVER CARED FOR THE NEED OF THE FINAL USER ...

This is Dishonorable...

It may be a radical standpoint, what I am defending...
But this is what I believe to be logical....

What do you think of this...?

BRGDS

Alex

"Katsumoto no longer dishonors himself by using firearms, you see..."

Graham to Cpt Algren, in "The Last Samurai"

Last edited by Alexvader; 12-04-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
bret381

Distribution: Arch x86_64

Rep: Reputation: 79
I agree with your logic..... however, some OSS just doesnt have the features of commercial apps. ie photoshop. Gimp is great, but...
it aint photoshop... Currently, this is the only software I run on wine. I bow my head in disappointment with myself and kick myself in the butt I do want to get away from ALL commerical apps. Right now, I do rely on photoshop.

It would be nice if adobe offered their products to linux users!!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
mostlyharmless

Distribution: Arch/Manjaro, might try Slackware again

Rep: Reputation: 284Reputation: 284Reputation: 284
Agree wholeheartedly, but need to eat, so some WINE or Windows use is unfortunately necessary... guess that means intellectual honesty isn't my highest priority.

BTW, nice sig, but I think I'd probably dishonor myself with firearms...

Last edited by mostlyharmless; 12-04-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Alexvader

Original Poster
Hi MostlyHarmless

I understand your point of view...

BTW It was not a sig... :-) It was a quote from a movie to stress that when ppl fight for what they believe, they get stronger, regardlessly of what the oucome may be... :-)

BRGDS

Alex

Old 12-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
MTK358
LQ 5k Club

Rep: Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723
I think it is best to use Linux native software whenever possible, but I don't see that you have any choice if the program exists only for Windows.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Alexvader

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
...but I don't see that you have any choice if the program exists only for Windows
Agreed... but as a side effect, if less Linux users would use win apps, the "greed" for a bigger market share would force software providers to release Linux versions... :-)

BRGDS

Alex

Old 12-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
the trooper

Distribution: Debian Bullseye

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
My point is that, Given that a software company did not care for the Linux users, one should NOT pay for a lincence ( and use its application )
What licence are you referring to here?.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Alexvader

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by the trooper View Post
What licence are you referring to here?.
Hi

I am refering to the license to use Bentley Microstation CAD application in a Design Office in , say Toyota Motor Corporation, for instance...

wether I use it under windows, or under wine emulation in Linux, I have to pay for its commercial use...

And in Design dpt of Toyota Motor Corporation, the only possible use for Bentley Microstation is "commercial" use... i.e. : use with the goal of profit, as a work tool.

Academic or University licenses are different of course... sometimes they are called "Evaluation Licenses", pertaining to feature and/or time limited versions ot the software, given that the mission of Academia, or University cannot be deemed as "profit"....

BRGDS

Alex

Old 12-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Quakeboy02

Distribution: Debian Linux 11 (Bullseye)

Rep: Reputation: 141Reputation: 141
This probably belongs in "non-*nix General" unless you have a particular Linux related question.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
MTK358
LQ 5k Club

Rep: Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexvader View Post
Agreed... but as a side effect, if less Linux users would use win apps, the "greed" for a bigger market share would force software providers to release Linux versions... :-)

BRGDS

Alex
But in a situation where there is no Linux program anything like it, and you really, really need such a program, I still don't see a choice (maybe except programming it yourself).

Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Alexvader

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakeboy02 View Post
This probably belongs in "non-*nix General" unless you have a particular Linux related question.
Hi Quakeboy02

I dare to disagree...

This was posted in "Linux Software", and pretends to pertain to the choices that Linux users have, when trying to run a particular piece of Software...

... to the consequences that using wine have in the availability of Linux targeted versions of pieces of software...

BRGDS

Alex

Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
the trooper

Distribution: Debian Bullseye

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
I am refering to the license to use Bentley Microstation CAD application in a Design Office in , say Toyota Motor Corporation, for instance...
So to my mind,that's nothing to do with Wine.
Personally i agree with your point of view,a native Linux application is the way to go.
However if the the only option is use Wine or boot Windows i'd rather use Wine.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
cantab

Distribution: Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Debian, Proxmox.

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
Quote:
I advocate that no Linux user should EVER use wine ( or any kind of emulation whatsoever ) to run any commercial application in Linux.
But what is the alternative? To not use the application is not always possible; there may BE no Free option, and even if there is the user may have become locked in to the commercial software.

That leaves two options: run the application under Wine, or run it under Windows. (Big businesses may have others, such as paying the software vendor to do a Linux port, or even outright taking over the software vendor. But for most people and enterprises that's not financially possible.)

To suggest that users should eschew Wine is thus throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
pixellany
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
I'm not about to read all of this------just one basic observation:

Computers exist mainly to help people get work done. Each user makes choices in the hardware and software configuration that best meets their needs. It makes no sense to try to tell users of a particular OS that they **should** be using--or not using--some particular application. If you have some ideological principles, then by all means act on them. But do not attempt to impose your personal sense of right and wrong on other people.

One of my great life lessons was from a cartoon captioned: "Never try to teach a pig to sing---it wastes your time, and annoys the pig." Let your imagination wander as to what the picture was.....

My personal decision some 5 years ago was to never put my personal money into any Microsoft Product. However, I am a regular user of WINE and CrossOver and run MANY things---including (ugh) Office 2007.

I will continue to use whatever SW is required to get my work done......Sorry.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
Quakeboy02

Distribution: Debian Linux 11 (Bullseye)

Rep: Reputation: 141Reputation: 141
Quote:
Hi Quakeboy02

I dare to disagree...
Alex
Alex,

You're free to disagree, of course. But, the technical forums are for people to ask questions related to problems they have with some part of running Linux. Your post is simply a political rant. There is no question - no underlying technical problem to solve. Rants belong in the non-*nix General forum where controversy is somewhat the norm, and you don't get points for your posts.