LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
neerajms
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Utorrent:Downloading rate fluctuates please help me

Dear members,

I am using Fedora core 10,installed wine for using utorrent. Till Couple of days ago i am happy with utorrent as it given continuously 200 kb/s which same as i used to have winods xp.

But two days ago utorrent download rate started fluctuating. When i starts it slowly increased to 200 kb/s then continued several minutues after it droped Zero stage then again after half an hour again started to go maximum 200 kb then after few minutes it again droped to zero. there is no problem for browsing even utorrent goes to zero mode. please help me.

Thanking you,
Neeraj M S

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970Reputation: 7970
Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajms View Post
Dear members,

I am using Fedora core 10,installed wine for using utorrent. Till Couple of days ago i am happy with utorrent as it given continuously 200 kb/s which same as i used to have winods xp.

But two days ago utorrent download rate started fluctuating. When i starts it slowly increased to 200 kb/s then continued several minutues after it droped Zero stage then again after half an hour again started to go maximum 200 kb then after few minutes it again droped to zero. there is no problem for browsing even utorrent goes to zero mode. please help me.

Thanking you,
Neeraj M S
There are numerous Bittorrent clients for Linux, which don't require Wine. Don't know why you'd use Wine to run something which has several native equivalents in Linux....

Also, depending on what you're downloading, speed will vary. Also, if your upstream provider is having a problem, that may effect you too. There are many variables to cause a fluctuating speed.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
ErV

Distribution: Slackware 12.2

Rep: Reputation: 62
Quote:
Tracker could go offline, there might be not enough seeds, or file isn't fully available. Situation like you described normally happens when there are, say, two thousand peers which have 80% of file and one seed which has 100% and 1kbps upload. Before you reach 80%, you'll get good download speed. But once you reach level of 80%, speed will drop to zero, and it won't go up until a lot of people will get 100% of file.

If this isn't the case, then check your configuration, port forwarding (if needed), firewall, and make sure that your ISP doesn't do some funny things with bittorrent traffic. If problem is with ISP, you could try encrypting bittorrent traffic (available in uTorrent options somewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
There are numerous Bittorrent clients for Linux, which don't require Wine. Don't know why you'd use Wine to run something which has several native equivalents in Linux....
This really has nothing to do with the question. I'm also using uTorrent, and I wouldn't bother trying many other clients when this one just works (I already tried other cleints in the past and I wouldn't do it again. To many clients, too many followers of some bittorrent client, and too many unfinished clients with all kinds of bugs and problems. DIdn't find exact replacement).
Because uTorrent isn't linux native, this doesn't mean people shouldn't use it.

Last edited by ErV; 02-02-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
neerajms
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErV View Post
Tracker could go offline, there might be not enough seeds, or file isn't fully available. Situation like you described normally happens when there are, say, two thousand peers which have 80% of file and one seed which has 100% and 1kbps upload. Before you reach 80%, you'll get good download speed. But once you reach level of 80%, speed will drop to zero, and it won't go up until a lot of people will get 100% of file.

If this isn't the case, then check your configuration, port forwarding (if needed), firewall, and make sure that your ISP doesn't do some funny things with bittorrent traffic. If problem is with ISP, you could try encrypting bittorrent traffic (available in uTorrent options somewhere)

This really has nothing to do with the question. I'm also using uTorrent, and I wouldn't bother trying many other clients when this one just works (I already tried other cleints in the past and I wouldn't do it again. To many clients, too many followers of some bittorrent client, and too many unfinished clients with all kinds of bugs and problems. DIdn't find exact replacement).
Because uTorrent isn't linux native, this doesn't mean people shouldn't use it.
I am downloading 5 torrents same time, has good seed at least 25. All downloading speed goes to zero means some thing i think so, My firewall is disabled,encrypting utorrent traffic is enebled but no use.

I have no clear idea about checking configuration,port forwarding, ISP do funny things,can you clear that.

I had checked ktorrent but performance is less compared to utorrent. Do you know any other good softwares like utorrent. Is there any difference between utorrent and bittorrent (both looks same).

Last edited by neerajms; 02-03-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
ErV

Quote:
I am downloading 5 torrents same time, has good seed at least 25.
That is not much. YIn general, no matter how many seeds are there, you can still get slow download if there are too many other peers (few times more than seeds), or if those people have limited bandwidth and seed many other files which are in demand right now. You could complain about speed if you had 200 seeds that have no other files and no other peers.

Quote:
can you clear that.
If you are downloading from private tracker, it probably have documentation explaining common problems and bittorrent configuration.
You should check this documentation, because your connection+hardware most likely are different from mine.
If you aren't downloading from private tracker, then you will have to do some google searching, because all I know about bittorrent was taken from non-english sources, so I can't give you link to a good manual to read.

To verify if problem is with Linux configuration, you could try to run uTorrent in WinXP and Fedora and compare speed. If speed clearly differs, the problem might be in your system configuration. If speed doesn't change, problem is external. Also try to remember if you did something before speed started dropping.

Quote:
I have no clear idea about checking configuration,
In uTorrent menu you can try:
Options->Speed Guide
or
go to Options->Preferences->Connection and Options->Preferences->Bandwidth and check that there are no strange limitation in Global download speed, peers per torrent, etc.

Quote:
port forwarding,
Applies only if you are behind router/firewall.
In Options->Connection->"Port used for incoming connections" you have port number. That port should be visible from outside, i.e. if you behind the router/firewall, it should be forwarded or incoming connections to it should be allowed. In general, icon in uTorrent's status bar should be green, and this tool should report that this port is available when uTorrent is running. The port is important because two "firewalled" clients can't connect to each other, so you might lose seeds/peers. You will be able to download with "firewalled" port, but you might get less seeds/peers.

Quote:
ISP do funny things,
Some ISPs throttle bittorrent traffic (i.e. they slow it down), because they claim that it "harms their services" or something (bad argument actually, especially for "all bandwidth+speed you can get" connection).
This problem is not common for my area, so I can't help you much, but you can take a look at this:
http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs
and do some google search for "bittorrent throttle"

Quote:
I had checked ktorrent but performance is less compared to utorrent. Do you know any other good softwares like utorrent. Is there any difference between utorrent and bittorrent (both looks same).
Linux bittorrent clients: Azeurus (eats a lot of RAM), KTorrent, Bittorrent, mldonkey, rtorrent, qtorrent, deluge and probably others. you could try them.

I've been searching for "linux native" client 1 year ago (so situation could change right now), didn't find anything useful. The best thing was "mldonkey" (gread to run on standalone machine without desktop), but I run into some problems (it didn't honor system locale and wrote some filenames in UTF8 anyway), and was unable to solve them because project was nearly dead/nearly abandoned (little number of posters in help forums, slow development, etc. Plus the thing was written in OCaml, so I couldn't easily fix it myself). Ktorrent at that time looked like a bad uTorrent parody and had bugs with files larger than 4 gigabytes. After all I decided to use software that works right now instead of searching for replacement that doesn't.

P.S> This should be enough info to get started, I probably won't be able to help with anything else.

Last edited by ErV; 02-03-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
raymor

Rep: Reputation: 20
Some ISPs partially block bittorrent in such a way as to
cause the types of symptoms you're talking about. They claim
that they don't block it because it does actually function,
but when pressed they admit that they "control" it, which means
they make it a pain to use.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
ErV

If the problem is with ISP, then try following (found using "bittorrent throttling bypass" google search):
Quote:
1. Go to: Options > Preferences > BitTorrent

2. Go to ‘Protocol encryption’, you can choose between ‘enabled’ and ‘forced’. ‘Enabled’ will give you more connections but offers less protection against traffic shapers.

I would recommend to try ‘enabled’ first, if that doesn’t increase your speeds you need to swich to ‘forced’.

3. Ticking ‘Allow legacy incoming connections’ allows non ecrypted clients to connect to you. This improves compatibility between clients but makes you more vulnerable to traffic shapers.

I would recommend to tick this box, but if that doesn’t increase your speeds, untick it!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
dwpbike

Distribution: downgraded from rh9 to fc8

Rep: Reputation: 16
look in system monitor at network history while downloading. if isp is throttling you, network history will look like a crosscut saw. isp is sending reset (rst) packets when they detect p2p traffic pattern.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
neerajms
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I installed Azures, it given same problem today but better than utorrent. When i used utorrent only able to download 100mb, but Azures given nearly 700mb within 3-hours. I checked utorrent and azures using same time, when the drop in download comes both gone to zero value.

is there any way to solve this problem ? please clear in simple way as i am beginner.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
Borax_Man

Rep: Reputation: 16
Azureus works well.

But fluctuating torrent speeds and part and parcel of Bit Torrent. Check your ports are open and you're uploading too. I have a 512Kb/s connection, and it's very rarely maxed out with Bit Torrent.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #11
neerajms
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Finally i solved but a new problem rose

I updated system using yum update and used network manager to connect broadband, it solved fluctuation, i can get 200kb continusly. I also found Vuze (Azures) is best one if u face fluctuate or bad isp problem.

new problem is i cannot connect network easily.