LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
paciffier
LQ Newbie

Distribution: fedora 27

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hello everyone!!

Hey all,

Im a newbie linux user, but i downloaded fedora and for now it seems i love it =)
but i need some help trying to figure out how it works and what can be done with it.
knowledge is everything i want and the most info i can retain the better.
Im trying linux now cause im sick of windows broke all time, need to pay for everything i want to be in a good use, and that kind of stuff.

cumps,

Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
monsm

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 37
Welcome to Linux and LQ!
Linux can do anything :-)
Free games (better and better quality by the day), free office software and browsers and no viruses. Just to name a tiny bit.

I guess your fedora installation (latest Fedora 9?) comes with the Gnome graphical environment? Get used to that first, then you will be able to learn about the command line (terminal) as you go. Many ex-windows users are slightly scared of the command line. Don't be. Many things are easier and quicker on the command line in Linux than they are in a GUI on windows.

Just post back here if you have any concrete questions.

Mons

Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
phantom_cyph

Distribution: Slackware & Derivatives

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
Welcome to LQ!

monsm is certainly right about Linux being able to do anything. At first, people tend to feel restricted by Linux and its apparent "lack of software and support". Thats because people are used to going to the microsoft home page and downloading whatever they want. If you use Ubuntu and have all the right repositories, you have access to over 200,000 programs.

Think of Linux as the Force in Star Wars and you'll do fine. The more you know, the stronger you are. No one knows everything about Linux, but there are some "Linux masters". Find some lists of basic bash commands and start trying to figure out how to get around your system with the command line. Stay away from running or using the root account unless you are using something like Synaptic or KPackage that installs software or another LQ member tells you to do so. You can seriously screw things up if you don't know what you are doing. That note aside, many people don't know what files initially they would have to delete to ruin anything. So you'll be fine.

Good luck!

(PS-If you want to make a post asking people about what the best Linux distribution is: don't. Just read the very long threads around here already. And check out www.distrowatch.com)

Old 11-13-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
paciffier
LQ Newbie

Distribution: fedora 27

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you!!

I appreciate u guys for welcome me in this great community.
1 of the things i like most on this s.o. is the friendly comunity.
Yesterday i tried to install flashplayer to watch some youtube videos and i can say sincerly it was a pain in the ass but after 1h or such of research i figure it out how its installed and i must say i was impressioned with the fair superior quality of the videos.
and the streamming was so fast i thought i was dreaming hehe =)

anyway what i wanted to say and why i made this post was to thank you for the welcomes and appreciate the support shown so far.

many thanks!!
PS - Sorry for bad english =)

- Paciffier -

Last edited by paciffier; 11-13-2008 at 03:12 AM.