LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
jamwaffles

Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid

Rep: Reputation: 19
Unhappy ndiswrapper doesnt like my kernel version

hi.

i am running ubuntu studio 7.10, and ndiswrapper will not work with the kernel. it will work with 64 studio 2 (an older kernel), but refuses to work with UbuStu. it make uninstalls fine but make complains it cant find the kernel version in [some file i cant remeber, sorry].

james

ps thanks in advance

Last edited by jamwaffles; 03-16-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
JoeyAdams

Distribution: Kubuntu Hardy

Rep: Reputation: 15
Have you tried installing it from the repository? (You may need to enable multiverse) If that doesn't work, compiling should work (in which case you'll need to download the kernel source to /usr/src/linux [I think that's how it works]).

Old 03-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
jamwaffles

Original Poster
the problem is my wifi is my only internet connection - i currently have to download everything from windows dual booted. i spose i could download off the ubuntu website the debs amd dependencies, although the last time i used the repo ndiswrapper, it gave me errors. anyways, thanks for the help!

james

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
JoeyAdams

Distribution: Kubuntu Hardy

Rep: Reputation: 15
Did you get dependency errors (i.e. while installing), or did ndiswrapper have errors after successful installation?

If errors were during the install, you need to look at the named dependencies, then go to Windows and download those, then come back. If that still doesn't work, repeat. Having working Internet is worth it

If it errored in your attempt to use ndiswrapper, you may have to build it manually from source, which requires the Linux headers package (not exactly sure which one to use, could some else tell us what package is the kernel headers?).

Last edited by JoeyAdams; 03-17-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
melbob
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 1
For some background information, this article in LWN might be of interest.

http://lwn.net/Articles/271240/

Scroll down the page to "NDISwrapper dodges another bullet"

Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
jamwaffles

Original Poster
Angry ndiswrapper will not compile, still

i have installed ndiswrapper from ubuntu debs from the windows internet and it appeared to work until i used the -mi prefix. it said it couldnt add it to modules.list or something i think, and modprobe ndiswrapper didnt work either