LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
snama

Distribution: Debian 5 i386

Rep: Reputation: 15
When did the world balance rub? Was it the greediness that caused it?

The inbalance to day is a fact. Big companies from rich countries use and control the poor and small countries. Big weapon manufacturers hungry for war. Pointless wars. People suffering. People choosing their leader blindly. Are we living in a world where global peace is an impossibility?

Where do you think is the real problem?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
masonm

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 90
Please tell me when, in any point in history, there was world peace. I can't seem to find one. You can blame big companies, wealthy countries, or the Easter Bunny, but it doesn't change the fact that mankind has been making war and committing violence for as long as mankind has existed.

Judging from a strictly historical perspective that is the natural world balance and always has been. When exactly do you think it changed? It's always been that way.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
taylor_venable

Distribution: OpenBSD, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 43
Greediness seems like a good possibility. Feudal lords were greedy for power. Textile mill owners were greedy for money. Why does one person oppress another? Fear often plays in there as well, this is where racism (African Americans) and demonization (people of middle-eastern descent) come into play. This is the way things have been since we started forming societies. The ancient Greeks demonized the Persians, representing them in lore as the Amazons. But "the life of man in nature is nasty, brutish, and short" so societies we form, even though we know that someone is going to oppress us.

If there is such a thing as communism and egalitarianism, I think Marx is right in that we have to evolve there naturally. Attempts to bring us there otherwise have always failed, and always result in the same old, same old: the manipulator and the subservient.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
snama

Distribution: Debian 5 i386

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
yes its true that there have never really been a world peace, should have thought of that. but there is a factor too that is the ground for conflicts, its fear. like racism is often related with fear so we have one more factor to start a violent conflict. greedyness for what you might conquer, and dislike of who you are attacking (which is not always racism, but sometimes yes). but the thing is really if there is a bright future or not? another enlightment maybe? its a huge difference when looking at the social level today compared to long time ago, multimedia, freedom of speech, internet (very huge), TV, education. are these things the fundament for possible world peace?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Crito

Distribution: Kubuntu 9.04

Rep: Reputation: 53
Free market competition *should* resolve any inequality. The problem is the entire system is corrupt. The point of diminishing returns has become the point of political pay-off. Barriers and disincentives to fair competition are what drive corporate profits these days. The only way the small guy has a chance is by colluding with the big boys. And what you finally end up with are huge bureaucracies full of ex-politicians in cushy do-nothing jobs.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
masonm

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by snama
yes its true that there have never really been a world peace, should have thought of that. but there is a factor too that is the ground for conflicts, its fear. like racism is often related with fear so we have one more factor to start a violent conflict. greedyness for what you might conquer, and dislike of who you are attacking (which is not always racism, but sometimes yes). but the thing is really if there is a bright future or not? another enlightment maybe? its a huge difference when looking at the social level today compared to long time ago, multimedia, freedom of speech, internet (very huge), TV, education. are these things the fundament for possible world peace?
Yes we have some pretty great technology these days, but people themselves are basically the same as they were when the barbarians sacked Rome. Social evolution can't really happen in the way you seem to envision as long as there are loons out there looking to kill as many people as they can get away with in the names of politics, power, religion, money, or just plain insanity.

The only thing that has changed is that we have developed much more effective ways of killing each other. Human beings are and always have been the most violently aggressive creatures on the planet. It's in our nature.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
alred

Distribution: puppy and Ubuntu and ... erh ... redhat(sort of) :( ... + the venerable bsd and solaris ^_^

Rep: Reputation: 31
i didnt know that this is a "political" thread ...

as long as there are daily saying of "lets us forget about what happenned before today and lets start all over again ..." , there wont be peace in any sense ...

truer peace(read not exactly true) can only be achieved when lands and human grouping are in somewhat semi-secluded(though not necessarily technologically impaired) states of well-being ...

//which means lets us make traveling difficult for those who need it and impossible(almost probably) for those who dont actually need it ...

[EDIT ::] to think about it a bit further ... i think scientists , engineers and medicine men(not including specimens collectors) are the only one who should be allowed to travel far enough(though not too far) ...

Last edited by alred; 04-22-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
brianL
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware64 15; SlackwareARM-current (aarch64); Debian 12

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
There will always be those who want to dominate, those who think they're superior, those who think their ideas are the only truth, those who believe their religion gives them the right to kill. It's human nature. We're stuck with it.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
hacker supreme

Distribution: Gentoo

And anyway.
Have you thought about what happens if you (try to) make all people equal?

1. there is no way you are ever going to make all people equal. Soviet Russia tried, and failed. (There are always those who are going to be 'more equal' than others.)

2. If everybody is equal and has no need for competition to better the next person, do we lose all our ambition, our drive to succeed? Think about that one for a minute.

While I agree that world peace would be a nice idea, I disagree with the idea that it's gonna happen tomorrow, not everyone is going to suddenly get up in the morning and think "I'm going to be peaceful and never hurt anyone ever again" and then actually do that. No armies are just going to lay down their guns, bombs and knives and stop fighting, just like that.

Something terrible would have to happen that would put everyone 'in the same boat' as it were.

Watch some good disaster movies sometime. 'Day after tomorrow' for example. It's amazing how something tragic brings people together.

//I watch too many disaster movies for my own good.

//If you have absolutely no idea what I'm going on about, know this. I'm tired, angry, depressed and just rambling. And now, I'm gonna ramble outta here...

Old 04-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
alred

Distribution: puppy and Ubuntu and ... erh ... redhat(sort of) :( ... + the venerable bsd and solaris ^_^

guess that i will be more passionate than you ... i prefer to watch the movie antz ... ^_^

as for your trauma ... apart from those honest minds that are allowed to travel out ... we have just permitted the inclusion of local singing bards ... at least when people are not actually seeing honest people for years(some for generations i'm afraid) , there is still such a thing as hope(but minus everything else though) ...

//ok , a bit mushy ...

//lets see ... my desktop is a bit too small for collaged drawing papers ... anyway ...

Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
truthfatal

Distribution: Raspbian, Debian, Slackware, OS X

Rep: Reputation: 32
Damn that Easter Bunny!

Quote:
Are we living in a world where global peace is an impossibility?
I think not... It probably begin shortly after we Humans manage to exterminate ourselves (Or maybe the Vogons will turn up after all ). I think conflict is a big part of why we don't have peace... that may seem painfully obvious, because it is. My current opinion is that things like "**** ******" and "********," "**********" and "*********" are just side effects of our natural craving of chaos and conflict.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #12
brianL
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware64 15; SlackwareARM-current (aarch64); Debian 12

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Still, don't let it get you down...Altogether now, after three...One...Two...Three.
"Always look on the bright side of life.
de-dum de-dum de-deedle-eedle dum!"

Last edited by brianL; 04-23-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
alred

>> ""Always look on the bright side of life."

but we may have problems with the germans ... ^_^

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
thorn168

Distribution: Vector Linux 5.1 Std., Vector Linux 5.8 Std., Win2k, XP, OS X (10.4 & 10.5)

Rep: Reputation: 42
War and the reasons for war are the only things keeping human populations in check. With the world's population at 6 billion and growing there is a desparate need for a significant reduction in the world's total population because there simply is not enough resources to go around. So War and Disease and Governments who conspire against the very people they govern are what is needed to address the crises in overpopulation. Because if we do not, then we will all end up like yeast in a bottle of wine, out of food and drowning in our own in waste. (BTW we really are all in the same boat, Planet Earth.)

The only alternative to this messy culling is to create a world wide lottery, where the winners live and the losers die, although given the level of corruption worldwide this would probably be impossible to achieve.

So there you have it Kirkagaard, we're damned if do and damned if we don't.

So essentially (and Existentially) we are all involved in a "lifeboat" scenario where there are too many survivors and not enough food and water to go around.

Life is cruel and brutal sometimes and that is just the way it is.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
seelenbild28

Distribution: SuSE Linux 9.1/9.2/9.3/10.0/10.1, openSuSE 10.2, 10.3, Slackware, Debian, Redhat, BSD

Rep: Reputation: 30
if humans and money is involved, peace everywhere will never be reached... sorry for the pessimism, but this is reality...

the discussion is for sure very important, but this forum is called "linuxquestions". please go to "www.socialcriticism.com" or "www.whytheeasterbunnythrowsbombs.us" if it exists.... ---> could a moderator close this unsuitable topic?

Last edited by seelenbild28; 04-23-2007 at 05:40 PM.