LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
aquaboot

Distribution: debain freebsd

Rep: Reputation: 31
Need to nuke my drive!!! Bomb anyone?

Hello,

I have 3 cpus with hard drives that I need to wipe clean- no reinstalls. What I want, is a floppy or cd that I can boot into and that has a utility that will format the drives in say, fat32 or ext3. Second thought, I don't even need a file system installed, just all data wiped CLEAN. Can anyone suggest a way to do this tidy on one disk? I don't have any utilities with me (ubuntu install cd or winxp disk), so I will have to be able to download the tools from the Net.

Many Thanks,

ab

Old 03-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
pljvaldez
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)

Rep: Reputation: 281Reputation: 281Reputation: 281
Download Knoppix Live CD.

At the boot: prompt, type knoppix 1 (this will load you to single user mode -- console only, no gui). Then type fdisk -l (that's L) to see what the drive is named that you want to secure delete.

Then type shred -v -z -n 10 /dev/hda. Of course, change /dev/hda to whatever your disk is called. This will secure wipe your disk. The -v means verbose. -z means finish with an additional write of the entire disk with 0's (i.e. it will look like a brand spanking new drive). The -n 10 will wipe your disk 10 times before the zero wipe. If you leave off -n 10, it will default to 25 times, which is a bit overkill.

The shred utility is great for securely deleting everything from the disk. It's US Department of Defense quality, used for wiping computer disks.

Last edited by pljvaldez; 03-30-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
aquaboot

Original Poster
thanks for the reply. I'll have to download and the burn the knoppix live cd using a winxp machine. Is this an iso? If it is, I'll have problems burning it.

Thanks Again,

ab

Old 03-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
pljvaldez
LQ Guru

Yes it's an iso, but why will you have problems burning it? You can download CDBurnerXP Pro or ISO Recorder v2 for free and burn iso's from Windows.

Also, if your Ubuntu disk is also a live CD, it might have shred on it. Just boot it up into Live mode and then do which shred.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
phantom_cyph

Distribution: Slackware & Derivatives

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
pljvaldez, thanks for posting that, I have been looking for that as well.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
aquaboot

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on ISORecorder. Unfortunately It'll take quite awhile to download the Knoppix live cd, even via dsl (at work and need to do this soon). Is there anything bare bones that would be a quicker download?

Thanks Again,

ab

Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
2damncommon

Distribution: PCLINUXOS

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
http://www.dban.org/

Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
aquaboot

Original Poster
Hi,

I actually just found this: "Derik's Boot and Nuke" (http://dban.sourceforge.net/). Claims to be DOD quality.

-ab

Old 03-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
phantom_cyph

I just tried the Knoppix thing. Unfortunately, I had a problem. I typed knoppix1 at the boot screen, but it said that it couldn't find a boot kernel called knoppix1. Then I tried fdisk-l, and got the same message (except it said there was no boot kernel called fdisk). What is wrong? Should I try in a terminal? And what is the password for the live knoppix root terminal?

Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
osor
HCL Maintainer

Distribution: (H)LFS, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaboot
Is this an iso? If it is, I'll have problems burning it.
Yes, but I’m sure there are several floppy linux-based rescue disks which contain the shred utility (somewhere on the net).

Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
osor
HCL Maintainer

Distribution: (H)LFS, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabanta
I just tried the Knoppix thing. Unfortunately, I had a problem. I typed knoppix1 at the boot screen, but it said that it couldn't find a boot kernel called knoppix1. Then I tried fdisk-l, and got the same message (except it said there was no boot kernel called fdisk). What is wrong? Should I try in a terminal? And what is the password for the live knoppix root terminal?
Just press enter at the boot prompt (alternatively, type “knoppix”). IIRC, there is no password (use sudo). If you want to boot straight to a root shell, type “knoppix 3” at the boot prompt (3 for third runlevel).

Old 03-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
pljvaldez
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabanta
You forgot to put a space between "knoppix" and "1" and also between "fdisk" and "-l"...

BTW, shred used to also be used for shredding individual files within a running OS, but don't use it that way any more. Most filesystems now have journals and by shredding a file, you're just shredding the journal entry, not the actual file area on the disk.

Last edited by pljvaldez; 03-30-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
phantom_cyph

Is it possible to do this to a USB drive? Or does it work differently?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
inspiron_Droid

Distribution: Debian (Wheeze)

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaboot
Thanks for the tip on ISORecorder. Unfortunately It'll take quite awhile to download the Knoppix live cd, even via dsl (at work and need to do this soon). Is there anything bare bones that would be a quicker download?

Thanks Again,

ab
You could hop on over to madtux or OSdisc and purchase a bootible cd at a reasonable price.

Last edited by inspiron_Droid; 05-03-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
IndyGunFreak

Distribution: Laptops: Debian Jessie XFCE, NAS: OpenMediaVault 3.0

Rep: Reputation: 70
Doesn't make sense to me to download an entire OS just to format a hard drive, thats a big download.

I'd recommend the Gparted Live CD. Takes about 10min to download and burn. Boot it, and format in almost any file extension imaginable.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 05-03-2007 at 06:44 PM.