LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
2Gnu

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 51
Driver-less Wireless Under Linux

A challenge often faced by new Linux users is getting a wireless connection going.

The paradox when wireless is the only option is that in order to accomplish the required steps – download drivers or install firmware, for example – you have to have a working connection. Frequently heard: “How can I download foo without a connection?” As a work-around, many are forced to run unsightly wires across the floor (incurring spousal wrath) or download things under Windows, copying down error messages as they flip back and forth between connected and unconnected environments.

One alternative option is to use a wireless Ethernet adapter, or “bridge.” A bridge is a specialized device designed to act as a client to a wireless network, effectively extending the network to a LAN.

Upsides: Connection to the bridge and management of it is done through via Ethernet. The only driver needed is the one for your wired NIC. Ethernet cable length can be up to 100m, so you can move the bridge to a convenient location or position it for better reception. Some high-power bridges are available for extra distance or clarity in a noisy environment.

Downsides: Cost - A dedicated wireless Ethernet adapter can cost well over $100 US. Portability – You probably don't want an electronic anchor attached to your laptop everywhere you go.

Good news: certain wireless routers (often well under $50 US) can be configured to work in client or bridge mode. Many Linksys routers, with third-party firmware, some Buffalo routers and ZyXEL's P330W will work this way. You not only have an inexpensive, driver-less wireless device, you have four wired LAN ports available for additional connections.

A bridge is still not very portable, and it's not the best solution for all situations, but it's one of the often-overlooked choices. For discussion about devices including Ethernet adapters, the basic steps of wireless networking under Linux and some links to resources, here's a link to the presentation I recently delivered at the Southern California Linux Expo. Some may find it or the notes helpful.
http://socallinuxexpo.com/scale5x/presentations/rex.odp
(OpenOffice format)

Mods, if it's deemed worthy, can we please sticky this?

Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Brian1
LQ Guru

Distribution: Distribution: RHEL 5 with Pieces of this and that. Kernel 2.6.23.1, KDE 3.5.8 and KDE 4.0 beta, Plu

Rep: Reputation: 65
Very good post. I myself have mention this and have done this many times before especially when it comes to setting up WPA. Setup on the bridge no requirements on the linux install.

Brian

Old 03-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Quote:
Mods, if it's deemed worthy, can we please sticky this?
I definitely vote to sticky this. A nice piece. Maybe if we can't get it stickied, you can put it in the tutorials and/or wiki?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
SactoBob

Distribution: Ubuntu 6.10

Rep: Reputation: 15
Since manufacturers' support for Linux drivers is spotty, with some not cooperating at all, using wireless under Linux can be challenging. Some wireless cards, such as Atheros with madwifi, work well with native drivers. Others cards may work well with ndiswrapper while a number of cards are simply unsupported.

A wireless bridge is a versatile and often overlooked solution to wireless headaches. A bridge is a free standing unit with its own operating system and power supply. You configure it with your browser. It connects independently to your wireless LAN and supplies a wired connection to your “bridged” computer(s). Some wireless routers can operate in bridge mode. Bridges offer advantages and disadvantages over wireless cards.

Advantages

- Simplicity: Since the wireless connection is handled entirely by the bridge, you don't need any wireless drivers. Connected computers see the bridge as a wired connection.

- Location: The bridge can be located up to 100m away for convenience or reception. It can be moved or transported and connected to another computer.

- Connectivity: Bridges can provide multiple wired Ethernet ports for other computers.

- Performance: High power units function well in challenging reception environments.

- Flexibility: The wireless connection is independent of the OS to which it is connected, and is unaffected by changes or upgrades to the OS.

Disadvantages

- Cost: High performance dedicated bridges cost over $100. However, less expensive routers, such as ZyXEL's P330W, Buffalo (some, e.g. Wireless Ethernet Converter), and Linksys (some with third-party firmware) can operate in Bridge Mode.

- Bulk: The unit requires its own power supply and has its own footprint, which can be as large as a typical router.

- Energy consumption: Up to 400 mw for higher performance units.

For a good review of Linux wireless options, See http://socallinuxexpo.com/scale5x/presentations/rex.odp (Open Office format).

To view the specs, manual, etc. of a typical high performance router, see
http://www.netgate.com/product_info....roducts_id=361

To see a bridge configuration for the ZyXEL, see http://gadgetaddict.wordpress.com/20...reless-bridge/

Last edited by SactoBob; 03-16-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
2Gnu

Original Poster
Thanks for the re-write. I like it and it flows better than mine.

My only quibble, and it's just that, is this premise: "Since wireless manufacturers neither support Linux, nor reveal specs, ..."

Some manufacturers support the driver effort. Some even help. The Ralink, MadWiFi (now, at least) and Cisco drivers are company efforts. Intel doesn't maintain the driver for their stuff, but helps by releasing specs and, I think, helped write some of it. Broadcom stands out as the evil villain in the crowd by their steadfast refusal to cooperate in any way with the Open Source community.

The main problem manufacturers face is keeping folks from tinkering with the radios in such a way as to make them operated out of band. Some code, be it firmware or a hardware abstraction layer (HAL) is always kept proprietary. Since the market share for Linux and BSD combined doesn't get most company's attention, those who don't value the minority choose to ignore them.

A long-winded way of saying "Since manufacturers' support for Linux drivers is spotty, with some not cooperating at all ..." might be more accurate.

Again, thanks.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
SactoBob

2Gnu,
I agree with that, and of course defer to your experience here. I edited my post above as you suggested.

I really like the "open source" mentality I see here, where proposed code or text is put out for others to critique, and everybody is courteous and nobody defensive. I guess that is how Linux got so good and will get better.

Anyhow, feel free to use or edit or disregard what what I wrote. A big part of my day job is writing, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Bob

Last edited by SactoBob; 03-13-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
SactoBob

For anybody interested,
I purchased a Buffalo Ethernet Port Wireless Converter,
(available for $60 from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162168)

It was a snap to set up quickly. It is a high power unit, and much higher performance than my laptop PCMCIA card when interchanged on the same machine. It connected wirelessly to my router with about a minute's worth of work and provides 4 wired ethernet ports and comes with two ethernet cables that you can run to other computers, xboxs, or whatever. It is a small footprint, and comes with a long cord to its power supply.

This, to me, is SO much better than driver hell.

Bob

Last edited by SactoBob; 03-16-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
mcisco
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
"For anybody interested,
I purchased a Buffalo Ethernet Port Wireless Converter,
(available for $60 from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162168)"

Pretty much every link in this thread is now dead, or no longer available. Buffalo is apparently having legal troubles & can no longer sell their devices. For those of us coming late to the game, this is no longer an option. Can someone outline the general specs for devices like the one above & possibly link to similar devices. I agree that this would be the best solution for my linux system, as I constantly upgrade/switch distros. I have run across other wireless to ethernet adapters, but given my lack of familiarity with what make the "wireless bridge" different from a "wireless adapter," I am hesitant to purchase any of these. Any help would be greatly appreciated & thank all you posters for the great information so far.

Thank you!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
2Gnu

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply.

Bridge, wireless Ethernet adapter, wireless game adapter and client bridge mode are all the same thing. One of the better values, as mentioned in the original post, is a ZyXEL P-330W. Example: http://www.buy.com/prod/zyxel-p-330w...201701070.html

Used WRT54Gs can also be had for cheap, but you'll need dd-wrt or tomato firmware to use them as a bridge. Not much of challenge for the folks who post here, I think.