LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
sharkus

Distribution: openSUSE 10.3

Rep: Reputation: 15
open source drivers for ati cards

I updated to SUSE 10.2 on both of my computers, but because my laptop is somewhat old, ati will not upgrade their drivers to be compatible with xorg 7.2. Is there some place that I can download open source drivers that will work with legacy ati cards? (mine is a radeon 9000) Any help finding these will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:57 AM   #2
jay73
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04, Debian testing

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
The "radeon" drivers should be useful. They get installed automatically on Fedora, but I suppose they don't on Suse. My advice would be to run Sax2 and see whether you can find them - I'm almost sure they are there).

Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
nightshade_1977

Distribution: Linux Mint, Ubuntu Server

I was just wondering if you found the answer to this issue. I am currently having the same problem with my laptop Suse 10.2 on Dell Latitude D600 with ATI Radeon 9000 graphics card. I installed the Drivers from ATI site and can no longer boot to KDE I only get a command line.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread just hoping that you might have found the answer somewhere else and just not posted it here

Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
sharkus

Distribution: openSUSE 10.3

Original Poster
yeah, after a lot of pain and suffering I found out that you cannot use the ati drivers for suse 10.2. This is because suse has xorg 7.2 and ati hates linux so they won't update their drivers to work with 7.2. In order to fix your card, I believe you have to go into your xorg.conf file and change the driver from "fglrx" to "radeon".