LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
RetiredInMaine

Distribution: ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry System stopped printing with cups/hal error msg

I am running Fedora Core 6. I keep my system up to date by installing all updates as Red Hat notifies me. My last update contained cups updates. Now when I try to print I get this message when the job queues:
/usr/lib/cups/backend/hal failed

This happens no matter what application I am printing from. My printer is a EPSON STYLUS CX6600

I tried using yum to update both cups and hal, thinking that maybe I had an error on the last update. However yum tells me there are no updates available.

Is there any way to back out of the last update? Has anyone else noticed this problem? Does anyone have any idea how I can work around this?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
timjowers
LQ Newbie

Angry Same problem

Seeing the same here after updates... will look into it. Any ideas yet?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
timjowers
LQ Newbie

Thumbs up printer was disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjowers
Seeing the same here after updates... will look into it. Any ideas yet?

I guess the update disabled the printer. Go back into the printing admin screen and click the enable checkbox. Then it shows up right and works.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
RetiredInMaine

Distribution: ubuntu

Original Poster
Smile problem solved

The problem was solved by going to Printer Administration, deleting the printer, and reinstalling it. I was told, on a different forum, that this is a common problem with Epson printers. DOn't know if that's true, but this worked for me.

Good Luck