LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
joge
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
fedora 6 & Virtual pc

Today i tried fc6 in VirtualPC,but it's not working.it's showing some grafic problem.help pls

Old 12-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
live_dont_exist

Distribution: Redhat 9.0,FC3,FC5,FC10

Rep: Reputation: 30
You'll have to be a bit more explicit in your description. Were you running FC6 inside Vmware or something? what was the exact problem? Do be a little more descriptive else we cant help you out.

Cheers
Arvind

Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Meister1867
LQ Newbie

joge you can install FC6 in Virtual PC, however, you'll have to do a few things to make it work....

First, when I installed FC6 I had to do it using the text based installer. I could have sworn I was able to use the graphical installer before, but for some reason it didn't work. Anyways, after installing FC6, start in text mode (don't start Gnome, KDE, etc...). Otherwise you'll notice graphic errors.

You'll then have to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that the DefaultDepth is 16. Personnally I use nano to edit the file then save it.

Then you can type in 'startx' to get your Xwindows session started.

I should note though... when I did all the updates to FC6, the mouse stopped working. I'm still trying to fix that one :'(.

But... if you just want to mess with FC6, maybe do some PHP web development, it's a good place to start.

Good Luck

Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
The Viceroy
LQ Newbie

Hi,
Had exactly the same problem as Meister1867, got everything working fine with Fedora 6, then did the update and ZAP .. no mouse.

Actually, the mouse is there, its Microsoft Virtual PC that seems to not be letting the mouse take to the screen. I noticed on the initial release from discs that you can get the mouse to enter just after boot, but now since the update, that isn't occurring at all.

Would love to hear what you find Meister1867 !!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
neo_in_matrix

Rep: Reputation: 15
I am also having the mouse problem with Virtual PC. After updating to the latest kernel version, mouse stops working in graphic mode (keyboard also seems to fail working).

Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
Dodgy Bob
LQ Newbie

Same here, mouse stops working after update. Tried looking for solution but still stuck

Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
EerFan11
LQ Newbie

Same issue with vpc 2007 and Fedora

Same issue with update to Fedora 6..... any ideas as to which package could be causing the bug? I'm re-installing now....

Old 02-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
Meister1867
LQ Newbie

Wow... thought I was the only one with the no-mouse issue in Virtual PC, lol.

Anyways, I didn't do anything until I realized other people were experiencing the same issue, but here's an update...

Comparing 2.6.18 to 2.6.19 does reveal some differences.

In 2.6.18, the /dev/input directory contains:
event0, event1, event2, mice, mouse0

Doing a 'cat /dev/input/mice', or the other devices, will reveal that they work under 2.6.18 when you use your mouse (do a Ctrl-Z to break out of the cat).

In 2.6.19, the /dev/input directory only contains:
event0, event1, mice

So somewhere between the 2 kernels we're losing devices. I'm doing a 'yum update' to see if there are any changes that could get it all working again... but my gutt tells me it won't. If not, the missing devices do give a few clues as to what to check... if I get time I'll try it all out(dang RL syndrome).

However, if this offers anyone a clue on how to fix the issue, please feel free to explore a solution and report back . If I find anything out, I'll report back.

Later,
Meister1867

Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
benjithegreat98

Distribution: Fedora Core, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 45
Same here with the mouse probs!!!

Does anybody else have a problem with repeating keys from your keyboard?

Old 03-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
vm-fan
LQ Newbie

I experienced also this problem after the update.

I tried some modifications of the /etc/X11/ xorg .conf mouse section, but no luck.

I registered today to give something back to all the other poeple who have posted details what they have found:

The issue has been traced to an error in the 2.6.19 kernel. And the details can be found in this other fedora thread:
"Death mouse after kernel update FC6"
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=521011

I have found as only workable solution to go back to the 2.6.18 kernel.

Last edited by vm-fan; 03-11-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
benjithegreat98

Distribution: Fedora Core, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 45
One way I found around this is to setup remote desktop under Gnome. You can use alt-f1 to browse the menu to set it up. Then I just connect with VNC. I then have a usable mouse. Since it is a virtual pc it is already kind of slow, so using vnc doesn't really make it any slower....

Old 03-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
danimaldaisy

Distribution: redhat 7.3 now upgraded to 8.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
to use kde with vnc

someone mentioned the KDE desktop working using this

# Edit ~/.vnc/xstartup
# For KDE, replace “twm &” with “startkde &”
# For Gnome, replace “twm &” with “exec gnome-session &”

this is TOTALLY WRONG as i have searched forums everywhere with people complaining that this wont work

here is what i did!

i changed this line

exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

to this line

exec /usr/bin/startkde

you see you have to tell it where the directory is located. the default tells it where knome is located.

there are tons of people having the problem trying to get kde to work with vnc so i thought i should post.

Tags
fc6, fedora