LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
tolshelman
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Connected, cannot browse

I'm not sure where the real problem is, so I'm not sure if I should post it here, but what the heck I don't know what to do hehehe . Hmmn, how do I start...

I know that I'm connected to the internet, but I cannot browse. It just started happening last night. I turned Kubuntu (Dapper) on, and launched KTorrent and watched my downloads. Yes my KTorrent was downloading (and uploading).

But then when I decided to browse, I cannot visit any websites at all. I tried Firefox and Konqueror, both didn't give me anything.

I went to terminal and I tried running sudo apt-get update , but it, too, failed. Then I tried PINGing various sites, I also got nothing (unknown host errors). While my KTorrent is still downloading (and uploading).

I even tried DNS forcing... didn't help hehehe.

I'm using a Netgear router. My roommate with her Windows XP laptop is having no trouble with her connection and/or browsing. So I'm thinking the problem could be on my end.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
chakkerz

Distribution: a few...

Rep: Reputation: 32
any chance you got a firewall misconfigured in your router... Or some NAT/PortForwarding setting in it...?

Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
tolshelman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
no I believe not. I also asked my roommate and she told me she did nothing too (she knows even less than what I know regarding these things.)

Old 10-31-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
jschiwal
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682
Cat out the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. Are the nameserver addresses listed?

Look at the output of the "/sbin/route" command. Is the default route listed?

Try the command "host www.linuxquestions.org". This will perform a DNS lookup which you would need to access the internet through a browser.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
tolshelman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschiwal
Cat out the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. Are the nameserver addresses listed?

Look at the output of the "/sbin/route" command. Is the default route listed?

Try the command "host www.linuxquestions.org". This will perform a DNS lookup which you would need to access the internet through a browser.
Thanks for all your response! I'll try this (and answer your questions) when I get home.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
tolshelman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Cool weird...

Ok... and now for some weird reason, just like how I did nothing and that happened, I did nothing and now I can browse. Not that I'm not happy, I am... It's just, weird.

Thanks for all your help! You guys are the best!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
gkiagia

Distribution: Debian sid

Rep: Reputation: 30
Listen tolshelman, I also have a router here and sometimes it causes such a behaviour (I guess it's because overheating, I don't really know why). I can fix it right away by entering the web interface of the router and doing a "hard reboot". If your web interface doesn't have such an option, simply unplug and plug the router's power plug. This fixes the problem in a minute.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
gooch
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Arch, Debian, FreeBSD

gkiagia is right. its not your connection or your port forwarding settings, its your router. i have a linksys that does exactly the same thing when i have a torrent going for a while. and as gkiagia already said to fix it you need to restart or unplug your router for about a minute. annoying, but i can live with it... seeing as i dont really have the bandwidth to browse the web with a torrent going anyway
its not caused by overheating :P i believe its because of all the simultaneous connections bittorrent makes (usually 100+ a torrent depending on the number of peers) and the router can't take it.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
UhhMaybe

Distribution: Absolute 12.0 Studio 64 1.3.0

Rep: Reputation: 30
Cool

Suggestion: Plug the router into surge suppressor. Then use the on/off switch during user sessions. The period between sessions will both cool off the router and reset the router. As long as YOU don't require "always on" situations/performance, this will work.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
chakkerz

Distribution: a few...

Rep: Reputation: 32
Some distro's (such as Sabayon's 3.4 Loop X releases) had broken resolv.conf which intermittently worked (though mostly did not). Most likely though it's your router being flaky.