LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
311Sam

Distribution: slackware & kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
Wanting To Get Into Computer Industry, Looking For Advice

sorry to ask this here but this is about the most professional web forum i know, i have asked this else where with not much help.

well lets see. i dont know where to start. well i guess i will just start with my life story:

i did very poorly in high school. dont know how i graduated. i think i did so poor because i just wasnt motivated. my grandfather owns an automotive shop. i had always thought i would just grow up to be a mechanic of some sort so i always figured i wouldnt need to know proper math or english, and consequently i did horrible in those classes.

right now i am working as an aircraft mechanic. i payed $20k to go to a tech school for 13 months. i did fine in the tech school with a 3.7 gpa, i only did bad in the academic classes again . it has been 3 years since i have gotten my job and it just pretty much sucks all around. i have looked elsewhere in the industry and i see all the same things that i dont like about my current company. one thing i cant stand is the overtime. we usually work 6 days a week year around, 56 hours a week. usually there isnt even work and we are still there on overtime standing around. management is horrible in pretty much every company i have seen. if management is good then usually you have to worry about layoffs (boeing,lockheed,etc). i am 23. i am getting to the point in my life where i want to get a girlfriend and start a family. right now it would be stupid and selfish to do that working the hours i work and on my small $35k a year salary. i had a crappy childhood growing up and i really dont want to pass that forward to my own kids.

i have been doing alot of thinking and i am ready to do something about all this. in august i registered at my local community college. i got into the network administration program. however since i am working all these hours schooling is kinda hard and i can only take 2 courses a semester. at this rate it would take almost 5 years for a 2 year degree. and then im still not sure if this degree will give me what i want. so after thinking about all this again i have decided it would be best to just quit work and move back into my grandparents house and go to school full time. but then the question arises about what school to enroll into. they live by san antonio texas so i would be limited to a school in that city. right now i am in waco texas.

now i know nobody can choose a school for me or know what i like. i am just hoping to get some info so i will be able to make a good choice in the school i go too. i am even thinking about a 4 year degree. so what do i like? well i am on here so of course i like computers and linux. networking, configuring, tweaking, fixing broken programs, i just cant get enough of it. i bought my first computer when i was 18 and i havent stopped since then. right now i have a small network running in my house. i got a box with smoothwall on it for my firwall/gateway. another box on the orange for a server. got wireless and ethernet for the green. there is just something about networking and hooking up computers that i like. i really like the way a 2 year degree sounds for network administration. i just dont want to get stuck in a dead end job again or in another crappy work place. i mean, so if i build a network for a company what happens once it is finished? do i get fired or stuck sitting at a desk all day bored out of my mind?

this is where i starting thinking about maybe getting a 4 year degree. would that be better? but then i cant really find any kind of 4 year degrees that have anything to do with networking. st. mary's university in san antonio looks to be pretty good but all the courses have to do with programming or engineering. things i have thought about but i am not really sure if i would like to do it. i finally found a university that atleast has a networking track in their computer science degree: http://www.ollusa.edu/ollu2.aspx?pgID=991

so what does everyone think? it seems like the 2 year degrees for networking are all based around getting certs while the 4 year degrees dont seem to have any certs at all?

and going a step farther i started looking in to computer type jobs and seeing what kind of degrees i need.

there is this one offered at my own company: http://christi.ath.cx/logs/lantechII.htm
"Basic Qualifications: Technical Bachelor degree + 2 yrs information technology infrastructure experience "
what the heck is a technical bachelor degree?

and another job: http://jobs-rackspace.icims.com/rack...1350&mode=view

where in the world would i ever learn to run all those programs listed? dont seem to have come across any classes for that at any schools.

then this one: http://jobs-rackspace.icims.com/rack...1338&mode=view

they want some linux scripting knowledge in that one, guessing you would get that with a software degree?

Last edited by 311Sam; 06-12-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 87
311Sam -- here's my 2 cents:

1. It sounds like you've figured out what you want to do with your life, and what kind of work you'd like to be doing. This is actually a pretty important accomplishment.... a lot of folks just drift year after year after year till they find something they enjoy. That's excellent. You'd found that you have this interest, so I'd suggest you pursue it.

2. Pay no attention to how long it might take to get a degree. As the old saying goes, a lot of people will walk away from an education, saying, "It will take me X years to get the degree, and by that time I'll be Y years old." Well, whether or not you get the degree, after X years you will be Y years old, regardless. So which is better: using X years to get a degree, or wasting X years and letting the time go by?

3. Making the transition from airline work to computer work probably won't be a straight line, but there are a lot of things you can do to help incrementally make the change. First of course is to take the classes you want to take, so that you'll have the knowledge to do the work. Second, get involved. Maybe there are some volunteer projects you can work on... in all likelihood the bucks will not be all that great (or may not exist at all) on a volunteer project but you will gain reputation and that will be hugely important - it's all about who you know, not what you know. Also, join your local LUG. Let people know that you are interested in making a career out of computers, and if/when a position opens up that someone knows about, they'll probably give you consideration or at least give you the heads-up that the XYZ Company is hiring. As I mentioned before, if you have the advantage of someone who'll vouch for your abilities, you have a huge advantage over the random guy off the street. Again, get involved, meet people, let them know you are working hard to advance yourself in the field and that you want to make the career change from airlines to computers.

I'll bet that you can do it and I wish you all the success in the world. It might take some time to pay your dues, but if you hang tough you can achieve your goals.
Realistically nobody is going to hire someone just because they claim they have an interest in a particular line of work -- they need to see some level of accomplishment in the field, and it can be hugely helpful if other people can speak up on your behalf. Get that kind of experience under your belt, and you can get the job. Again, best wishes for success

Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
311Sam

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.
311Sam -- here's my 2 cents:

1. It sounds like you've figured out what you want to do with your life, and what kind of work you'd like to be doing. This is actually a pretty important accomplishment.... a lot of folks just drift year after year after year till they find something they enjoy. That's excellent. You'd found that you have this interest, so I'd suggest you pursue it.

2. Pay no attention to how long it might take to get a degree. As the old saying goes, a lot of people will walk away from an education, saying, "It will take me X years to get the degree, and by that time I'll be Y years old." Well, whether or not you get the degree, after X years you will be Y years old, regardless. So which is better: using X years to get a degree, or wasting X years and letting the time go by?

3. Making the transition from airline work to computer work probably won't be a straight line, but there are a lot of things you can do to help incrementally make the change. First of course is to take the classes you want to take, so that you'll have the knowledge to do the work. Second, get involved. Maybe there are some volunteer projects you can work on... in all likelihood the bucks will not be all that great (or may not exist at all) on a volunteer project but you will gain reputation and that will be hugely important - it's all about who you know, not what you know. Also, join your local LUG. Let people know that you are interested in making a career out of computers, and if/when a position opens up that someone knows about, they'll probably give you consideration or at least give you the heads-up that the XYZ Company is hiring. As I mentioned before, if you have the advantage of someone who'll vouch for your abilities, you have a huge advantage over the random guy off the street. Again, get involved, meet people, let them know you are working hard to advance yourself in the field and that you want to make the career change from airlines to computers.

I'll bet that you can do it and I wish you all the success in the world. It might take some time to pay your dues, but if you hang tough you can achieve your goals.
Realistically nobody is going to hire someone just because they claim they have an interest in a particular line of work -- they need to see some level of accomplishment in the field, and it can be hugely helpful if other people can speak up on your behalf. Get that kind of experience under your belt, and you can get the job. Again, best wishes for success
That's not bad advice. I looked up the local LUG for down in San Antonio. #2 is a good tip too, if I had done that the first time I wouldn't be here

Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
kvedaa

Distribution: PacketProtector

Rep: Reputation: 30
311Sam,

I would like to take a moment to say that I agree with the advice put forth by J.W. and to add my two cents.

I have been in the IT industry in one manner or another for a dozen years. While I enjoyed tinkering around with computers when I was a kid (Vic-20 & C64), but at the time I did not think about it as a career posibilty.

After I graduated high school I went off to college to pursue a degree in Sport Medicine, and oddly enough my academic career was side tracked when I broke my foot. Even more oddly, this change of life lead me into a stint with the Marine Corps, where I was 'volunteered' to do system administration (in addition to my normal duties). This was when I started to think that it might be possible to make a career for myself in this business, plus anything that did not involve carrying around 60+ pound packs and waiting for opportunities to go to nasty parts of the world and act as target practice for people all while earning about minimum wage seemed like it might be a good idea....

After I became a civilian again I eventually found work on a help desk, I payed my dues doing phone support for 3 - 4 years and then I started getting more exciting (and better paying opportunities). I decided that going back to school would help strengthen my career, so in addition to working I went to school at nights and on weekends and recently earned a BS in Computer Networking, and have just started grad school (pursuing a Masters in Information Technology).

I think that trying to get involved with people & projects, this serves both to get you experience and to build contacts. While this field can seem intimidating at times, there are indeed many ways to get started, and there are countless possibilities as to where you can end up going.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavor.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
311Sam

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvedaa
311Sam,

I would like to take a moment to say that I agree with the advice put forth by J.W. and to add my two cents.

I have been in the IT industry in one manner or another for a dozen years. While I enjoyed tinkering around with computers when I was a kid (Vic-20 & C64), but at the time I did not think about it as a career posibilty.

After I graduated high school I went off to college to pursue a degree in Sport Medicine, and oddly enough my academic career was side tracked when I broke my foot. Even more oddly, this change of life lead me into a stint with the Marine Corps, where I was 'volunteered' to do system administration (in addition to my normal duties). This was when I started to think that it might be possible to make a career for myself in this business, plus anything that did not involve carrying around 60+ pound packs and waiting for opportunities to go to nasty parts of the world and act as target practice for people all while earning about minimum wage seemed like it might be a good idea....

After I became a civilian again I eventually found work on a help desk, I payed my dues doing phone support for 3 - 4 years and then I started getting more exciting (and better paying opportunities). I decided that going back to school would help strengthen my career, so in addition to working I went to school at nights and on weekends and recently earned a BS in Computer Networking, and have just started grad school (pursuing a Masters in Information Technology).

I think that trying to get involved with people & projects, this serves both to get you experience and to build contacts. While this field can seem intimidating at times, there are indeed many ways to get started, and there are countless possibilities as to where you can end up going.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavor.
Didn't even know there was a BS in Computer Networking. Hope I can find a school that offers that near by. I really plan on being involved with user groups and school projects. I got a crazy idea that I might be able to find a local church that needs some help setting up or securing thier network (have heard some real horror stories of small churches trying to cheaply get a network up). I will more then likely be staying with my grandparents which will mean I will be bored out of my mind most of the time there. Good excuse to get out of the house more or work on online certs

Last edited by 311Sam; 10-21-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
kvedaa

Distribution: PacketProtector

Rep: Reputation: 30
I would definitely take a look around for local schools that might have something along the lines that you are interested in. Keep in mind that if you have been playing around with Linux and are comfortable with configuring a system, installing applications, and basic troubleshooting you may well be ahead of a good number of your potential classmates.

Try not to let this get you frustrated. You need to keep your eyes on the bigger picture while going through this process. Even if you do not learn a great deal from a specific class, you still will accomplish a few things by getting through a program. First it gives you something concrete that you can present to a potential employer who does not know you, and may not be in a great position to truly know how to determine what they need to be looking for. Second, it gives you contacts (both professors and fellow students with similar interest), these also can lead to potential jobs. And heck, you might actually learn something (wouldn't that be a nice bonus?).

Also it provides a stepping stone to possible future endevors. For instance, as I moved around both while in the military and then afterwards, I attended 9 different universities and colleges , before I finally earned my degree (at Strayer University). While Strayer was not the best of the colleges that I had attended, it did meet the needs that I had at the time. And it provided me with the prerequisite that I needed so that I could continue my education, as I am now enrolled at the Harvard Extension School, where I hope to be admitted into their Masters program (ALM in Information Technology).

I noticed that your location was listed as Waco, TX. If that is correct, you may want to take a look at:

http://www.mclennan.edu

I noticed that they have a few IT related programs, and assuming that you have residency in the state of Texas, the tuition is fairly affordable.

Good Luck, and be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
311Sam

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvedaa

I noticed that your location was listed as Waco, TX. If that is correct, you may want to take a look at:

http://www.mclennan.edu

I noticed that they have a few IT related programs, and assuming that you have residency in the state of Texas, the tuition is fairly affordable.

Good Luck, and be sure to let us know how it works out for you.
haha. Thanks for doing some searching for me. I am actually already going to MCC right now, I started in August. Enrolled in the 2 year network administration program they have. Taking a cisco course and english1 right now. But like I said I will more then likely be quiting work and moving in with my grandparents. They live by New Braunfels, Tx so my choices for school are going to have to be near San Antonio or San Marcos. I have alot to choose from but nothing has any kind of degree for networking. Our Lady of the Lake has a computer science degree with a track in networking but not sure how good it is though: http://www.ollusa.edu/ollu2.aspx?pgID=991

Old 10-22-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
pixellany
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
One more thought: One way to get into an industry is to get a job in the industry--without regard to what you do. My son is an example of this. After dropping out of college, he got a job in the local Apple store--in the stockroom (shipping, receiving, etc.) Within two years, he was working in customer support and systems engineering. With no more formal training, he now writes and manages databases for a computer services firm.

How did he get into the computer store? He had learned a few things on our Apple-II and Mac-128 and wanted to be around computer people. His best/worst story was selling a computer to Marlon Brando and then going to his house and trying to get him to use it correctly. Apparently, Brando did not have the word "backup" in his vocabulary---eventually he lost a bunch of data, my son tried to recover but could not, and Brando wound up suing the company.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
311Sam

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany
One more thought: One way to get into an industry is to get a job in the industry--without regard to what you do. My son is an example of this. After dropping out of college, he got a job in the local Apple store--in the stockroom (shipping, receiving, etc.) Within two years, he was working in customer support and systems engineering. With no more formal training, he now writes and manages databases for a computer services firm.

How did he get into the computer store? He had learned a few things on our Apple-II and Mac-128 and wanted to be around computer people. His best/worst story was selling a computer to Marlon Brando and then going to his house and trying to get him to use it correctly. Apparently, Brando did not have the word "backup" in his vocabulary---eventually he lost a bunch of data, my son tried to recover but could not, and Brando wound up suing the company.
Yea I was actually thinking about something like that. I have been meaning to find the IT manager here at my company. I am going to tell her about how my current job is not working out the way I wanted it and about how I am thinking about quiting and going to school full time. I want to ask her what would be the best degree for me to get into something I like and how exactly the IT field in a company like mine works. Who knows, maybe instead of giving me advice she will just hire me on the spot

Last edited by 311Sam; 10-22-2006 at 09:38 AM.