LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
2Gnu

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 51
WPA - A Minor Success Story

After putting off an upgrade to my Stone Age wireless setup for far too long, I finally moved into the 21st century - 802.11G, WPA, the whole bit.

I added a ZyXEL X-550 wireless router (as an access point only) to a ZyXEL 10W firewall/router. The 10W had been providing wireless via a plug-in 200mw Prism card with WEP and EAP_TLS authentication by way of FreeRADIUS. The 10W/Prism combo meant that WPA was not an option.

A distro upgrade on my laptop broke Xsupplicant, needed for the 802.1x authentication. Newer versions of the supplicant meant patching the 2.4.33 kernel or moving to 2.6.x (which I'll do eventually). So, knowing I had only WEP protecting me, I headed to CompUSA with a list of things I knew to be compatible.

Building the MadWiFi driver for the Atheros-based ZyXEL G-102 card was a snap. Compiling wpa_supplicant was a bit more challenging. I tried the pre-compiled version available for my distro (Slack 11) but it was compiled without Atheros support. Compiling the driver required editing CFLAG settings in a config file which I was able to do after a little Goggling and cursing.

Now, WPA-PSK is up and running. My next step is to automate the card settings on boot. The final one will be to get WPA working with EAP_TLS. Yes, I know that's stupid overkill for a home setup, but I already have FreeRADIUS running and the certs built and it gives me l337 geek status.

The best part is that I now have a working WPA setup to use to help other folks who run into trouble with it.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
You know, you might want to drop an email on how you did this to Alien Bob (Eric). My understanding is that the Slackware wpa_supplicant package is based off of his work. You're certainly not the only Slacker using an Atheros chipset, so it REALLY ought to be included. Particularly if there are specific goat sacrifices needed to get it working.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
2Gnu

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdog42
You know, you might want to drop an email on how you did this to Alien Bob (Eric). My understanding is that the Slackware wpa_supplicant package is based off of his work. You're certainly not the only Slacker using an Atheros chipset, so it REALLY ought to be included. Particularly if there are specific goat sacrifices needed to get it working.
Hey! Careful or you'll have PETA protestors crawling all over this place. Note: No goats were harmed in the compiling of this package (although we did slaughter a couple of chickens and the fatted calf).

You're right, more details would help.

I've compiled lots of code from source. Normally, it's a simple matter of ./configure, make, checkinstall (which I use to create a Slack package for easy removal). Sometimes, I have to do something like exporting a lib or path or add an option like --with-some_option. On rare occasions, I've edited a Makefile to fix a compile error.

The README for wpa_supplicant was not intuitive (to me). I finally grasped that the ./configure step was replaced by me creating a .config file and that the example was contained in a file labelled defconfig. It says that, but like looking at a man page if you've never seen one, it didn't "click" at first.

The next challenge was the syntax in the config file. There are notes for the user to point the compiler script to things it needs - OpenSSL, for example. So,

Code:
# Uncomment following two lines and fix the paths if you have installed openssl
# in non-default location
#CFLAGS += -I/usr/local/openssl/include
#LIBS += -L/usr/local/openssl/lib
becomes

Code:
CFLAGS += -I/usr/include/openssl
LIBS += -L/usr/lib
To compile Atheros support, one needs to point the wpa_supplicant compile to the MadWiFi driver source code so you'll need that as well (I had already buit the driver).

Here's the relevant part of the config file:
Code:
# Driver interface for madwifi driver
#CONFIG_DRIVER_MADWIFI=y
# Change include directories to match with the local setup
#CFLAGS += -I../madwifi/wpa
I modified it to this, as I'd unzipped the madwifi tarball in my home dir:

Code:
CONFIG_DRIVER_MADWIFI=y
CFLAGS += -I/home/dipstick/madwifi-0.9.2
All of the EAP methods were uncommented by default (meaning that the supplicant would compile in support for them) except for some experimental or very rare types like EAP_SIM. I left them in even though I only intend to use TLS. A really skinny package wasn't a goal.

The "make" step went fine and the install step is to simply copy two binaries - wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli to /usr/local/bin.

I used checkinstall to make a Slackware tgz, which I'd be happy to send to Alien_Bob or anyone else for testing. (Alien_Bob's work with the recent scripts is much appreciated, and I'm sorting through them this morning to see if I can figure out how to make rc.wireless play nicely with ath0.)

Old 10-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Quote:
To compile Atheros support, one needs to point the wpa_supplicant compile to the MadWiFi driver source code so you'll need that as well (I had already buit the driver).
I bet this is why the official wpa_supplicant package doesn't have madwifi support. I don't think Slackware has any madwifi packages, at least not official ones. Just out of curiosity, do you know if the wext driver in wpa_supplicant works with madwifi? I know it does with bcm43xx and ndiswrapper, but that is the extent of the drivers I've tried it with.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Fluxx

Distribution: Slackware (Current)

Rep: Reputation: 30
I use wpa_supplicant with madwifi and wext driver in this way

Code:
/usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B -Dwext
without problems. I think it was in the README of wpa_supplicant where I red that this is possible and therefore I did it - without problems.

It (the line with wext) had to be uncommented in the file .config in wpa_supplicant sources before compiling the wpa_supplicant.

Fluxx.

Last edited by Fluxx; 10-14-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
2Gnu

Original Poster
I didn't try the Wext option.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Since it seems to work with wext, that might save some people the hassle of compiling wpa_supplicant. As 2Gnu pointed out, it isn't a real intuitive process.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
rkelsen

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573Reputation: 2573
Alien Bob's repository of Slackware packages contains a Madwifi-enabled version of wpa_supplicant.

I don't think Pat will be shipping Madwifi any time soon. There are too many unasnwered questions about it's legality.