LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
davidsrsb

Distribution: Slackware 13.37 current

Rep: Reputation: 33
upgrade breezy from dapper cd?

If I load my dapper install cd on a breezy system, package manager opens th cd and offers to upgrade just a few packages.

Is there any way to get breezy to update without fetching everything from the Internet?

Old 06-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
luke-indul
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm not sure, but I'm now downloading the dapper cd to upgrade my breezy system. I'm doing it so, because I've very slow internet connection. I'm going do use this cd to upgrade my breezy.

I think you have to:
1)sudo apt-get update
2)sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
In this file you have to change all words "breezy" to "dapper" to change the names of repositories.
3)now you have to use "apt-cdrom". This is a command to add a cdrom(in this case: with dapper) to use cdrom as next repository. Try man apt-cdrom. Maybe this will be enough: "apt-get add" with cd inside.

After downloading dapper iso I'll do it on my machine, so I can post exact commands, but it will take a while(so slow connection...).

Try this, but be careful, cause I'm not an Ubuntu guru

Old 06-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
luke-indul
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
See this link, there is everything.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperUpgrades

Old 06-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
aysiu

Distribution: Ubuntu with IceWM

Rep: Reputation: 86
You can upgrade to Dapper from CD only if you use the Alternate Install CD instead of the Desktop CD.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
-=Graz=-

Distribution: Fedora, Slackware, RHEL, AIX, HP-UX

Rep: Reputation: 31
Yes the alternate CD will do the trick.. I had enourmous problems however - contrary to the instructions i had to enable ONLY the CD drive in /etc/apt/sources.list
Then it did all the updating - spend about 60 minutes installing apps/stopping-starting services and then bombed out doing something with Samba.
I had no applications on the menu and upon reboot had a blank screen (i think this is a known issue with 855gm Intel video however) - for some users at least.

Ended up backing up my 5.10 and using the 6.06 alternate CD from scratch and i couldnt be happier. New release is AWESOME! Boots so fast and has worked flawlessly - one thing to note however is that using the Intel 855 video chip i had to use the 955resolution patch to get native res .... as a pose to the 855resolution//

Old 06-12-2006, 04:58 AM   #6
davidsrsb

Distribution: Slackware 13.37 current

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 33
Some progress
I followed the instructions above. The alternate cd was loaded and over 900 packages updated.
Reboot showed the new kernel (and the old ones)
The machine froze very quickly with a blank screen.
Going into rescue mode I experimented with apt-get and tried nvidi-glx. This was updated and now I have gnome, but few applications in the menu even though they are there on the disk. The centre progress bar is sticking aftre the third icon saying nautilus.

It looks like updating ubuntu to dapper when the previous breezy system was running the nvidia glx driver is broken.
I have a lot more packages to update as the machine had some kubuntu as well, but the speed I get to the repositories is aweful so it will take a few days to catch up.

Updating Ubuntu seems much harder than my Slackware PCs

Old 06-13-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
-=Graz=-

Distribution: Fedora, Slackware, RHEL, AIX, HP-UX

Rep: Reputation: 31
Yes agreed - i had problems updating from 5.10 to 6.06...
Now that i have it working though though oi m very happy with it.. (by installing fresh rather than updating)

I also got very very slow downloads from the repositories - i assume becuase there are a few million other people doing the same thing.. =)