LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Kernel
User Name
Password
Linux - Kernel This forum is for all discussion relating to the Linux kernel.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Ibrahimbazar

Rep: Reputation: 15
wherei do i find .config file

Problem: This is the actual problem

[/I][/U][/B]I'll start off by stating that I'm pretty new to linux so this could likely be a stupid newbie mistake. Here's the problem:

The kernel I have working is version 2.4.22 and I can still boot up to that. I compiled a 2.6 version and installed it in exactly the same way that the old version is, just appending 2-6 to the end of the file. I did this also with /etc/lilo.conf and ran lilo afterwards so when I reboot I get a menu that shows linux and linux-2.6

linux still boots up fine but when I try and boot up linux-2.6 I get some ouput and then a kernel panic with this message:

<snip>
VFS: Cannot open root device "888" or unknown-block(8,8)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,8)

I am running debian testing on a dell poweredge 1750. It has 2 Xeon processors and 1 scsi HD. The whole reason behind my compiling a kernel is trying to get support for high memory (this machine has 2 gigs of ram) and multi-processor support.

I doubt this has anything to do with lilo and suspect that I've somehow configured the kernel wrong. I am using reiserFS and I'm pretty sure I selected all scsi and driver support. Everything is compiled in and not as modules.

Solution This is the solution
could u check on IDE support, whether is turned on or not.
Check your .config and look for CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK entries.

now how do i fine the .config file

please help me out

Old 05-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #2
prozac

Distribution: slackware 12.1

Rep: Reputation: 32
did you installed from a rpm? if you compiled your own kernel from a kernel source your .config is in the top directory of your kernel directory tree along with your system.map file. i suggest you read the kernel howto's first. i am sorry for the other post in the other thread but with all honest means i suggest you read the kernel howto's and procedures that you have to follow in order to compile and run your new kernel. you will be delighted by the output instead of frustrated which you are right now.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer

Distribution: Arch, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Wherever you built your kernel will have the .config file.
Perhaps it's /usr/src/linux/.config or /usr/src/linux-2.6.whichever.version.you.compiled/.config ?

Your error
Quote:
VFS: Cannot open root device "888" or unknown-block(8,8)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,8)
means the kernel cannot find the root file system. Make sure that LiLO is parsing the correct root=/dev/???? parameter, make sure that the device exists, and that the kernel has driver support for the device compiled in.

In other words, either (a) your / (root) filesystem is not in that location or (b) you don't have the block device for that filesystem compiled in your kernel, or compiled as a module (M) rather than built-in (Y).

Old 05-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Charred

Distribution: Slackware 11

Rep: Reputation: 30
In my experience, that error is usually caused by forgetting to compile the appropriate filesystem support into the kernel (Chinaman's option "b" above). I suggest you start there.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
Ibrahimbazar

Original Poster
thanx for the help
chinaman's b option really worked and solved my problem.The .config file was located at /usr/src/Linux 2.4.21-9.0.1

Old 05-29-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer

Distribution: Arch, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Glad you got it working, and thanks for posting what worked. Now someone who finds your thread by searching will be able to do the same.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Charred

Distribution: Slackware 11

Rep: Reputation: 30
Well done, Ibrahimbazar.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
silmaril8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred
In my experience, that error is usually caused by forgetting to compile the appropriate filesystem support into the kernel (Chinaman's option "b" above). I suggest you start there.
I also just ran across while compiling my first 2.6 kernel in Slackware. Checked my config and I had left out ext3. Thanks Charred!