LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
epidemic248
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Invisible mouse and Internet problems after upgrading to Fedora Core 5

Okay, I've browsed through dozens of posts and kept coming across things that seemed similar, but nothing really seemed to work for my situation.

The problem appeared after I upgraded my version of Fedora to Fedora Core 5 (I'm pretty sure my old version was Fedora Core 1), I booted to find out that after loading up most of the things my mouse would disappear once the login screen appears. Up to this point, when the OS is still starting up I can see the mouse cursor and move it around just fine, but once I get to the login screen it disappears. It doesn't matter what user I login as, and attempts at changing different display settings haven't seemed to work.

I may be doing something wrong, I'm still a newbie so I'm not too sure. I've tried looking at the xorg.conf file as well, because I had read on one of the threads that a setting of "HWCURSOR" set to "ON" causes the mouse to be invisible. I looked through the file, but I could not find anything at all about "HWCURSOR."

In addition to the mouse cursor problems, I am having a difficult time fixing my internet connection. I am using a Westell DSL modem, and it works fine from Windows XP. I've tried to adjust my setting under system-config-network, but nothing seems to work. When I go to activate the connection it only goes as far as trying to determine an ip address. I've tried to ping other addresses and that doesn't work either.

As for my hardware setup, I'm using a nVidia nForce Networking Controller for my ethernet slot in my computer, and I have a nVidia GeForce 6100 as my video card. I'm not sure if getting an updated driver might help, I've tried a while back, but I could not get it to install. I didn't have any of these problems with my old version of Fedora, and I haven't changed any of my hardware so I'm not sure what it could be. I think I may have typed too much, just wanted to give some details. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by epidemic248; 05-21-2006 at 11:44 PM.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
edwal
LQ Newbie

Distribution: suse 10 /Fedora Core 5

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hi I had the same problem but found https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=182517 go to article 20 and edit xorg.conf as it suggests -worked for me.
I found that I could navigate somewhat erratically by watching where the non existent mouse pointer highlighted icons etc and to get to xorg.conf I opened Home then File Open parent , then File Open parent . I then scrolled through the files until I found /etc opened it and searched for X11, opened it and searched it for xorg.conf, opened it and edited it as described in the above url
I am sorry if my explanation is a bit long winded or basic but it's the way I wish some one had explained it to me and saved me hours finding out how to do it. (I am new to Linux and Forums but promise to improve)
My internet connection seems to have a mind of its own even though I have managed to load the Nvidia drivers for the onboard network card (Asus A8N-VM mobo) I will persevere and keep trying settings and Googling for answers. If I get anywhere I will let you know and it may help you.

Last edited by edwal; 05-22-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
epidemic248
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
invisible mouse

I really appreciate your help. I've looked over those bug reports and it seems as though they may help. I'm going to give it a shot and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
epidemic248
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Mouse problem solved

Well I edited my xorg.conf file and added the lines about rhg and HWCURSOR. So now I can see my mouse and that will make working on other things easier.

I'm still working on my internet connection but I'll see if I can figure something out. I'll let you know if I manage to fix it.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
therahmin
LQ Newbie

I had the mouse pointer problem and the information provided here helped out - thanks.

I'm still having the erratic internet issues though and the system also freezes during logout/restart.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
epidemic248
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
During your logout/restart, can you see what process are happening, like filesystems unmounting and programs getting the kill signal? If so, that might give you an idea where to start looking...

Old 06-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
abdulmuqsith
LQ Newbie

Hi, I 've recently switched frm Windows to Linux.
So started learning abt it.

I 've installed fedora core 5 on my PC. Its configuration is

AMD Athlon-64 3000+ processor 939 socket
Gigabyte Motherboard with follwoing chipsets:
Northbridge nVidia GeForce 6100
Southbridge nVidia nForce 430

and

Built-in nvidia GeForce 6100 Chipset

and

VITESSE 8201 onboard LAN

I had the invisible mouse pointer problem which was solved using the methods shown in the above posts.

But i could connect to internet. The LAN card is being detected but still i could connect to LAN. I can connect on the windows XP.

Can anyone help me out.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
edwal
LQ Newbie

Angry

Updating the Bios on my machine (Asus A8N-VM mobo)cured the occasional freeze on logout/restart but robbed me of my intermittent internet connection. Reloading the Nvidia LAN driver did not cure the problem. This would seem to be a problem relating to Nvidia drivers as several forums I have visited have posts with this internet problem ,all different connection set-ups but Nvidia drivers.If anybody has a solution could they let us know and put us out of our collective misery.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
edwal
LQ Newbie

I have my internet connection back--friend called round looked at my last post and told me to change my Bios settings. In the Bios for my mobo is a section OnBoard Devices Configuration and under that heading apart from OnBoard LAN -Enabled is a heading OnBoard LAN Boot ROM which I reset to Enabled and my internet connection was back. I do not remember this setting being on enabled when I first installed FC5 but I suspect the setting may have changed when I updated the Bios. I do not know what this setting does but I will happily accept it as a working solution.Hope this may help others with the internet connection problems. Just have to get the sound to work and the PC to shut down properly now and I will be there. ( should I be starting a new thread with this info and problems with sound and shut down-- new to contributing to forums and would like to do it correctly)
P.S. I am probably wrong about Nvidia drivers --my apologies.

Last edited by edwal; 06-04-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
epidemic248
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I still haven't fixed my internet problem, but I've read a lot of things about the nVidia network drivers too. I'm thinking of just adding in one of my old ethernet cards into my computer to bypass the problem, but I'll probably check out that BIOS, too.

As for your other topics, it would probably be easier to start a new topic, because that way your question may get more attention and you might find better help.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
alucard001
LQ Newbie

The solution to network connection problem for nForce chipset:

I used GA-M51-S2G, Gigabyte onBoard network ethernet card.

I have just solved this problem after reading this post and go to search in Google. The main cause of this problem is: Driver problem, the network drive (forcedeth.c) is old and cannot be used by Linux to connect to the Internet.

Therefore, you need to download and install the driver in the following web site:

www(dot)nvidia(dot)com(slash)object(slash)linux(underline)nforce(underline)1.11.html

As you see from the above link, the version of this file is 1.11, which, in FC5 the version of forcedeth.c is 0.49...

After installing the RPM version of this file and restart your network (/etc/init.d/network restart), you should be able to go to Internet.

BTW, I dunno if it is also relevant or not, I have performed the step of changing BIOS - OnBoard LAN Boot ROM options. User can try if it will affect the connection or not.

Hope it helps.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
Nilesh Adkhale
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by epidemic248
Okay, I've browsed through dozens of posts and kept coming across things that seemed similar, but nothing really seemed to work for my situation.

The problem appeared after I upgraded my version of Fedora to Fedora Core 5 (I'm pretty sure my old version was Fedora Core 1), I booted to find out that after loading up most of the things my mouse would disappear once the login screen appears. Up to this point, when the OS is still starting up I can see the mouse cursor and move it around just fine, but once I get to the login screen it disappears. It doesn't matter what user I login as, and attempts at changing different display settings haven't seemed to work.

I may be doing something wrong, I'm still a newbie so I'm not too sure. I've tried looking at the xorg.conf file as well, because I had read on one of the threads that a setting of "HWCURSOR" set to "ON" causes the mouse to be invisible. I looked through the file, but I could not find anything at all about "HWCURSOR."

In addition to the mouse cursor problems, I am having a difficult time fixing my internet connection. I am using a Westell DSL modem, and it works fine from Windows XP. I've tried to adjust my setting under system-config-network, but nothing seems to work. When I go to activate the connection it only goes as far as trying to determine an ip address. I've tried to ping other addresses and that doesn't work either.

As for my hardware setup, I'm using a nVidia nForce Networking Controller for my ethernet slot in my computer, and I have a nVidia GeForce 6100 as my video card. I'm not sure if getting an updated driver might help, I've tried a while back, but I could not get it to install. I didn't have any of these problems with my old version of Fedora, and I haven't changed any of my hardware so I'm not sure what it could be. I think I may have typed too much, just wanted to give some details. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Solution on Internet Connection

I have a ADSL TraiBand there for i input a ADSL Ip Address in to my System -> Administration -> Network -> DNS -> Primary DNS that's it my internet connection is working.

Tags
fedora, invisible, mouse, nvidia, video