LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
BruceTSpruce
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
My DVD-ROM or CD-RW not recognized

OK here is the deal..I can boot up with Slackware10.1 install cd and I have made it as far as setting up Linux partitions and s swap file, etc...but the setup program tells me it can't find a cd-rom...what gives? I tried auto scanning for one(I have a dvd and a cd-rw), to no avail. I'm new to Linux(trying to cross over from the EVIL EMPIRE! heh) My config: Gigabyte GA-915PL-G mobo with(Intel 915PL Chipset)...Now this motherboard has 3 IDE slots...primary HDD(slot 1) and CD/DVD(slot 2--but they are recognized by the bios as being a RAID array)hmmmmm.....I'm clueless...please help!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
cynedyr
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Try using mount (mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) or specifying hdc or hdd when looking for the source directory, perhaps, then rerunning setup.

I had the same error on the first machine I setup, sometimes it seemed like the cd drive wouldn't spin up fast enough for linux to acknowledge that it was there.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
BruceTSpruce
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks, cynedyr! I'll check it out and let ya know...

Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
lestoil

Distribution: win2k,ubuntu,sw13,arch,centos5.3

Rep: Reputation: 31
If you have XP look in device manager for how cd/dvdrom is id'ed-ide or sata. If your cd/dvdrom is connected to ide(ite-raid) port then you may have to turn off the raid option in BIOS. While there turn off any BIOS antivirus. If cd/dvd or hard drive is connected to sata(narrow thicker ribbon) then sata.i kernel(includes ide) maybe better install kernel option--not default.Go through device manager for video card,nic,sound card,etc and write this info down. Then review http://www.slackbasics.org/ SW10.2 install guide by DanielDK. Step by step is best. Enjoy.

Last edited by lestoil; 03-27-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer

Distribution: Arch, Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Once you get the system booted with the Slackware install CD, issue
Code:
dmesg | grep ATAPI
and see if your DVD-ROM or CD-RW show up. If so, that will tell you
where they are located by the kernel.

Edit: lestoil -- This is the link to Daniel's Slackware Linux Basics: For Slackware Linux 10.2 - Chapter 5. Installing Slackware Linux

Last edited by Bruce Hill; 03-26-2006 at 11:32 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
lestoil

Distribution: win2k,ubuntu,sw13,arch,centos5.3

Rep: Reputation: 31
oops forgot the "s" in slackbasics. Thanx Chinaman.