LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
biledaemon

Distribution: Slack 10.2; Debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Getting user@domain.com in Linux

From testing sendmail (and I am a newbie at that), I am able to send e-mail and receive e-mail using user@host.domain.com format. I have Comcast residential so I had to change SMART_HOSTS to my ISP's SMTP server addy and that way my e-mail was not treated as spam (coming from a dynamic IP block). However....

'Enter a host name' is what Slackware asks me to name the computer so I give it a name ...say...papajohns. Is it possible, without paying a third party, to give yourself an e-mail like admin@domain.com as opposed to admin@papajohns.domain.com using Sendmail or another kind of Mail Server program?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
spooon

Rep: Reputation: 51
(nevermind)

Last edited by spooon; 03-07-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Cottsay

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 31
uhh...I did it...somehow...I think it depends on where you're sending it from...I had the same problem until I started sending from an external IP...like if I use the mail command right from the local terminal, it was always "server.domain.tld", but if I used Dovecot to connect to the server, like putting "domain.tld" in as the server to send mail to that would then be sent, I got the "domain.tld" to appear as the from. This only worked though, if you have sendmail configured right. Personally, I preffer Postfix...but thats just me. Postfix is easier to configure with Dovecot, and generally easier to troubleshoot. Use the mail switcher to switch to Postfix if you like.

Scott